Crimson staff writer

Ariel Smolik-Valles

Latest Content

FOR THE WIN
Women's Swimming

Women's Swimming and Diving Competes at US Olympic Trials

Though its season ended in mid-March, seven members of the Harvard women’s swimming and diving team continued their competitive training and qualified for the U.S. Olympic Trials.

Dershwitz the Champion
Fencing

Eli Dershwitz

All seems to be going according to plan for Eli Dershwitz. The Sherborn, Mass. native came into his freshman year at Harvard in 2014 already knowing he would take the next season off to compete for a spot on the USA Olympic fencing team.

Olivia Coffey '11
Women's Crew

Olivia Coffey '11

Claiming a seat on the varsity eight boat her freshman year at Harvard, Coffey took the reigns of her athletic career and never looked back.

Men's Crew

Brendan Hodge '07

Returning to rowing after an eight-year hiatus in international competition, Hodge will be rowing in the coxless lightweight four boat for Team Canada in the Rio Olympics.

Cheta Emba '15
Women's Rugby

Cheta Emba '15

The first ever opportunity for women’s rugby to be represented on the Olympic stage will include a Harvard graduate.

Shelley Pearson '13
Women's Crew

Shelley Pearson '13

Hailing from Pembroke, Bermuda, Pearson will represent her home country in Rio, rowing in a women’s single scull during the Olympics.

Club Sports

Men's Club Ultimate Frisbee Falls to Minnesota in National Championship Game

This past weekend the Harvard Red Line made it farther in the postseason than any team in program history.

Sports Blog

Men's Club Ultimate Frisbee Advances to National Championship

For the first time in program history, the Harvard Red Line has advanced to the championship game of the USA Ultimate College Championships.

A Stone's Throw from Greatness
Women's Ice Hockey

Sturdy as Stone: Coach Katey Stone's Impact on Women's Hockey

The most prolific head coach in collegiate women's hockey, Harvard coach Katey Stone has greatly influenced and built both the Crimson program and the sport in general in her 21 years in Cambridge.

Qualified
Track and Cross Country

Franklin, Kouba Headline Women's Track's Qualifying Quartet for 2016 Olympic Trials

Seniors Paige Kouba and Autumne Franklin, sophomore Courtney Smith, and freshman Gabby Thomas all came away from the weekend with times that put them in the running for a bid to represent the United States this August in Rio de Janeiro.

No Match for Maschmeyer
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Ice Hockey Skates into Playoff Hockey with Colgate Matchup

The postseason has become familiar territory for the Crimson, as the team has reached the ECAC semifinal in every year since the turn of the millennium.

Junior Sticks
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Splits Weekend Series

Hitting the road to face off with conference rivals Colgate and Cornell, the women's ice hockey team found mixed results over the weekend.

Don't Call It a Comeback
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Mounts Comeback Against BU

Despite a tough game in the first round, the Crimson returned to Walter Brown Arena with its offense at full steam, putting five goals past the host team en route to a 5-3 victory Tuesday night

Journey to the Podium
Sports Features

Una Voz Nueva: Harvard Grad to Voice Super Bowl 50 in Spanish

The words Latino and Harvard are not immediately thought to be synonymous with football, let alone the crown jewel of the NFL season. But in its 50th rendition, the Super Bowl will have a healthy dose of both thanks to Alvaro Martin ’84.

Claiming Vic-Tori
Notebooks

NOTEBOOK: Women's Ice Hockey Crashes Out of Beanpot

Top-ranked Boston College scored five times in the opening period en route to a completely one-sided 8-0 victory in the Beanpot semifinals.