Arts Vanity: An Attempt to Decipher My Monthly Playlists

By Courtesy of Alisa Regassa and Joey Huang
By Najya S. Gause, Crimson Staff Writer

I am a creature of habit. So are, apparently, many of my friends. In February, when one of said friends kindly introduced me to the concept of creating “monthly playlists” to document one’s favorite songs from each month of the year, I was hooked. It’s like Spotify Wrapped, but 12 times a year. Joy.

As March came and went, I was diligent and faithful. Let me give you an example. I am listening to music, and a song comes on. I think: “Wow. I’m glad this song just came on.” I add it to my playlist. Let me give you another example. I am listening to music with my friends, and a song comes on. I smile, and think: “Wow. I love this song.” I add it to my playlist. And so, by the end of the month, my playlist — titled “3月,” because I am different — was bountiful and overflowing with subjectively (objectively) good music.

However, this process taught me something about myself: I am not a creature of habit. Scrolling through that playlist at the end of the month gave me whiplash, with a range of music that some may find impressive and others may find concerning. And so, allow me to give you the highlights from each of my monthly playlists of 2023, and explain what situations they were perfect for. Strap in. There are no emergency exits.

March, a.k.a. 3月

“Kome On” by D. Savage — Walking to class. Nobody can touch me.

“Gone Girl” by SZA — Leaving the Widener stacks as they close at 10p.m.. I will be back the next morning.

“shut down entirely” by meat computer — On repeat as I write a discussion post. I am a machine.

“Cigarettes out the Window” by TV Girl — 15 people are squeezing into my Canaday single. Everything is good.

April, a.k.a. 4月

“I Know I’m Funny haha” by Faye Webster — It was a rough day. The girls and I are sitting on my bed staring at the wall.

“Lean Beef Patty” by JPEGMAFIA — I am walking through the yard with sunglasses on. I wave at someone and they don’t wave back. It doesn’t matter.

“My Neighbor Totoro - Ending Theme Song” by Azumi Inoue — Sooooo happy.

“Let U Go” by lucidbeatz — I leave the party “for a bit” to let my social battery recharge. There is a good chance I am going to bed soon.

May, a.k.a. 5月

“Caught Their Eyes” by JAY-Z and Frank Ocean — 3 p.m. in Cambridge Commons. I have an exam next week, but the sun is out and nothing else matters.

“Souvenir” by Boygenius — I just finished an exam. I should have studied last week.

“Rock Co.Kane Flow (feat. MF Doom) by De La Soul — Final goodbyes before leaving for the summer. It is warm and we are tired.

“Meditate (feat J.I.D.) by EARTHGANG — In line for security at the airport. I don’t know it yet, but they will make me take my shoes off and I will realize I am wearing my minecraft socks.

June, a.k.a. 6月

“Julia” by Mt. Joy — I ride my bike for the first time in a while and I’m glad it’s one of those things. Like riding a bike.

“FANTAZIA” by Roy Blair — I am riding my bike and the wind is behind me. I am invincible.

“Sprinter” by Dave and Central Cee — I am riding my bike and I get hit by a car. That’s it. That’s what happened.

“Pikachu” by Yung Lean — I am riding my bike at night. I am obeying traffic rules.

July, a.k.a. 7月

“Unknown/Nth” by Hozier — Picnic in the park at night! I highly recommend.

“KLINK” by Smino — Picnic in the park during the day! These are also very nice.

“white tee” by Lil Peep — I can’t explain this one. It was a weird time.

“Buzzed” by ¿Teo? and WILLOW — Sipping on an icy bev after being in the heat for a long time. I will get a brain freeze if I drink it too fast, but I do it anyway.

August, a.k.a. 8月

“Weird Fishes/ Arpeggi” by Radiohead — I realize that summer is over soon. I am sad about it.

“Reality Surf” by Bladee — Walking back home late at night. I will miss all the stray cats on my street.

“Yeah Yeah” by Yung Nudy — Finding out that my new dorm room is actually the best place on Earth. Lit. A true Canaday rags-to-riches story.

“Sambassim (DJ Patife Remix)” by Fernanda Porto — Can’t explain this one either. This just happens sometimes.

Unfortunately, this is where I leave you. The rest of the year was a blur and I have no data on what I listened to. I’m sure it was good stuff. I encourage everyone who reads this to start making monthly playlists, if you don’t already. They are truly a treat.

—Incoming Music Executive Najya S. Gause is not ready. Send her words of encouragement at najya.gause@thecrimson.com.

Year in ReviewArtsVanity