Casey Signs First Pro Contract With Slovenian Club

Published by Juliet Spies-Gans on August 30, 2014 at 7:13PM

It looks like Kyle Casey ’13-14 will be the defensive anchor of a new team this season.

According to a press release issued Friday morning, the former men’s basketball standout will be taking his talents to central Slovenia. Casey will be joining KK Helios Suns Domžale of the Premier A Slovenian League for the 2014-2015 campaign. He will take the court for the first time against Portoroz on Oct. 11.

Casey, who was listed as 6’7” on the Crimson’s roster, will find himself surrounded by fellow big men on his new squad. The forward will be one of eight Helios Suns players at least 6’6” tall, a marked difference from the undersized Harvard lineup in which Casey played center his senior year.

This past season, Casey proved his worth to the Crimson on the defensive end. The former Ivy League Rookie of the Year grabbed 5.6 rebounds and collected 1.2 blocks per game, second on the squad in both categories. Casey also tallied 1.3 dimes per contest, the most of any big man.

While Casey will be based in Domžale, his main competition will hail from the southeast—in the form of BC Krka, which has won the league’s last five championships—and from the capital—in the form of KK Union Olimpija, the team which has made the Premier A finals in every year but one since the turn of the century.

The news of the signing comes just two weeks after Casey’s former teammate Brandyn Curry ’13-14 inked a deal with SPM Shoeters Den Bosch of the Dutch Basketball League.

Curry Signs with Dutch Team

Published by Juliet Spies-Gans on August 15, 2014 at 6:42PM
Dutch Curry

Former Harvard co-captain Brandyn Curry '14 may get his first chance to play for the 15-time Dutch Basketball League champions on Sept. 10.

Joining the ranks of Oliver McNally ’12 and Keith Wright ’12, former Harvard men’s basketball co-captain Brandyn Curry ’14 will play the next leg of his hoops career on the opposite side of the Atlantic.

(Continued)

Crimson Will Attempt Repeat Title on the Gridiron

Published by Jacob D. H. Feldman on August 08, 2014 at 12:07PM
MURPHY'S LAW

Coach Tim Murphy will look to win Harvard's 16th Ivy League football title during the 2014 season. The Crimson is projected to finish second in the league, as per the conference's preseason media poll.

Football Talking about football is back.

Tuesday morning, 45 days before the Harvard football team kicks off its season against Holy Cross, the Ivy League released its 2014 Preseason Media Poll and hosted a marathon teleconference with each coach in the conference and select media members. A lot came out of the conversation.

FORMATTING NOTE: To keep things neat, I will include all of the news from the event below. Interspersed will be some of my thoughts in italics. Feel free to skip it. No, read it.

(Continued)

MURPHY'S LAW Coach Tim Murphy will look to win Harvard's 16th Ivy League football title during the 2014 season. The Crimson is projected to finish second in the league, as per the conference's preseason media poll.

Liverpool F.C. Practices at Harvard

Published by Jake Meagher on July 28, 2014 at 7:02PM

Although the Harvard men’s and women’s soccer teams will not be in action for another month, there certainly has not been a shortage of excitement at Ohiri Field this week.

Liverpool Football Club, one of the top teams in the English Premier League, arrived in Boston Monday to kick off its summer tour of the United States. And for the second time in the last three years, the Reds elected to practice at Harvard over the course of their stay.

For much of the week, Liverpool ran both morning and afternoon training sessions at Ohiri. Hundreds of fans lined the gates each day, and many were even treated to autographs and photo opportunities with some of the Reds, including star midfielder Steven Gerrard and forward Daniel Sturridge.

Over the past few years, Liverpool has developed strong ties to the Boston area. In October 2010, the club was sold to Fenway Sports Group, the sports investment company that owns the Boston Red Sox. Since then, John Henry, the owner of the two squads, has been working to generate support for the Reds in Massachusetts.

One of Henry’s initiatives was to bring his new club to the home of his old one. He helped establish the “Football at Fenway” series in 2010 and brought Liverpool to the ballpark for its Boston debut in 2012. The Reds took on A.S. Roma, an Italian Serie A Club, under the lights of Fenway in front of a sold-out crowd of 37,169 fans.

This year, Liverpool opened its American Tour with a rematch against Roma at Fenway Park on July 23. With most of their starters on the bench, the Reds fell, 1-0, but they will have several more chances to pick up a win during their stay in the States. The club plays next at Soldier Field in Chicago Sunday against Olympiacos. Henry’s team will also take on Manchester City at Yankee Stadium and A.C. Milan in North Carolina before heading back to Anfield.

Prior to leaving for Chicago, however, the Reds decided to give back to the city of Boston. In addition to running their own practices at Harvard, several Liverpool coaches conducted a free soccer clinic for kids from Allston-Brighton, Boston, Cambridge, and Watertown last Sunday at Soldiers Field.

Liverpool kicks off its regular season August 17 against Southampton. After finishing second last season, the Reds will be looking for their first Premier League title since 1990.