Stop, Copp, and Roll

Harvard Provides Reasons to Marvel

May 30, 2013

In addition to the six million items stored on-site at Widener Library, at least 100 titles are delivered each morning to the area behind the circulation desk. Most of them I’ve never read and probably never will. Yet as a function of my term-time job, two days a week, each of these books passes through my hands.

The process is a rather humbling one because it’s an implicit rethinking of what they told you when you received that Harvard acceptance one spring day four years ago. They told you that you had successfully memorized enough vocabulary words and math facts to last a lifetime—or something like that.

Read more

Men's Basketball's Version of Harvard-Yale a Special Affair

February 24, 2013

If there’s one thing that stood out about the John J. Lee Amphitheater at Yale’s Payne Whitney Gymnasium Saturday night, it was probably the noise.

With 12:09 to play in the second half, Javier Duren knocked down a transition three-pointer to give the Bulldogs a three-point advantage, 49-46—his team’s largest lead since 6-3. He let out a scream, but it was drowned out by the roar of the Yale crowd. The voices only increased in volume after freshman point guard Siyani Chambers’ layup attempt was denied on the other end.

Read more

Harvard Baseball Poised to Improve

March 07, 2012

Before the start of the 2011 season, Harvard coach Joe Walsh had high expectations for his team.

“I’m not going to give you any ‘we’re cautiously optimistic’ or anything,” he said at the time. “We’re good. We’re good right now.”

Read more

Upsets Increase Squash Parity

January 24, 2012

Until Jan. 18 of this year, the Trinity men’s squash team was untouchable, taking home a nearly unfathomable 13 straight national titles on a 252-match winning streak. But less than a week ago at Yale’s Brady Squash Center, the top-ranked Bantams’ run came to an end, as the No. 2 Bulldogs pulled off a dramatic, 5-4 upset.

To say Trinity’s run is impressive would be a gross understatement.

Read more

Spectator Embraces Famous Regatta

October 25, 2011

My Head of the Charles experience began earlier than most, as the regatta’s announcer somehow projected the lineup of the “Grand Master Singles 50+” up five stories to my room in Eliot, gracing me with a complementary early-morning wakeup call on Saturday.

But like the game-day tunes the band plays on its rowdy morning jaunts down JFK, the man’s voice served, more than anything else, as a reminder that there’s a vibrant athletic event taking place right in our backyard.

Read more

A World Cup Malcontent
Highlight

A World Cup Malcontent

water_india
Highlight

Then Rain Comes

musee
Highlight

Rainy Day Impression

Heidelberg
Highlight

Saudade, or Nostalgia