Cancun Taqueria y Más Brings New Mexican Cuisine to Mass. Ave.

The new Mexican eatery Cancun Taqueria y Más has opened at 1105 Mass. Ave. The restaurant has taken over the space formerly occupied by Lamole, next to Zoe's.
By Nikki D. Erlick

Jesus Sahagun began working in his uncle’s restaurant in Seattle at the age of 15. Starting as a dishwasher, Sahagun helped his family open multiple restaurants before eventually operating one location for 10 years.

“After that, he decided to sell his business there, come over to a different city, and open up a new restaurant,” said his wife, Areli Sahagun.

The new Mexican eatery Cancun Taqueria y Más, located a few blocks east of Harvard Yard at 1105 Mass. Ave, is the first restaurant that the couple has opened together. Started along with Areli Sahagun’s brother Felix Santana, the taqueria seats 60 and serves traditional Mexican plates, including fajitas, the most popular dish so far.

Cancun Taqueria y Más, which has no relation to Taqueria Cancun in East Boston, joins a variety of existing Mexican offerings in Harvard Square. Yet Areli Sahagun said the restaurant serves unique, authentic dishes that originated in and around Cuautla, Jalisco, Mexico, and were perfected after more than 25 years of business in the American Northwest.

“We’d been coming to Boston for two years back and forth, trying out the food and checking out the Mexican restaurants here,” Areli Sahagun said. “We thought our food could make an impact here, because we noticed that a lot of Mexican restaurants don’t have that authentic taste.”

Areli Sahagun said the restaurant opened in August to test the menu and make any necessary alterations. Though the restaurant remains open, she added that they are waiting to get an officially licensed sign before hosting a grand opening that will feature free tacos.

Cancun Taqueria y Más currently serves lunch and dinner from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day, with extended late-night hours Thursday through Saturday. Students with a Harvard ID can also receive a 10 percent discount on any Mexican dish.

“We feel that we know what we’re doing,” Areli Sahagun said, noting that both she and her husband grew up with families in the restaurant business. “And we hope everyone here at Harvard and in Cambridge likes our food.”

—Staff writer Nikki D. Erlick can be reached at nikki.erlick@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @nikkierlick.

Harvard SquareCambridgeThe SquareSquare Business