Okam Takes Talents to Daytona Beach

Published by David Freed on September 11, 2014 at 7:30PM

Two years after leaving the Harvard men’s basketball team, Ugo Okam ’14 has transferred to Bethune-Cookman. Okam graduated Harvard last year but was granted extended athletic eligibility and will be eligible to play basketball immediately after enrolling in Bethune-Cookman’s graduate program, the school announced Tuesday. 

(Continued)

Saunders Named Top-50 National Player

Published by David Freed on September 11, 2014 at 1:51PM
Wes Saunders

Saunders

Senior Wesley Saunders will enter the 2014-2015 men’s basketball season with higher expectations than ever.

(Continued)

Unofficial Men's Basketball Schedule, 2014-2015

Published by David Freed on September 10, 2014 at 6:58PM
CHAMBERS

Junior co-captain Siyani Chambers and company will have a busy schedule ahead of them as the team attempts to repeat its Ivy Championship

Although the full Harvard men’s basketball schedule has not yet been released, The Back Page took a look at a variety of sources to try and identify who the team will be playing in 2014-2015.

(Continued)

Casey Signs First Pro Contract With Slovenian Club

Published by Juliet Spies-Gans on August 30, 2014 at 7:13PM

It looks like Kyle Casey ’13-14 will be the defensive anchor of a new team this season.

According to a press release issued Friday morning, the former men’s basketball standout will be taking his talents to central Slovenia. Casey will be joining KK Helios Suns Domžale of the Premier A Slovenian League for the 2014-2015 campaign. He will take the court for the first time against Portoroz on Oct. 11.

Casey, who was listed as 6’7” on the Crimson’s roster, will find himself surrounded by fellow big men on his new squad. The forward will be one of eight Helios Suns players at least 6’6” tall, a marked difference from the undersized Harvard lineup in which Casey played center his senior year.

This past season, Casey proved his worth to the Crimson on the defensive end. The former Ivy League Rookie of the Year grabbed 5.6 rebounds and collected 1.2 blocks per game, second on the squad in both categories. Casey also tallied 1.3 dimes per contest, the most of any big man.

While Casey will be based in Domžale, his main competition will hail from the southeast—in the form of BC Krka, which has won the league’s last five championships—and from the capital—in the form of KK Union Olimpija, the team which has made the Premier A finals in every year but one since the turn of the century.

The news of the signing comes just two weeks after Casey’s former teammate Brandyn Curry ’13-14 inked a deal with SPM Shoeters Den Bosch of the Dutch Basketball League.

Curry Signs with Dutch Team

Published by Juliet Spies-Gans on August 15, 2014 at 6:42PM
Dutch Curry

Former Harvard co-captain Brandyn Curry '14 may get his first chance to play for the 15-time Dutch Basketball League champions on Sept. 10.

Joining the ranks of Oliver McNally ’12 and Keith Wright ’12, former Harvard men’s basketball co-captain Brandyn Curry ’14 will play the next leg of his hoops career on the opposite side of the Atlantic.

(Continued)