Men's Hockey Welcomes Eight Recruits to Class of 2021

Published by Spencer R. Morris on June 23, 2017 at 10:39PM
Gaze of Glory

Head coach Ted Donato'91 hopes to see bigger and better things in his fifth NCAA tournament appearance as a coach.

After graduating seven seniors, the Harvard men’s hockey team enters the summer looking to fill a large void. And with the announcement of an eight-man incoming freshman class, the Crimson appears to be on its way to doing so.

The hockey program, coming off a campaign decorated by Beanpot, Ivy League, ECAC, and East Regional titles en route to the team’s first Frozen Four appearance since 1994, published Thursday that it will add the octet of rookies.

All eight skaters are American, and they represent six different states. Five are forwards, while three man the blue line.

At commencement this spring, Harvard took a hit in its forward ranks, losing six impactful players. These fourth-years were mighty in not only number but also skill. The Crimson’s class of 2017 notched the most points of any senior group in the country with 193. What’s more­, the majority are pursuing professional careers, whether abroad or in the National Hockey League (NHL) and American Hockey League (AHL).

With the graduation of 2016-2017 co-captain Alexander Kerfoot, the Crimson’s only pair of brothers was broken up. Younger sibling Colton, who remains on the squad as a rising sophomore, is seeking a larger role in Harvard’s forward corps this season.

But the 2017-2018 season brings another brotherhood in the locker room. Scituate, Mass., native Jack Donato, son of Crimson coach Ted ’91 and brother of rising junior Ryan, is among the incoming eight Harvard skaters. Donato has spent the past four years representing Dexter Southfield and the Cape Cod Whalers hockey program.

Joining Donato in the forward ranks is Jack Badini of Greenwich High School and the United States Hockey League’s (USHL) Chicago Steel, for which he served as an alternate captain in the team’s Clark Cup championship season. A large piece in the Steel’s title run, Badini tallied the most points in the playoffs. Before hoisting the hardware with the Steel, Badini played for the Lincoln Stars along with a fellow Crimson recruit Henry Bowlby, who joins the program from Edina, Minn.

Rounding out the rookie forwards are Mitchell Perreault from Findlay, Ohio, and Benjamin Solin from Madison, Conn. Perrault concluded his 2017 junior season with the Sioux Falls Stampede in the USHL, while Solin led his Phillips Exeter Academy team in points in 2016 before doing the same in 2017 as a rookie for the British Columbia Hockey League’s (BCHL) Nanaimo Clippers.

On the blue line, Harvard brings on another Edina native in Benjamin Foley, who captained the USHL’s Cedar Rapids Roughriders last season. The other two rearguards joining the program next season are Nick Azar, a Grosse Pointe, Mich., dweller who played for the USHL’s Tri-City Storm in 2016-2017, and Reilly Walsh, who hails from Andover, N.H.

Walsh ranked as high as 60th on Central Scouting’s final list leading up to the NHL Entry Draft and played alongside Badini as a member of the Steel in 2016-2017. The Proctor Academy product also played for Team USA in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.

—Staff writer Spencer R. Morris can be reached at spencer.morris@thecrimson.com

Gabby Thomas is the Fastest Woman in the World

Published by Cade Palmer on April 12, 2017 at 5:55PM
Up and Over

Sophomore Gabby Thomas doesn't compete in the hurdles, but the Mass. native has vaulted over the competition in her two years with Harvard.

How fast is sophomore sprinter Gabby Thomas? According to recent results, no one in the world is faster.

A couple weeks into the outdoor track season, Thomas is already rising to international contention. On March 31 at the Florida Relays, the sophomore ran a 200-meter dash in 22.60 seconds.

Coincidentally, no one in the world has run the event faster this outdoor season.

Tied for the best 2017 time in the world, Thomas shares the honor with Veronica Campbell-Brown from Jamaica, who achieved the feat the day before, and Felicia Brown, a recent graduate of the University of Tennessee. Campbell-Brown is an eight-time Olympic medalist and two-time Olympic Champion in the 200-meter, the race in which Thomas tied her time on the 31st.

The time isn’t even Thomas’ best of her collegiate career. In her rookie season, Thomas grabbed both the Harvard and Ivy League record in the 2016 NCAA Outdoor Championships. There, the then-freshman placed third with a time of 22.47 seconds. With the bronze finish, Thomas was also named a first team All-American in the event.

Thomas already has some experience with the Olympic process. Last season heading to the United States Olympic Trials, the Florence, Mass., native was one of three collegiate athletes to compete in the finals of the 200-meter dash. Thomas finished sixth in the field with a time of 22.72.

Also in her freshman season, Thomas set both school and Ivy League records in the outdoor 100- and 200-meter runs in addition to the indoor 60-meter race. She was also a member of 4x100 and 4x400-meter relay teams that broke school records.

Last weekend, Thomas didn’t compete in the 200-meter but instead took to the field, completing the long jump in the historic Harvard Yale Oxford Cambridge Track meet. She characteristically broke a 15-year school record and brought home gold in the field event.

Earlier this year, the indoor meets were not exempt from the dominance of the Florence, Mass., native. Thomas claimed eighth in the 200-meter dash and carried first team All-American honors yet again.

Skiing Standout Nadler Named to William S. Broadbent Family Harvard Skiing All-Time Team

Published by Kim Arango on April 11, 2017 at 11:35PM

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: April 13, 2017

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Rebecca Nadler '14 was inducted into the Harvard Varsity Club Hall of Fame. Nadler will not be eligible for this honor until 2029.

Rebecca Nadler '14 will become the first Harvard skier to be chosen to the newly created William S. Broadbent Family Harvard Skiing All-Time Team. She will be honored later this year.

The class of 2017 inductee quickly became a dominant force in NCAA women’s alpine skiing beginning her freshman year. The Ottawa, Ont., native opened her collegiate career with a fourth-place finish at her first giant slalom race at the St. Lawrence Winter Carnival. She also had strong showings at giant slalom races at the Colby Winter Carnival before qualifying for the NCAA Championships during the 2010-2011 campaign.

Nadler only continued to achieve more success her sophomore year. She opened the 2011-2012 season with a sixth-place finish in the giant slalom event at the Bates Winter Carnival as well as with two second place finishes and a win at various other races before qualifying for the NCAA Championships for the second year in a row.

As a sophomore, the Nadler became the first Harvard skier, male or female, to win a national championship with a first place finish in the giant slalom event in Montana. Her winning time of 1:41.82 also earned her All-American status for the season. Nadler was also just the fourth woman from the Eastern Region of the NCAA to win the giant slalom title. She placed seventh in the slalom event to cap off her unprecedented campaign.

Nadler kept earning more accolades in the rest of her Harvard career, qualifying both her junior and senior year for the NCAA Championships. Ending her collegiate career on a high note, she once again received All-American status with a sixth place finish in the giant slalom event at the NCAA Championships her senior year.

The All-American and 2011 National Champion graduated in 2014 with a degree in neurobiology.

Athlete of the Week: Romeo, Thomas Highlight Big Weekend for Harvard Sports

Published by Kim Arango on April 06, 2017 at 11:25PM

MARISA ROMEO, ATTACKER, WOMEN’S LACROSSE

Guiding Harvard on Sunday to a 3-0 winning record in the Ivy League was senior captain and attacker Marisa Romeo. In the away match against Dartmouth College, the Crimson defeated the Big Green in an exhilarating 17-12 victory. Romeo led the Harvard offense with five goals, seven points, and two assists. The Syracuse, N.Y native’s prolific game matched her season high record of scoring and points against Yale on March 4 and brings her to a total of 35 goals this season.

A few days prior on Mar. 28th, in a tight 10-9 loss to Stanford University, Romeo recorded her seventh hat trick of the season along with posting five points. The Syracuse, N.Y. led the Crimson offense with three goals, seven shots, six of those shots on goal, as well as leading with two assists.

Overall, the senior captain currently leads the Crimson squad in goals, points, assists, and shots on goal this season, with 35 goals, 49 points, 14 assists, and 59 shots on goal in the 10 games the team has played.

GABBY THOMAS, SPRINTER, WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD

The past weekend, Harvard Track and Field sent some of its players to Gainesville, Flor. for the Florida Relays. On Friday Mar. 31, sophomore sprinter Gabby Thomas continued her record breaking season with a new school record in the 100 meter dash. The new Crimson school record of 11.24 seconds placed Thomas in third place overall at the relays.

The Florence, Mass. native went on to claim a victory in the 200 meter dash, nearly breaking her personal record of 22.47 seconds with a time of 22.60 seconds.

Thomas also excelled in team events, running in the Harvard’s 4x400 meter relay team that recorded a top-10 school time and finished fourth in the relays with a time of 3:39.35 to qualify the Crimson for the final.

The following day on Saturday, the 4x400 meter relay squad competed in the finals. Freshman pentathlete Zoe Hughes, freshman sprinter Karina Joiner, senior sprinter Jade Miller, and Thomas recorded a time of 3:37.43, placing the Crimson on the podium in third place.

Athlete of the Week Runners Up: Gabby Thomas, Marisa Romeo

Published by Meg Leatherwood on March 28, 2017 at 12:25AM

An impressive weekend for Harvard athletics saw outstanding performances from a number of athletes. Freshman Dean Farris of the men’s swimming and diving team and junior Merrick Madsen of the men’s hockey team were awarded co-Athletes of the Week recognition. However, Gabby Thomas of women’s track and field and Marisa Romeo of women’s lacrosse also had notable performances, earning them Athlete of the Week runners-up honors.

GABBY THOMAS, WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD

Saturday proved to be yet another distinguished day for sophomore sprinter Thomas at the Hurricane Collegiate Invitational, hosted by the University of Miami. The all-American placed first in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.34 seconds. Her time marked the fastest recorded in the East region for the event this season. It was also just four-hundredths of a second slower than her previous personal record in the event, which is a Harvard school record.

Not only did Thomas medal in the 100-meter, but she also played a record-setting role in the 4x400-meter relay. The Massachusetts native, along with teammates Jade Miller, Zoe Hughes, and Karina Joiner, placed fourth in the relay event. Their time of 3:42.12 was enough to break the top-10 for the fastest recorded times in school history.

Thomas also participated in the 4x100-meter relay with Miller, Joiner, and Ngozi Musa. The group set another school record with a time of 45.43 seconds. The time earned Thomas and the others sixth place and marked the third fastest time in the history of the Crimson’s program.

MARISA ROMEO, WOMEN’S LACROSSE

Senior attacker Romeo scored four goals in Saturday’s game to lead the Harvard women’s lacrosse team to a 10-8 victory over Cornell. Adding to her high-scoring act, Romeo had two assists on the day. The Syracuse native has now recorded 37 points and 27 goals on the season. Romeo’s strong performance this weekend also added the 10 assists she has put up in the first eight games of the season.

Romeo’s solid showing was also enough for her to pass Kaitlin Martin, class of 2009, on the Crimson’s all-time leading scorers list. Romeo is now ranked fourth with 141 career goals.

After a goal from Romeo gave the Crimson an early lead, Columbia battled back to make a competitive game. Yet Romeo held firm, adding three more goals and driving the Crimson to victory.