Harvard Today: September 22, 2014

•
By Rohan W. Goel

Happy Monday! Here are some signs that it’s the start of a new week:

1) You set about 20 alarms for Monday morning all within 2-minute intervals.

2) You skip lunch with friends because you have to “finish a reading” when in truth you’re going for that prime mid-day nap.

3) You pretend you’re texting as you’re walking to class because you’re too tired/grumpy/irritated/literally any other adjective that’s fitting for a Monday morning to be social and say "hi" to people.

4) You prematurely think your day is over and you accidentally skip your evening section because you basically forgot what classes are over the weekend.

5) You say you’re going to stay up late to do all that work you had originally planned to do this weekend but never actually, but end up justifying going to bed at 9 p.m. because it’s “Monday."

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

If the fact that it’s Monday makes you really sad, the weather should cheer you up! There’s a zero percent chance of rain today and it’ll be sunny and a high of 70 degrees! And we all know about how there’s a correlation between the amount of sunshine in Cambridge and Harvard students’ happiness, right?!

IN THE D-HALLS

Lunch:
Coconut Curry Chicken
Baked Multigrain Penne with Mozzarella
Pepper, Tomato, Black Bean and Montery Jack Quesadilla

Dinner:
Cilantro and Lime Baked Swai Fish (sorry to disappoint, but I think we’ve thoroughly exhausted our repertoire of swai jokes)
Roast Turkey Breast
Spinach Ricotta Casserole

ON FLYBY

1) Uniqlo Will Pay for Your Tuition*: What does this even mean?!? But then again, we’ve all learned to be wary of asterisks at the end of statements…

2) Harvard Histories: Scandal in the Yard: Some guy forged his entire identity to get into Harvard? Love Story is actually award-winning?

IN THE NEWS

1) McKinlock Renewal Lauded: “Beneath a ribbon sporting Leverett House colors, leaders and beneficiaries of the House Renewal process took turns Saturday afternoon lauding the recently completed renovation of McKinlock Hall and thanking donors who supported the multimillion dollar project.”

2) Harvard Affiliates Join Thousands of Activists for Climate March: “Dozens of Harvard students and many more affiliates took their environmental advocacy beyond the blockades of Massachusetts Hall this weekend, joining hundreds of thousands of activists on the packed streets of a warm Manhattan.”

EVENTS

There's a talk going in this afternoon called The Ukraine Crisis: What's Next for Europe? today from 3:15 to 4:30 p.m. at the CGIS Tsai Auditorium. Carl Bildt, the foreign minister of Sweden will be leading the talk.

William Deresiewicz, author of the new book "Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life" will be speaking today at Paine Hall at 6 p.m.! This event is free and open to the public.

Boston Refuge Youth Enrichment (BRYE) is having a Spring Roll Workshop today from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the PBHA Parlor Room. Learn how to make spring rolls and also get to know more about how BRYE helps the refugee and immigrant youth of Dorchester!

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Leverett House Master Howard M. Georgi, right, hands the baton to Dunster House masters, Roger B. Porter and Ann Porter, left, for the next stage of house renewals.

Student LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.