Best Murals in Boston: Bostonian Brushstrokes Make the City a Brighter Place

“Transmission” may initially appear much less ambitious, but it shows great prowess at interpreting its own setting.
“Transmission” may initially appear much less ambitious, but it shows great prowess at interpreting its own setting. By Courtesy of Todd Mazer
By Ria S. Cuellar-Koh, Crimson Staff Writer

Aside from Boston’s wealth of museums, the city additionally hosts an abundance of public art. Beyond the iconic historical monuments commemorating Boston’s rich revolutionary history, Boston’s murals serve as a delightful contemporary showcase of skill and imbue the city with creative ambiance.

1. “Intersectional Environmentalism: Generational Uproot” by Nneka Jones

Located on the south side of the Donald McKay School, Nneka Jones’s “Intersectional Environmentalism: Generational Uproot” looks with a striking gaze. The realistic yet simplified coloring of a young Black girl contrasts with the flat planes of color present in abstracted waves and concentric circles. Her head, held defiantly above the waves, suggests resistance while also implicating viewers in our complicity. In her artist statement, Jones states that the mural tackles the disproportionate effects of climate change on Black and brown youth, which comes across powerfully in the target-like circles that overlap with the girl’s head.

2. “Transmission” by Augustine Kofie

Compared to the grand scale of most of the other murals on this list, “Transmission” may initially appear much less ambitious, but it shows great prowess at interpreting its own setting. Situated at 450 Huntington Avenue, “Transmission” is a jagged black and white abstract mural. The angular, fragment-like pieces mimic the straight lines present in the building’s stonework. The Greco-Romanesque columns nearby contrast with the harsh modernity of these perfect circles and crisp edges. The piece’s small size also makes it a pleasant surprise for those who notice it, imbuing Boston with a little bit of aesthetic whimsy.

3. “Tale of an Ancient Vase” by Bryan Beyung

Situated in Chinatown, Bryan Beyung’s “Tale of an Ancient Vase” cuts an impressive figure. At its center stands a realistic blue and white porcelain vase. Surrounding the vase are elements and objects that reference the legend of Emperor Shun, painted with flat reds, greens, and grays. This juxtaposition of the vase’s realism with the complete lack of dimensionality in the background gives the vase a three-dimensional effect. The contrasting colors make the vase stand out even further. Beyung captivates viewers with his painting prowess through the sharp patterns in the background as well as the extremely detailed decoration on the vase. Overall, the mural showcases a wealth of symbolic meaning, due both to its location and to the technical skill required to make it.

4. “A Sea Bird” by Maria Molteni

When conceptualizing a mural, most that come to mind are vertical. Maria Molteni specializes in the opposite, decorating basketball courts with delightfully bright, simplified forms. “A Sea Bird,” a public basketball court in Seaport, illustrates semi-abstract nautical objects — multicolored ropes, flags, clouds, and more. Painted in flat planes, the image makes the entire court come to life with washes of yellows, blues, reds, and oranges. “A Sea Bird” serves as a charming reminder of the buoyancy all around Boston.

5. “Souledad” by Victor “Marka27” Quiñonez

It’s difficult to describe “Souledad.” The sheer impact of its scale already inspires awe. This towering size is made even more impactful by the beautiful multicultural symbols painted on the building — a Puerto Rican flag, a dragon, and Haitian colors visible in the woman’s hair wrap. Beyond their cultural significance, the symbols are also meant to represent specific neighborhoods in Boston, emphasizing the rich tapestry of identities present in the city. With the stark brick left bare behind the figures, this beautiful image of woman and child emerges from the ether, reminding us all of our bonds with each other.

ArtsCultureMetro Arts