GSD To Study Persian Gulf

Researchers at the Harvard Graduate School of Design recently launched a cross-disciplinary study of the Persian Gulf region to aid future sustainable urbanism in the area when various economies shed their dependence on gas and oil revenue.

The region’s importance in the world fossil fuel market renders it a crucial place to examine sustainable development, according to the researchers.

“If the Arab region consumes its plentiful resources in a way that makes life not sustainable, then it will not be good for the entire world,” said Design School Professor Spiro N. Pollalis, principal investigator for the project.

Nations in the Gulf region are currently building cities based on European and American models, but they are unsuitable for the particular locale, according to the project’s senior research associate Nader Ardalan, who initiated the study.

The project will study development in the region. The researchers are currently examining the first phase, which is defined from the earliest prehistory—when humans started building settlements in the region—up to the advent of oil income, which enabled the region to discard their traditional patterns and build new cities in the 1950s and 1960s.

“The [Arab states] have realized that the way they are growing is unsustainable,” Pollalis said. “This is where they called Harvard University to simply help them.”

The researchers believe that the project can be replicated in other parts of the world since the methodology—examining history, environment, economics, public health, and development through the lens of architecture and urban design—could be applicable elsewhere.

“This does not impact just the Gulf region,” Pollalis said. “By having the sensitivity and sensibility to look at these resources, [our project] offers services to the world in an area that is really crucial.”

The project will result in the creation and circulation of an encyclopedia called the “Gulf Encyclopedia for Sustainable Urbanism,” which will make the research findings widely accessible.

“These are challenging issues for the Middle East,” said Harvard School of Public Health Professor John D. Spengler, a co-investigator of the project. “[Fortunately] we have a wonderful pool of multi-disciplinary experts working on this.”

—Staff writer Zhanrui Kuang can be reached at zkuang@fas.harvard.edu.

Recommended Articles

Harvard's Top Ten Common Stocks (June, 1966)
Company Shares  Market Value I.B.M.  87,634  $30,716,000 Texaco  375,326  26,414,000 General Motors  284,089  22,869,000 Gulf Oil  341,884  17,094,000 Standard Oil (N.J.)  223,523  15,3667,0
IOP Panel Raises Questions About Success Of Gulf War Given Current Situation in Iraq
The United States "snatched a modest victory from the jaws of triumph" in the Gulf War, the co-authors of a
Why Strike?
T HE ENTHUSIASTIC strike chants that brought down the curtain on Thursday night's anti-war meeting in Sanders Theater would seem
Remembering Hurricane Katrina
When a democracy fails to hold those accountable for their mistakes and when society keeps perpetuating misinformation we do not take steps to improve our infrastructure and planning.
Forgotten, But Not Gone
As responsible citizens, we must finish the cleanup and take steps to prevent another spill from happening.
Harvard Scientists Study Methane in Deep Sea Brian Pools
In a recent study undertaken to explore the consumption of hydrocarbons in deep sea environments, two Harvard scientists discovered that microbes in the Gulf of Mexico are consuming methane up to a hundred times faster than previously thought.