Arts Vanity: The Art of the Perfect Plane Film

By Courtesy of Alisa Regassa and Joey Huang
By Monique I. Vobecky, Crimson Staff Writer

A film must be perfectly curated to be chosen 30,000 feet in the air. As an avid user of films to help distract me from my inability to sleep on planes, and to catch up on films I missed a chance to see in theaters — or to inevitably rewatch the same set of films every flight — I have developed extensive criteria for a film to be a perfect addition to any flight.

The obvious culprit of an inadequate plane film experience is a film in the horror genre — any film that makes its viewer jumpy mid-flight is bound to disappoint. Horror films remain some of my all-time favorites, as there is nothing quite like the psychological terror of watching mind-twisting themes and gore you have never before seen. However, these films belong on the living room screen, outside the watchful eyes of those around you, and not on the plane. Although, I can make an exception for a particularly well-done horror comedy.

Beloved franchises are the pinnacle of simple escapism. Included in most airline film catalogs, lengthy franchises naturally comfort passengers with familiar titles and faces. This is a facade. Nothing is comforting about watching the third “Harry Potter” movie, only to have the magic stripped away by the plane’s landing mid-film. How passengers reach any fulfilling ending to their moviegoing experience by watching fragments of a franchise is a mystery to us all. Franchise lovers don’t fret, I present you with a caveat: If the passenger knows each film extremely well, it is perfectly acceptable to watch films sporadically or out of sequence (ie. myself with the “Hunger Games” franchise).

It should go without saying that a sad film is one of the worst choices one can make in their film selection on a plane. If anything is remembered from this article, let it be this: Plane movies are meant to be lively modes of escape, not tear-jerkers packaged as emotionally fulfilling uses of flight time. Choosing a sad film to watch among hundreds of other passengers is simply setting oneself up for failure; an embarrassing walk past endless aisles to hide one’s tears in the bathroom is an inevitable repercussion of this illogical choice.

When thinking about the best films to engage with, two genres immediately come to mind: comedies and those with a bit of romance sprinkled in. Reaching a final destination is second to a plane trip's more important goal: Reaching the most fulfillment by watching a film (or more than one) with the least amount of brain power. Plane films should be enjoyable and simple. With the air travel experience categorized as stressful, simplicity in one’s choice of entertainment is key. Comedies serve to alleviate travel jitters or unfavorable airport experiences, and romantic comedies combine the amusement of humor with giving viewers something to root for.

It is no surprise that the most common films I see on plane screens are adventure movies. Films that feature action and energy, especially those that include a sci-fi or fantasy element, are sure to keep a passenger engaged long enough to allow them to forget about the seemingly endless hours they have left on the flight. A personal favorite genre of mine in this category is popular dystopian franchises that wisp you away with their engaging action sequences and questionable, yet enjoyable dialogue.

In all, an unmatched choice for a film on the plane is one of the viewer’s own personal connection. A familiar, beloved film allows the viewer to seep into the comfort of one of their favorite films, while still garnering excitement each time they turn it on — fostering an enriching plane tradition. Although I have made various arguments against specific genres, the viewer’s adoration for the film trumps all.

While choosing entertainment for a plane ride may seem senseless, I advise all to reflect on how they choose to spend their flight, no matter the duration. A plane film does not need to transcend the limits of cinema, it just needs to be perfectly suited for the passenger who watches it. And have fun with it, the best plane films are truly a mix of several genres and tones. After all, it's about the journey, not the destination.

—Outgoing Film Executive and Comp Director and incoming EAL? Monique I. Vobecky is currently re-downloading “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” to watch on the plane. You can contact her once she turns off airplane mode at monique.vobecky@thecrimson.com.

Year in ReviewArtsVanity