Essential Apps for School

•
Tinder and Bumble and Insta and Uber...these are a few of my favorite things.
Tinder and Bumble and Insta and Uber...these are a few of my favorite things. By Nian Hu

Mobile apps can be overwhelming. With over 1.5 million apps available for download in leading app stores, it’s difficult to figure out which apps are truly essential to our happiness and well-being on campus. What else do we Harvard students need besides Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat? Turns out, there are a few more important apps that deserve a place in all of our phones.

Tinder
Want to meet new people, but too afraid to talk to them in real life? Try Tinder! Whether you’re looking for a significant other, a hook-up buddy, or just a friend, you are sure to match with plenty of fascinating people—including that one kid from your section that you didn’t mean to swipe right on.

Bumble
Sometimes, one app just isn’t enough. Bumble is another popular dating app commonly used on campus. Created by the same person who made Tinder, Bumble is different from Tinder in that women have to message men first, and matches expire after 24 hours if no one makes the first move. Also, rumor has it that the people on Bumble are more attractive. Who knows?

Omni
Get all the latest information on shuttle times and HUDS menu so you know whether you should walk to class or keep waiting for the shuttle, and whether you should get excited for waffle fries at lunch or avoid the dining hall altogether on a given day.

Uber
Late for class, stuck in Boston when the T has stopped running, inebriated, or just downright lazy? Uber is here to save the day. Whether you’re taking a 20-minute journey into Boston or a quick 2-minute stint from Tasty Burger to your room, this handy app has got your back.

Lyft
If the surge price on Uber is way too high, or if you consider Uber too mainstream, give Lyft a shot instead. As a bonus, the cars are easily identifiable with a 5-inch-long pink “glowstache” that drivers put on the dashboard.

Venmo
We all have that moment when we walk into Felipe’s and realize that we forgot our wallet. Gone are the days of owing someone money, struggling to find exact change, and subsequently engaging in a wild goose chase as you try to find the person so you can give them their $12.48. Thanks to Venmo, you can pay your friend back immediately, and throw in a fun emoji for kicks.

Pic Stitch
If it’s your best friend’s birthday and you want to show the whole world how much you love each other, why not make a lovely photo collage of all the good times you two have had? That’s what everyone else does, at least.

GroupMe
Welcome to GroupMe, the (un)official means of communication for large groups of people. This includes any and all extracurricular organizations, social clubs, and other conglomerations of random people. Get ready for endless notifications.

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby Front

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.