Anonymous

Op-Eds

When Harvard Helped Me

Every sexual assault is different. Every victim’s story is unique. In my case, nearly 14 years ago, Harvard stepped up.

Op-Eds

Dear Harvard: You Win

I’m writing this piece as I’m sitting in my own dining hall, only a few tables away from the guy who pressured me into sexual activity in his bedroom, one night last spring.

Op-Eds

Letters to the Editor

The buffer zone itself is a compromise—it is unnecessary and illogical to further compromise the safety of those seeking abortions by shrinking the buffer zone size to eight feet.

Admissions Blog

The College Campaign of 2010: Decisions Time

As I waited to hear back from schools, I developed elaborate college preference rankings in my mind. “Brown’s okay,” I said to myself, “but is it really, truly my first choice? Maybe I’d be better off at Yale.” So it went, my mind spinning elaborate illusions in which I had to choose between all six of my reach schools. How would I ever pick?

Recruiting, Suits, Ties
Admissions Blog

The College Campaign of 2010: Interviews

Almost immediately after I submitted my early decision application to Brown, I got my interview notification. I’d be meeting up with a recent graduate, now a PhD student in ethnomusicology, at a local coffee shop. “How Brown!” I thought to myself as I prepared my go-to interview outfit: black slacks, leather boots, and a patterned cardigan over a white t-shirt. For good luck, I’d wear a necklace my friend got me in China. Though I knew it was only a tiny component of my application package, I tried to have a successful interview, though I was pretty nervous. Was I supposed to order coffee? I wasn’t a big fan of coffee! But if I didn’t order coffee, what would I do with my hands? Getting a muffin would be childish. In the end I settled on getting black coffee—ultra-sophisticated!—and drinking it with feigned enthusiasm.

Admissions Blog

The College Campaign of 2010: Uncommon App

I first attempted the Common Application essay one August evening at the end of the summer. I was staying with my father at a family friend’s house for the night. I reclined in an unfamiliar chair and tried to think about what I wanted to say to the world (or, barring that, the Brown admissions committee).

Admissions Blog

The College Campaign of 2010: Falling in Love (with Brown University)

There comes a time in every college applicant’s life when they realize their dream school. Well, maybe it doesn’t happen to everyone, but it sure happened to me.

Admissions Feature

The College Campaign of 2010: So Many Colleges, So Little Time

Mid-April 2009 found my mother and me poring over college brochures, checking train times, and calling up relatives. Really, it was mostly my mom. I was too busy reading admission statistics in three-inch thick college guidebooks to bother with the minutiae of interstate transportation. Our plan was to take the Amtrak between cities for a few days, stopping at all the colleges I wanted to visit.

Memorial Hall
Admissions Feature

The College Campaign of 2010: Picking Colleges, and an Introduction

Join me once a week for the rest of the semester as I recount in excruciating and hopefully cathartic detail my College Campaign of 2010. Let us begin.

Op-Eds

Homeward Bound and Tied

People do not take medical leaves because “Harvard’s environment is too much to bear.” Saying this implies that those who do so are “less than,” that they do not measure up to the majority of students who complete Harvard in four years’ time

Op-Eds

Facing Reality

Miles away from home and Harvard in an unfamiliar city last summer, I was paralyzed and terrified when a stranger forced himself on me

Op-Eds

In Sight, Out of Mind

Scientists have not yet decoded the medical and psychiatric workings of schizophrenia, but there are a few obvious reforms Harvard could implement that would allow students like me to have the support and treatment we need to succeed and survive.

Occupy Harvard
Occupy

Occupy Harvard

As part of the Occupy Harvard movement, students, faculty, and members of the Harvard community march around Harvard's campus, protesting the closed gates. Their final destination is a Goldman Sachs recruiting event for sophomores and juniors of the college.

Occupy Harvard
Occupy

Occupy Harvard

Occupy Harvard
Occupy

Occupy Harvard

House Art Cover Wallpaper
Visual Arts

Art House

Youth Homelessness in the Square
Harvard Square

For Homeless Youth, Age Can Compound Challenges of Life on the Streets

On Year Later: Boston Marathon Bombings
Boston Marathon

VIDEO: Looking Back One Year Later, Harvard Affiliates Prepare to Return to Finish Line

Johnston Gate Arts Cover
Arts

Rebuilding the Past: Harvard's Beautification Renaissance