How to Dress Like You <3 the 90s

•

It's that time of year again—time to head over to Pfoho to relive the good old days. Yes, the 90s dance is right around the corner. Come Saturday you'll be getting jiggy with it to some sweet beats looking fly. What's that you say? Don't have an outfit yet? Here is a list of some 90s approved attire:

1. For both sexes, flannel is the key. If you want to rock the classic angsty grunge look—think “My So-Called Life”—then layer up with some dark flannel.  If you're worried you may get too warm (as is almost always the case with flannel at dance parties) then tie the shirt around your waist and pair with a tank top (the more dirty looking the better). If these pieces sound familiar, it's because they are; they don't call it a grunge revival for nothing.

2. For footwear, chunky boots are a perfect option. You can't get more 90s than by wearing some Doc Martens. Converses are also a great alternative for both guys and girls. Rock those Converse All-Stars. For extra 90s style points bust out your platform sneakers Ă  la Baby Spice.

3. If you're more of a “Clueless” girl, then go for the preppy schoolgirl look. Pleated skirts with thigh-highs are a great way for you to bring the pre-shaved-head Britney back.

4. You can choose a sportier look by wearing sleeveless jerseys, cropped-top shirts, and high-waisted shorts. Note: this is the one time it is appropriate to wear cargo pants or pants so baggy they fall somewhere under your butt.

5. If you're looking to go all out and wear one signature piece, then girls, go for the overalls and guys, put on those Vanilla Ice tracksuits, preferably all one color.

6. Accessories always make the outfit though. So put on those Aviator sunglasses, letterman jackets, bandannas, and headbands. If you can get your hands on some chokers (you know, the ones that look like tattoos) you're golden. Top your look off with an absurdly small backpack.

7. To complete the whole ensemble you have to have the right hair. Girls go for a simple ponytail tied back with a scrunchie of course (the bigger the better). Or alternatively you can find some butterfly clips. If it looks like spring just threw up in your hair then you are on the right track. For guys, spiked hair is pretty much a must—frosted tips if you are really hardcore.

So now that you have an outfit all you need to do is practice the Macarena and you'll be ready for "Livin' la Vida Loca."

PforzheimerEventsFashion

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.