Men's Hockey Climbs to No. 4 in National Polls

Published by Michael D. Ledecky on December 15, 2014 at 8:46PM
Men's Ice Hockey - 11 Kyle Criscuolo

Junior co-captain Kyle Criscuolo has helped lead Harvard to its best start in over two decades.

The Harvard men’s ice hockey team received a promotion today without even stepping on the ice this past week.

The team (9-1-2, 5-1-2 ECAC) hasn’t played since its 5-2 win at Quinnipiac on Dec. 6 yet jumped from fifth to fourth in both of the national weekly polls on Monday. Beanpot rival Boston University (11-3-2) also moved up in the top five, overtaking the University of North Dakota (13-4-2) for the top spot in both polls.

(Continued)

Biega '10 Called Up to Canucks

Published by Michael D. Ledecky on December 13, 2014 at 8:38PM
Alex Biega

Alex Biega '10

Alex Biega ’10 will have his shot at the big league.

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced on Friday that the Canucks have recalled Biega, a former Harvard men’s hockey captain, from the American Hockey League’s Utica Comets. 

Biega, a 26-year-old defenseman from Montreal, served as the Crimson’s 116th captain in his senior season. The former Quincy House resident led all Harvard defensemen in scoring in his sophomore year and was named to the ECAC All-Tournament team in 2008. Harvard honored Biega as the team’s most valuable player after each of his last two collegiate seasons.

Drafted 147th overall by the Buffalo Sabres in 2006, Biega has played on three different AHL teams in four professional seasons but has yet to play a game in the NHL. He ranks second among Comets defensemen in scoring this season with 10 points in 25 games. 

The Canucks will host the New York Rangers tomorrow. It is unclear whether Biega will dress for the contest.

Biega played alongside brothers Michael ’11 and Danny ’12. The trio was the second set of three brothers to play together on the same team, following the Moore brothers (Mark ’00, Steve ’01, and Dominic ’03). Danny, who was named an All-American following his junior season, has four points in 23 games this season with the Charlotte Checkers, the Carolina Hurricanes’ AHL affiliate. 

Hodges Named Co-Ivy Defensive Player of the Year

Published by Isabel DeLaura on December 10, 2014 at 3:33PM
Hustlin' Hodges

Senior defensive end Zack Hodges was named Ivy League Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

In the four years Zack Hodges donned the No. 99 jersey, the Harvard football team lost just four games. The senior defensive end has ended his collegiate career on a similarly high note, earning a Co-Ivy Defensive Player of the Year honor due to his high level of performance throughout the Crimson’s undefeated 2014 season.

This year marks the second straight season Hodges captured the Bushnell Cup, awarded to the Ancient Eight’s most dominant player on either side of the ball.

The senior’s consistent play also earned him multiple awards outside of this Ivy honor, which was conferred in a ceremony at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York, N.Y. Hodges has accepted an offer to compete in the Reese’s Senior Bowl and was invited to play in the East-West Shrine Game. In addition, he was selected for multiple preseason lists and All-America teams, including the FCS North All-American First Team.

(Continued)

Men's Hockey Earns No. 5 Ranking in National Polls

Published by Michael D. Ledecky on December 10, 2014 at 12:48AM
So Vesey

Junior forward Jimmy Vesey has helped lead the Harvard men's hockey team to its quickest start since the 1992-1993 season.

The Harvard men’s ice hockey team will enter exam week ranked No. 5 in the national polls.

The latest editions of both the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls, released on Monday, rank the Crimson fifth. Harvard (9-1-2, 5-1-2 ECAC) received six out of 50 first-place votes in the USCHO.com poll and four out of 34 first-place votes in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll.

(Continued)

Men's Basketball Looks to Continue Strong Play Against Boston University

Published by David Freed on December 08, 2014 at 6:36PM
Siying Ahead

Junior co-captain Siyani Chambers and his Harvard men's basketball team will take on another local foe on Monday night: Boston University

After surviving its first road test of the year, the Harvard men’s basketball team (6-1) returns to the cozy confines of Lavietes Pavilion to take on Boston University (7:00 p.m., Ivy League Digital Network) Monday night in the squad's last game before the end of finals period. Below, The Back Page takes a look at three things to keep your eye on as Harvard winds down its first half of nonconference play.

(Continued)