Concerts Worth Braving the Cold

As the polar vortex continues to plague our campus with piles of snow and dreaded slushy corners, I’m finding it harder and harder to get out of bed, much less actually leave the Quad. While all this accumulation might be igniting your inner 9 year old’s Frozen fantasy, I took a snowflake to the eyeball this morning, and it was definitely not magical. Queen Elsa: go home, you’re drunk. The cold definitely bothers me.

What I would get out of bed for (sorry OEB 57), and what my life has been lacking recently, is some great live music. As a serious audiophile, I often look back on a semester and wonder how I didn’t make it into Boston to see more shows. As a student with a million commitments, it’s really hard to stay on top of which act will be in town when, and even tougher to get tickets enough ahead of time to avoid getting swindled by scalper site prices. This series is my attempt to keep myself (and you) in the loop about the amazing music that’s happening just a few T stops away, or even on campus! So hopefully next time that hipster in your section starts talking about the killer live jazz they saw last weekend at the Lily Pad, you’ll stop them and say, “I know. I was there”.

This Week

By Courtesy Wikimedia commons

Who? St. Vincent 
Where? House of Blues
When? February 27th. Doors at 7 p.m., show begins at 8 p.m.
How much?: General Admission $25
This ethereal singer will be gracing Boston’s ears with her imaginative art-rock and her guttural guitar riffs. Completely rejecting classic rock tones, her sound can be harsh and distorted, but underneath her clever songwriting and eclectic vocal acrobatics, the whole effect oddly works. While her sound might leave some confused, her converts (myself included) relish every “WTF?” moment.

Harvard Happenings

Who? Dan Masterson
Where? John Harvard's Brew House
When? March 1st, 2-5 p.m.
How much?: FREE
Dan Masterson is a recent Harvard grad with serious piano chops and a warm, rich tenor voice to match. His unique brand of piano pop-rock is influenced by both country and singer-songwriter traditions, and his songwriting features soaring vocals and catchy piano hooks. Check out the title track from his latest EP, Learn to Live, on his webpage. Come out to John Harvard’s, swig some craft beer and enjoy some crazy-good artichoke dip.

On the Radar

What? Boston Calling
Where? City Hall Plaza
When? May 23-25. Friday 6 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.; Saturday & Sunday: 12:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
How much? 3 Day Pass: $175, Weekend Pass: $135, Friday Pass: $50. Individual Saturday and Sunday passes yet to be released.
Boston Calling is Boston’s premier outdoor music festival, and for those of you sticking around for graduation, a ticket is well worth the money. The headliners this year are Jack Johnson, Death Cab for Cutie and Modest Mouse, all solid acts. What I’m most excited for, though, are the supporting acts : Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros, Tegan & Sara, Bastille, and The Head And The Heart are standouts. The passes sell out quick, so be sure to get your tickets waaay in advance. Be sure to check your blues at the door as “bad attitudes” are featured on the prohibited items list for the weekend.

MusicFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.