Homeland Security Secretary Discusses 'Building Bridges' at IOP

United States Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh C. Johnson spoke to the public at John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum on Monday night. In a wide-ranging talk, Johnson lectured on a variety of topics, including his ongoing initiatives to address the issues of homegrown terrorism, border, and aviation security.
By Nathaniel J. Hiatt, Crimson Staff Writer

Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh C. Johnson discussed both immigration and counterterrorism at the Institute of Politics’ John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum on Monday.

United States Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh C. Johnson spoke to the public at John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum on Monday night. In a wide-ranging talk, Johnson lectured on a variety of topics, including his ongoing initiatives to address the issues of homegrown terrorism, border, and aviation security. By Derek G. Xiao

Johnson spoke in front of a forum packed with students, visitors, and Secret Service agents. Graham T. Allison, director of the Belfer Center, moderated his address.

Johnson, who has been Secretary of Homeland Security since 2013, said he has focused on efforts to counter violent extremism during his tenure.

“One of the things we’re doing,” he said, is “to build bridges to the American Muslim communities to help them… counter the appeal of the Islamic State.”

“It’s a Homeland Security imperative that we enhance and expand upon our [counter-extremism] mission,” he said.

Johnson also spoke at length about immigration, including recent influxes of migrants from Latin America and refugees from the Middle East. He described it as “the hardest issue [he] has worked on in the government.”

Johnson has been public in his stance against barring all refugees into the United States, instead insisting the United States concentrate on “building bridges” with Muslims around the country.

He noted that the only time he became involved in the current presidential campaign was when Republican frontrunner Donald J. Trump insisted on banning all Muslims from entering the United States.

“Not only is it wrong, it is contrary to our Homeland Security interests,” he said of Trump’s plan.

Dominique A. Gilbert, a student at the Kennedy School, said she favored Johnson’s stance.

“I like that it is proactive. It’s the best long-term approach,” she said.

In an interview prior to the talk, Johnson also lambasted the plan put forth by several Republican candidates to deport all undocumented persons.

“It’s not wise, and it’s not possible… more than half of that population has been here for more than ten years,” he said. “They have become integrated members of the country, many of them have children, they live and work among us.”

Johnson also spoke about the Department's counterterrorism efforts in what he characterized as a “new phase of the global terrorism threat” with an increased risk of domestic terrorism.

“We’re on defense a lot,” Johnson said, denying that the Department of Homeland Security only reacts to past terrorist attacks. “What I preach to our folks is that we have to respond to the next terrorist attack, not the last one.”

Johnson emphasized that much of the work that Homeland Security does is behind the scenes, which may contribute to the public’s perception of the Department.

“The public doesn’t hear about all the extraordinary things that go toward keeping the homeland safe,” he said. “I think if more people knew about what our people do on behalf of the American public, on behalf of the taxpayer, you would be extraordinarily proud and impressed.”

IOPPoliticsHarvard Kennedy SchoolUniversityUniversity News2016 Election