Harvard Today: September 15, 2014

By Nayab Ahmad

Happy Monday! We’re currently wishing the weekend were one day longer so we could actually do (or maybe start) our homework, because we all know that the Monday morning routine before class is probably one of the worst parts of the week. Here’s a rundown of how your morning will probably go before your 10 a.m. class:

9:15 a.m.: Wake up to the sound of your phone alarm going off, find your phone between that small sliver of space between your mattress and the wall, hurt your hand while trying to retrieve your phone in that space, retrieve your phone and snooze your alarm.

9:18 a.m.: Snooze your alarm.

9:21 a.m.: Snooze your alarm because you know you can take a shower and get ready in 20 minutes.

9:24 a.m.: Finally decide to wake up because you don’t want to annoy your sleeping roommate who doesn’t have morning classes today.

9:30 a.m.: Check your Facebook newsfeed and all the Snapchat stories that have accumulated overnight because you obviously need to keep in touch with all of your friends on social media.

9:35 a.m.: Decide that now is the last possible moment at which you can get in the shower without being late to lecture.

9:38 a.m.: Get to the bathroom and realize you’re too lazy to take a shower—brushing your teeth and washing your face will suffice.

9:45 a.m.: Decide for a solid 10 minutes what you want to wear to class, end up choosing something very similar to your pajamas.

9:55 a.m.: Stare at your bed wistfully as you walk out of your room and part with it for the whole day (so tragic).

9:57 a.m.: Walk to class and wonder how you’re going to do this for 4 more days.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
It’s going to be a nice day with a high of 70 degrees! It’ll be sunny all day, and no one’s complaining because we all know that pretty soon it’s going to be extremely cold without any prior notice (we love you too, Mother Nature).

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Red Spiced Chicken Breast
Falafel Sandwich
Multigrain Rotini Primavera with Kidney Beans
Golden Nuggets (yay, carbs to make us feel better about Mondays!)

Dinner:
Breaded and Baked Pork Chops
Chicken Breast with Poblano Sauce
Pumpkin Gnocchi with Sage

ON FLYBY
1) 10 Observations From Hempfest: “3. “ENROLLING NOW!!!” There’s a school, Northeastern Institute of Cannabis, that can get you certified to work in the industry in “just TWO WEEKS.” Sounds about as long as econ. concentrators spend on their theses.”

2) Zen in Ten: Meditating in the comfort of your own room with the click of an iPhone app?!

3) Only 66 Percent of Harvard Graduates Make the World a Better Place: “In a survey of 1.4 million college alumni conducted by PayScale, only 66 percent of Harvard alumni responded ‘yes’ to the question, ‘Does your work make the world a better place?’”

IN THE NEWS
1) Design School Seeks $110M in Campaign: “The Graduate School of Design has raised more than $69 million thus far in its slice of Harvard’s $6.5 billion capital campaign, putting the school well on its way to meeting its goal of at least $110 million, John K. F. Irving ’83 said Saturday night.”

2) Gen Ed Review Committee To Hold Town Hall Meetings: “The committee tasked with reviewing the Program in General Education will host town hall meetings in October to gauge understanding of the program’s pedagogical goals among students, faculty, and administrators.”

3) Dunster Renovations Incorporate Student Feedback: “Blueprints for the ongoing renovation of Dunster House, which began in June, have been adjusted to incorporate community feedback on the recently renovated McKinlock Hall in Leverett House and Stone Hall in Quincy House, a leader of the House Renewal effort said Sunday.”

IN SPORTS
1) Men’s Soccer Fell Short Against St. John’s: “For the second straight game, the Harvard men’s soccer team (0-3-0) failed to convert on key scoring chances late in the contest, ultimately falling on the road, 2-1, to St. John’s (1-3-2) on Saturday. The Crimson has lost its first three games by a combined four goals.”

2) Women’s Volleyball Takes Two of Three at Benson’s Hospitality Invitational: “The Harvard women’s volleyball team (4-2) got off to a slow start this weekend down in Athens, Ga., at the Benson’s Hospitality Group Invitational. Despite dropping the first game to NC State (8-1) and the first set of the second game, Harvard was still able to capture some momentum and emerged victorious in its last two fixtures against Georgia (5-4) and UNC Asheville (2-8).”

EVENTS
The Harvard Students for Israel are having a conversation with Professor Gabriella Blum tonight at 7 p.m. at Harvard Hillel about the legal issues and conundrums that affect the assessment of the summer.

The Harvard Political Union is also having a talk tonight at 7 p.m. in L166 at the Kennedy School called Gaza: The Morality of Military Action.

The Harvard Film Archive is having a showing of the Italian film Vincere tonight from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Carpenter Center. Film screenings are free for Harvard students!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Jason Segal sings the song, "Dracula's Lament," at the Harvard Bookstore promotion of his book, "Nightmares!" in the First Parish Church on Friday.

Student LifeFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.