Men's Basketball's Saunders Named to ECAC All-Star Second Team

Published by Phil Delamater on April 20, 2014 at 10:36PM
Saunders

Junior wing Wesley Saunders added another award to his accolade list, earning a spot on the ECAC All-Star Second Team.

The terrific run for Harvard men’s basketball continued last week, and in this case, it came in the form of an individual honor for one of its stars. Junior wing Wesley Saunders was named to the ECAC Division I All-Star second team, joining Billy Baron of Canisius, Aaron Craft of Ohio State, Bryce Cotton of Providence, and Malcolm Brogdon of Virginia on the select squad. 

(Continued)

Club Sports Athletes from Women's Hockey, Cricket Recognized

Published by Julio Fierro on April 20, 2014 at 7:53PM
Chirp, Chirp

Senior Ibrahim Khan, captain of the club cricket team, was recognized as 2014 Male Club Sports Athlete of the Year.

While club sports may arguably not receive the same amount of attention which their varsity counterparts attain, the athletes involved in these competitions deliver a similar amount of work and effort.

(Continued)

Fencing Competes at Junior Worlds, Men's Volleyball Picks Up Award

Published by Caleb Lee on April 19, 2014 at 5:57PM

It was a busy week both on and off the field for Harvard athletes, including those not currently in season. The Back Page takes a closer look.

Harvard Fencers at Junior World Championships

While Harvard fencers compete for the Crimson during the season, much of their competition comes on the international circuit. When not in season, the majority of the team goes abroad to fence against some of the world’s best, and the level of fencing is generally understood to be higher than that of the NCAA.

(Continued)

Men's Basketball Appears in a Variety of Preseason Rankings

Published by David Freed on April 18, 2014 at 1:05AM

Just a week after Shabazz Napier and the UConn “Hungry” Huskies took home the 2014 NCAA men’s basketball championship, prognosticators have already begun looking towards next season. For the third straight year, the Harvard men’s basketball team has made a selection of preseason lists. The Back Page has a list of what everyone is saying about Harvard so far this year.

(Continued)

Athlete of the Week Runners-Up: Week of 4/14

Published by Julian Ryan on April 17, 2014 at 9:28PM

It’s “sun’s out, guns out” season for Harvard athletics, with the cruel throes of winter finally gone for good (hopefully). Sophomore pitcher Laura Riccardione took full advantage, tossing two beauties over the weekend to smite the Brown Bears squad in its stead. For her work, she takes top honors this week, but she was certainly not alone in fine Crimson performances.

Brian Yeung, Men’s Tennis

Yeung may be a freshman, but there was nothing “young” about his performances this weekend against Princeton and Penn. The Hong Kong native won all four of his weekend matches—two doubles and two singles—to push Harvard’s record to 3-1 in Ivy play. Bright the future is with this one.

Nick Madden, Men’s Volleyball

Repeating as AOTW runner-up, Madden had his eighth career double-double and fourth of the season, putting up a 17 kill, 10 dig game against NJIT Friday night.

(Continued)