This Week at Harvard: June 29 to July 5

•
Same-sex marriage supporters celebrate the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark decision outside the Massachusetts State House on Friday.
Same-sex marriage supporters celebrate the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark decision outside the Massachusetts State House on Friday. By Melanie Y. Fu

Happy almost Fourth of July, Harvard: We know this week is the only thing standing between you and a long weekend filled with hot dogs and fireworks. Pass the time this week by attending a museum concert, outdoor movie, or eating cake cut by Boston mayor Marty Walsh.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

OK, so the weather sucks today, but luckily, it won’t be this cold again in the foreseeable future. Temperatures should be in the high 70s and low 80s from Tuesday on out, but some rain showers are expected on Wednesday, Friday, and the holiday, so make sure you pack a rain poncho before you head to an Independence Day BBQ.

IN THE NEWS

Kennedy Key to Same-Sex Marriage Decision, Law Profs Say

In a 5-4 ruling on Friday morning, the Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marriage. Several Harvard Law School professors said Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, who authored the majority opinion, played an extraordinary role in advancing the cause.

Boston 2024 Downsized Harvard’s Role in Olympic Bid

Organizers from the Boston 2024 effort said Wednesday that if Boston is chosen as the Olympics’ host city that year, Harvard will only host events in archery. The announcement marks a large downsize from Harvard’s original role in the bid, as Harvard facilities were originally slated to host up to 10 events, including tennis and swimming.

EVENTS

Wednesday

As part of their “Cinema Somerville Summer Movie Night Series," Somerville Community Access Television will be screening one free film a week. Come to 11 Sanborn Court in Union Square at 7:30 p.m. with movie snacks to see “Little Shop of Horrors.”

Stop by the Faneuil Hall Marketplace from 12 to 1:30 p.m. for the opening ceremony of Boston’s 34th annual Harborfest. After a few speeches, a senior Navy official and the mayor will cut and serve the official cake of the five-day festival.

Friday

From 5 to 10 p.m., come down to the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston for a pre-Independence Day dance party. The event is free with an ICA membership, and $15 without. Stop by to enjoy patriotic food and drink, as well as new music from artists like Ruby Rose Fox.

Saturday

The Boston Pops orchestra will be performing an Independence Day concert accompanied by a fireworks show in the Hatch Shell. The event runs from 7 to 11 p.m., and it will be broadcast on local radio stations.

Flyby BlogSummerFlyby CampusFlyby Front FeatureHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.