Athlete of the Week Runners Up: Week of 9/28

Published by Jack Stockless on October 06, 2015 at 3:26PM

While women's soccer junior Midge Purce took home the Athlete of the Week honors, three Harvard athletes finished still managed to stand out as runners-up for Athlete of the Week. The trio each contributed significantly over the weekend, helping their teams emerge victorious.

Kathleen Wallace, Women's Volleyball

The senior outside hitter racked up a total of 13 kills in Harvard’s match against Penn. Wallace’s performance guided the team to its second win in Ivy League play as the Crimson prevailed in straight sets, 3-0. The San Francisco, Calif. native also tallied four digs and four blocks in the contest, and she finished with a .370 hitting percentage.

In the first eight matches of her final year at Harvard, the senior is averaging career highs in kills per set, digs per set, as well as a career-high .251 hitting percentage. As women’s volleyball continues its conference play, Wallace figures to play an important role in the team’s quest to repeat as Ivy League champions.

Jake Freeman, Men's Soccer

In Harvard’s 3-1 victory over Yale on Saturday, it was senior forward Jake Freeman who netted the game-winning goal. With his 63rd minute score—a diving header past the Bulldog keeper—Freeman put the Crimson up for good to lead the team to its second win of the year.

The native of Melville, N.Y. has built on impressive freshman and junior-year campaigns and has already recorded six points in the team’s first eight games. Freeman has impressed in the spotlight, having scored in one of two draws against nationally-ranked opponents and having tallied the game-winner in each of the team’s wins.

Noah Reimers, Football

Reimers ran 15 times for a total of 64 yards on Friday in Harvard’s 45-0 shutout of Georgetown and ended up in the end zone after three of them. The freshman running back now leads the Ivy League with five rushing touchdowns. He is averaging 48.0 all-purpose yards per game and 5.3 yards per carry.

The rookie has seen the field in each of Harvard’s first three games of 2015, and he won Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors in back-to-back weeks for his performances against Brown and Georgetown. With an impressive hurdle of a Georgetown defender on Friday, Reimers earned a spot on SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays.

Men's Hoops Earns NABC Team Academic Excellence Award

Published by Stephen J. Gleason and Theresa C. Hebert on August 24, 2015 at 3:44AM
Okolie NABC

Four members of the Crimson also earned individual distinctions from the NABC, including senior Agunwa Okolie.

The Harvard men’s basketball team was one of three Division I programs that participated in this year's NCAA Tournament to receive the NABC Team Academic Excellence Award. The National Association of Basketball Coaches bestows the honor on teams that reach a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.

Additionally, four student-athletes were honored with a place on the NABC Honors Court. Charlie Anastasi '15, Alex Nesbitt '15, and seniors Agunwa Okolie and Patrick Steeves received the honor, which is given annually to junior and senior athletes who maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better.

Okolie, an Economics concentrator from Ajax, Ont., had a breakout 2014-2015 campaign, earning the Crimson's Most Improved Player Award. The swingman progressed in nearly every statistical category and became a key contributor for Harvard, starting 27 of the team's 30 games and often covering the opponent's top scorer.

Fellow Ivy League teams Columbia and Yale joined the Crimson in receiving the team distinction, while the Crimson led the Ancient Eight with its four individual honorees. Northern Iowa and Belmont were the only other teams to receive the award and qualify for the NCAA Tournament.

Overall, Harvard was one of 175 teams recognized, while Anastasi, Nesbitt, Okolie, and Steeves joined a record-setting 1,000 players in the Honor Court.

Kyle Casey '13-'14 Signs With Phoenix Suns

Published by David Freed on August 23, 2015 at 3:52PM
Casey to Phoenix

Kyle Casey '13-'14 has reportedly signed with the Phoenix Suns.

With the ability to keep 15 salaried players on their roster, the Phoenix Suns have reportedly filled the end of their bench with former Harvard men's basketball forward Kyle Casey ’13-’14. The Suns, who had just 13 players with guaranteed salaries on their roster, signed Casey and shooting guard Terrico White to training-camp contracts on Friday, according to the reports.

Casey averaged just over 11 points a game as a junior before taking on a reduced role in his final season in Cambridge, averaging just under 10 points a game. He shot better than 50 percent in his first three seasons at Harvard and was a four-time All-Ivy League teamer. The 2009-2010 Ivy League Rookie of the Year ranks among the top-15 in Harvard history in points, rebounds, and blocks.

After college, Casey was invited to workouts with various NBA teams—including the hometown Boston Celtics—but eventually went undrafted. After a summer league stint with the Brooklyn Nets, Casey played the 2014-2015 season overseas for Helios in Slovenia.

In camp, Casey will likely compete with Sonny Weems for playing time on the wing behind presumed starter P.J. Tucker and top reserve T.J. Warren. If he doesn’t make the team, he will likely suit up for Phoenix’s D-League affiliate, the Bakersfield Jam, this coming season.

Men's Basketball Schedule Features Trips to Kansas, Hawaii

Published by Stephen J. Gleason and Theresa C. Hebert on August 19, 2015 at 2:20PM
Let's Get It Started

The Harvard men's basketball team will kick off its 2015-2016 campaign on Nov. 13 against MIT.

The Harvard men’s basketball team unveiled its 2015-2016 schedule on July 29 — one that features a challenging nonconference slate, including a matchup with Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse on Dec. 5.

After its annual Crimson Madness event in October and an exhibition contest against McGill on Nov. 6, Harvard will once again kick off its regular season against crosstown rival MIT on Nov. 13 at Lavietes Pavilion.

The Crimson will then be tested early and often, as the team will face regional foes Providence, UMass, and Boston College in consecutive games prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. The Friars reached the NCAA tournament as a No. 6 seed last season, while both Massachusetts teams pushed Harvard to the brink last year, as the Crimson just edged out the Minutemen, 75-73, and fell to the Eagles, 64-57, in overtime.

In December, Harvard will hit the road to take on two more opponents who reached the Big Dance last March: Northeastern (Dec. 2) and Kansas (Dec. 5). The Jayhawks, who earned a No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament last season, will pose the biggest challenge for the Crimson since Virginia, who defeated Harvard by 49 points last December.

Following a hiatus for final exams, the team will head west, where it will compete in the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu from Dec. 22 to Dec. 25. The Crimson has seen success in recent years at in-season tournaments, claiming titles at the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2011 and the Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout in 2013.

In addition to BYU, who Harvard will face in the first round, the Crimson will be joined by Auburn, New Mexico, Northern Iowa, Oklahoma, Washington State, and host Hawaii at the holiday tournament. The bracket creates the potential for a rematch of the 2013 NCAA tournament contest between Harvard and New Mexico, in which the Crimson earned its first tournament win in team history.

When its nonconference schedule comes to a close, the Crimson will then have to work to defend its Ivy League title on a late season road trip against Columbia, Cornell, Yale, and Brown from Feb. 19 to Feb. 27.

The team’s Ancient Eight slate will officially begin at home on Jan. 9 against Dartmouth, who handed the Crimson one of its three conference losses during the 2014-2015 campaign. And it will wrap up on March 4 and 5, when Harvard hosts Princeton and Penn.

Football Picked to Repeat as League Champions

Published by Sam Danello on August 15, 2015 at 2:53PM

After finishing the 2014 season undefeated for just the third time in a century, the Harvard football team will look to take home another title.

The Harvard football team’s quest for a third-straight Ivy League championship took a step forward this week when Ancient Eight media members picked the Crimson to finish atop the league.

Coming off a 10-0 season, Harvard garnered 11 of 17 first-place votes and 130 points overall. That was enough to push the Crimson in front of Dartmouth, which received four first-place nods and 116 total points. The Big Green finished second in the league last year.