Top Five Original Pixar Shorts

A still from Pixar’s animated short “Piper.”
A still from Pixar’s animated short “Piper.” By Courtesy of Disney/Pixar
By Hannah T. Chew, Contributing Writer

From the OG “Finding Nemo” to the new-and-improved “Incredibles 2,” Pixar movies are inarguably a childhood staple. Though often forgettable, Pixar shorts are an important part of the movie-going experience. Here are the top five Pixar shorts guaranteed to bring out the child in you!

(For the sake of relevancy (and my sanity) the following list will only include Pixar Original Shorts — not feature-affiliated shorts.)

5. One Man Band (2005)

“One Man Band” kicked off a new golden age of Pixar Shorts when it aired with “Cars” in 2005. One-man bands Bass and Treble face off in a Transformer-esque musical battle to win the attention — and shiny gold coin — of Tippy, a humble peasant girl. Their efforts result in an overwhelmed Tippy losing her coin in the sewer, then proceeding to outdo both performers with her one-girl band. Classic and nostalgic, this short is a classic for long-time Pixar fans.

4. Presto (2008)

Arguably Pixar’s funniest short, “Presto” takes the classic “magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat trope” and flips it on its head — at some points quite literally. Aired with “WALL-E” in 2008, “Presto” features “Tom and Jerry” cartoon violence as a rabbit refuses to cooperate with a stage magician’s demands. This cartoonish subversion of the familiar trope is comedic gold.

3. Bao (2018)

“Bao,” which aired alongside “Incredibles 2,” had audiences sniffling at the tale of a Chinese-Canadian mother wrestling with empty nest syndrome through care of a come-alive steamed bun. Asian-Americans rejoiced when the short won an Academy Award the following year, but it’s hard for anyone not to get misty-eyed while watching this masterpiece.

2. Lava (2014)

Although unconventional with its music video format, “Lava” and its accompanying song sung by Kuana Torres Kahele and Nāpua Greig present a new take Pixar’s beautiful animation style and storytelling. The love story of two volcanoes tugs on the cliché inner romantic in all of us, and the calming, catchy tune is guaranteed to get stuck in your head.

1. Piper (2016)

Showed alongside “Finding Dory,” this marine life-themed short showcases the animation and storytelling talent of Pixar. The adorable baby sandpiper protagonist learns to embrace the chaos of the waves, and (despite some marine biology inaccuracies) teaches audiences to overcome challenges without shoving the overused Pixar model of life lessons in the audience’s face. Whether you’re trying to procrastinate doing work or looking for an instant pick-me-up, “Piper” is perfect for every occasion.

ArtsCulture