In Photos: Grupo Frontera Visits Harvard

By Leanne Alvarado
By Leanne Alvarado

Grupo Frontera, a Mexican band from the Rio Grande Valley “el valle,” Texas visited Harvard on Wednesday for a conversation on their rise to fame. The band was hosted by Harvard-Radcliffe Raza, a student organization that honors Mexican and Latine student excellence on campus.

Harvard-Radcliffe Raza board members sit in conversation during the reception with Grupo Frontera at the Harvard Foundation.

Harvard Raza historian Bryant Y. Valenzuela ’25 and social co-chair Ana Paula Barba ’25 interviewed Grupo Frontera.

Grupo Frontera members pose for a photo at the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural & Race Relations.

The group's hit single “No Se Va” hit the Billboard’s Top 100 in 2022, making them one of few regional Mexican bands to top the Billboard charts. Since then the group has been on a steady incline of success with their recent hit single “Un x100to” with Bad Bunny hitting No. 5 on the charts.

Grupo Frontera members look up at Widener Library from Tercentenary Theatre during a tour of Harvard Yard.

Grupo Frontera member Julian Peña Jr. visits Widener Library for the first time.

Harvard Mariachi Veritas performs for Grupo Frontera at the Science Center.

Harvard Raza members gather at the Science Center to watch an interview with Grupo Frontera.

Adelaido “Payo” Solis speaks to attendees about his experience coming from a border city to achieving celebrity and fame.

The band spoke to Harvard Raza attendees about their lives in “el valle” Texas, growing up in a border city and reckoning with a new responsibility to their community after achieving stardom. The event was attended by students all over the university with many laughs shared throughout the duration of the interview.

President Leo Barrera ’24 and the Harvard Raza board prepare to present Harvard-themed gifts and a “Trailblazer” award to Grupo Frontera.

Grupo Frontera members hold their Trailblazer award and pose with Harvard Raza members for a final group photo.

Latin AmericaPhoto EssayFront Photo Feature