Crimson staff writer

Ariel Smolik-Valles

Latest Content

Don't Call It a Comeback
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Mounts Comeback Against BU

Despite a tough game in the first round, the Crimson returned to Walter Brown Arena with its offense at full steam, putting five goals past the host team en route to a 5-3 victory Tuesday night

Journey to the Podium
Sports Features

Una Voz Nueva: Harvard Grad to Voice Super Bowl 50 in Spanish

The words Latino and Harvard are not immediately thought to be synonymous with football, let alone the crown jewel of the NFL season. But in its 50th rendition, the Super Bowl will have a healthy dose of both thanks to Alvaro Martin ’84.

Claiming Vic-Tori
Notebooks

NOTEBOOK: Women's Ice Hockey Crashes Out of Beanpot

Top-ranked Boston College scored five times in the opening period en route to a completely one-sided 8-0 victory in the Beanpot semifinals.

Masch's Mesh
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Prepares for Top-Ranked Boston College, Beanpot Semifinal

The 2016 rendition of the annual face-off between Harvard, Boston University, Boston College, and Northeastern is set to face off today at 5 p.m. at the Walter Brown Arena on BU’s campus.

Masch Smash
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Offense Comes to Life Against Princeton

The Harvard women's ice hockey team beat its first ranked opponent in three weeks with its 4-1 win over the Tigers.

Failure to Finish
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Shut Out By No. 4/4 Qunnipiac

After 60 minutes of grueling hockey, one shot proved to be the difference between ECAC heavyweights Harvard and Quinnipiac.

Seeking Momentum
Columns

Women's Hockey Looks for Momentum to Make Playoff Run

This weekend is a crucial turning point in the season looking at where the women's ice hockey team has been this year and how the rest of it will pan out. Harvard is facing off against Quinnipiac and Princeton, with both teams ranked in the top ten at fourth and ninth, respectively.

Soaring Eagles
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Drops Third Straight With 2-0 Loss to BC

No. 1/1 Boston College (24-0, 16-0 ECAC) held off the Crimson, 2-0, (10-7-1, 5-7-1) and maintained its undefeated record.

Mighty Miye
Women's Ice Hockey

No. 9/9 Women's Hockey Stops Short Skid, Sweeps Weekend

The Crimson was coming off of a low note at the end of 2015, having closed out the first half of its season with overtime losses to Quinnipiac and Princeton. Harvard was able to set a new tone for 2016 in this weekend’s matchups.

Daniels Downs Rivals
Women's Ice Hockey

Team of the Year: Women's Ice Hockey

​On the ice at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis, over 1,100 miles from home, the Harvard women’s ice hockey team had the program’s first NCAA title within reach. But 60 minutes of play later, that same ice was cleared smooth once again, and the Crimson watched another team, hometown favorite Minnesota, hoist the trophy in victory.

Stone's Success
Women's Ice Hockey

Coach of the Year, Runner-Up: Katey Stone, Women's Ice Hockey

After being away from the program for last season to coach the U.S. Olympic team in Sochi, Russia, Harvard women’s ice hockey coach Katey Stone returned to the Crimson for her 20th season and continued her success as the head of the program.

Laing Score
Women's Ice Hockey

Female Rookie of the Year, Runner-Up: Lexie Laing

​In her inaugural season on the women’s ice hockey team, freshman Lexie Laing took the team by storm. As one of the six freshmen to be added to this year’s squad, the 5’6” Marblehead, Mass., native was thrown into the mix of Olympians and experienced players early in the season and never looked back.

Softball

Softball Caps Season With Series Split Against Dartmouth

With a trip to the Ivy League Championship Series at stake on the season’s final weekend, the Harvard softball team matched up against Dartmouth for a home-and-home series.

Softball

Offense Sparks Softball to Nonconference Home Victory Over Bryant

The Crimson received contributions from its entire roster in a 9-3 win over Bryant on Tuesday. All four of the team’s pitchers were on the mound for at least an inning, and four pinch hitters capitalized on opportunities to have at bats against the Bulldogs.

Softball

Softball Takes Three of Four From Yale

In its last home stand of the season, the Harvard softball team came out with a strong showing against Yale, going 3-1 on the weekend to climb above the .500 mark overall.

Special Teams
Football

In Photos: The Game

Crimson-UC Crossfire Debate
College

The Back of the UC Ballot

Helicopter over Harvard
Crime

In Photos: Bomb Threat Shakes the Yard

College

A.D. Club ‘Strongly’ Opposes Membership Changes