ROVING REPORTER: 'Assassins'

1Uncaptioned photo
1Uncaptioned photo

Now that you’ve finished celebrating (or commiserating) the election of Barack Obama, it’s time to reflect on history and what past presidents have achieved. However, if you’re in the cast of “Assassins,” it’s time to see how past Presidents have met their ends—or how a lucky few escaped them. Appearing on the Loeb Mainstage tonight through Nov. 22, “Assassins” links the stories of various presidential assassins from the last 200 years. To get the inside scoop, the Roving Reporter donned a bullet-proof vest and packed his stun gun, just in case the director and cast had decided to take their production too seriously.Stewart N. Kramer ’12RR: Who do you play in “Assassins”?SNK: John Wilkes Booth.RR: What do you think of President Lincoln?SNK: He was great as President. You don’t get Presidents like that anymore, although hopefully we will now.RR: Your character was both an assassin and an actor. Do you think you could combine those roles?SNK: I don’t think I’d want to kill anyone.RR: Lincoln was killed in a theatre. Do you find theatres incite passionate actions?SNK: I would hope so. That’s why I do it. There aren’t many assassinations in here, though.RR: Do you ever have any big issues with your audience?SNK: Connecting with the audience is what it’s all about. But issues, not too many.RR: Was growing your moustache an important part of preparing for the role?SNK: I started growing it as soon as I got cast a month and a half ago. It’s probably been the easiest part of my preparation, though.Sam L. Linden ’10RR: What’s it like directing a bunch of assassins?SLL: It’s been difficult. We’re having to humanize people who are typically seen as inhuman. We have to have a sense of humor about it and approach it in a lighthearted way.RR: Has this given the play a dark-comic feel?SLL: Yes, it’s a dark comedy with dense and dramatic moments. It’s funny, and it’s scary that it’s funny.RR: Are you worried that the audience will start to sympathize and that you’ll unleash a new wave of assassinations?SLL: The play makes you see these people as human. The audience will leave seeing a bit of humanity in them.RR: Do you have any advice for President-elect Barack Obama’s bodyguards so that the plot of assassinations ends here?SLL: I hope it does, or they’d have to rewrite the play. Avoid crazy people is a good start.RR: Have you avoided crazy actors?SLL: I wish. They’re crazy in a good way.RR: Who really shot JFK?SLL: I don’t know. I think it’s one of those crazy stories.Steven A. Travierso ’09RR: Who do you play?SAT: Lee Harvey Oswald.RR: What’s it like to play such a famous assassin?SAT: It’s weird. He’s a strangely romantic figure, which makes it weirder.RR: Do you believe your character really killed John F. Kennedy?SAT: Yeah, I do.RR: Surely you must have some doubts?SAT: No, it’s got to be. Too much is at stake for it to be anyone else.RR: Would you consider a career in the secret service?SAT: I think I’ll stay away from public service of that nature.RR: James Bond or Jason Bourne?SAT: Bourne—Matt Damon’s better looking.RR: What’s it like being in a play with all these assassins?SAT: I don’t trust anybody in the room.RR: Anyone in particular you’re afraid of?SAT: I’ve got my eye on Alison. I watch my back when she’s around.Alison H. Rich ’09RR: Do you play a female assassin?AHR: No, I play a male assassin.RR: Oh, what’s it like to get into the head of a male assassin?AHR: It’s exciting and scary, but I think I’m up to the challenge.RR: Who did your character try to assassinate?AHR: Richard Nixon.RR: Is it tense working on a play with all these assassins?AR: It’s so tense, because at any moment you don’t know if someone will get too into their character and drop a blooper.RR: Are your roommates scared of you since you’ve been playing an assassin?AR: Yes, I haven’t spoken to my roommates in months.RR: Have you had to divide your room in two?AR: Yes, we have. But my side has the door. I think I’m gonna go home and feed them now.

TheaterRoving Reporter

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.