Writer

Ariel Smolik-Valles

Latest Content

Rivalry on Ice Renewed
Previews

Women's Ice Hockey Takes on Yale in First Round of Playoffs

Facing off against Yale in a best-of-three playoff series, the No. 4/4 Crimson looks to build off a successful regular season and move further into the postseason.

Softball

Softball Finishes 2-3 at Season-Opening Tourney

The Harvard softball team opened its 2015 season this weekend in Madeira Beach, Fla., with a slate of five games over the course of three days. The Crimson went 2-3 at the EMU Madeira Beach Spring Invitational.

Cry Like An Eagle
Women's Ice Hockey

Queens of Boston: Women's Ice Hockey Downs BC For First Beanpot Title Since 2010

The championship of the 37th annual Women’s Beanpot was a battle of top-ranked teams. Boston College, which entered the game atop Hockey East and the NCAA national rankings, travelled across town to take on ECAC-leading Harvard to see which Beantown team deserved the city crown.

Harvey For Harvard
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Advances to Beanpot Final After Defeating BU

After failing to score against Princeton the last time the team took the ice, the Crimson came out with a strong offensive front against the Terriers, never trailing in the game en route to a 9-2 win.

DANIELS
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Soars Past No. 5 Quinnipiac, Falls to Princeton

In a pivotal weekend for the ECAC standings, the No. 4/4 Harvard women’s ice hockey team split its decisions against No. 5/5 Quinnipiac and Princeton, keeping the team second in the conference with six regular season games left on the schedule.

Laing
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Splits Crosstown Pair

The Harvard women’s ice hockey team ended a week of crosstown rivalry matchups by going 1-1 this weekend on the road at Northeastern and Boston College. The team finished the series with a win, loss, and tie, leaving room for improvement as conference competition heats up.

HOCK IT UP
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Begins Season With Two Wins

The Harvard women’s hockey team opened up its season at home with two wins in the newly renovated Bright-Landry Hockey Center.

Olympians
Women's Ice Hockey

Back at Bright: Olympians Return to Home Ice

After competing in Sochi at the Winter Olympics, Harvard women’s ice hockey coach Katey Stone, senior Lyndsey Fry, and junior Michelle Picard will return to Bright for the 2014-2015 season.

Stanton
Football

Stanton Looks to Continue Strong Play

For running back Paul Stanton, the arrival of junior year brings many possibilities to build upon his breakout sophomore season for Harvard.

Women's Lacrosse

Women's Lacrosse Season Recap

Coming off of a 2013 season that saw the team win just three games, the Harvard women’s lacrosse team improved its record greatly in 2014, going 9-7 and gaining a berth in the Ivy League Tournament for the first time in two years.

Women's Water Polo

Women's Water Polo Season Recap

Despite a strong start to the 2014 season, the Harvard women’s water polo team could not continue its winning ways towards the end of the campaign, finishing 15-20 overall and 2-3 in the Collegiate Water Polo Association Southern Division.

OH ROMEO
Women's Lacrosse

Women's Lacrosse Falls in Double-OT in Ivy Tournament

With 3.5 seconds remaining in regulation and down one goal to Penn, the Harvard women’s lacrosse team seemed to be nearing the end of its season.

Women's Water Polo

Women's Water Polo Closes Season at CWPA Championship

The Harvard women’s water polo team saw its season come to an end this weekend at the CWPA Championship. The team entered the tournament as the seventh seed and came in seventh place overall.

Lin for the Win
Women's Golf

Women's Golf Wins Brown Invitational

The elements were not ideal for golf this weekend in Providence, R.I. But the weather did not deter the Harvard women’s golf team, as the Crimson won the Brown BEAR Invitational with an overall score of 628, 20 shots ahead of second-place Boston University.

Women's Water Polo

Women's Water Polo Waits After Dropping Two at CWPA Sothern Championships

On Saturday at Blodgett Pool, the Crimson (14-18, 3-3 CWPA South) won its first round game against George Washington, 12-3, before falling to No. 9 Princeton, 14-3, in the division semifinal. On Sunday, Bucknell beat Harvard, 9-6, in the third-place consolation match.

Kaledora Kiernan-Linn
College

The Dropouts

Snow on Plympton
College

More Snow Looming, College Alters Dining Schedule

Divest Harvard Rally
Central Administration

After 24-Hour Sit-In, Divest Harvard Protesters Leave Mass. Hall

COVER PHOTO
College

#blacklivesmatter