Crimson staff writer

Ariel Smolik-Valles

Latest Content

Daniels Downs Rivals
Women's Ice Hockey

Team of the Year: Women's Ice Hockey

​On the ice at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis, over 1,100 miles from home, the Harvard women’s ice hockey team had the program’s first NCAA title within reach. But 60 minutes of play later, that same ice was cleared smooth once again, and the Crimson watched another team, hometown favorite Minnesota, hoist the trophy in victory.

Stone's Success
Women's Ice Hockey

Coach of the Year, Runner-Up: Katey Stone, Women's Ice Hockey

After being away from the program for last season to coach the U.S. Olympic team in Sochi, Russia, Harvard women’s ice hockey coach Katey Stone returned to the Crimson for her 20th season and continued her success as the head of the program.

Laing Score
Women's Ice Hockey

Female Rookie of the Year, Runner-Up: Lexie Laing

​In her inaugural season on the women’s ice hockey team, freshman Lexie Laing took the team by storm. As one of the six freshmen to be added to this year’s squad, the 5’6” Marblehead, Mass., native was thrown into the mix of Olympians and experienced players early in the season and never looked back.

Softball

Softball Caps Season With Series Split Against Dartmouth

With a trip to the Ivy League Championship Series at stake on the season’s final weekend, the Harvard softball team matched up against Dartmouth for a home-and-home series.

Softball

Offense Sparks Softball to Nonconference Home Victory Over Bryant

The Crimson received contributions from its entire roster in a 9-3 win over Bryant on Tuesday. All four of the team’s pitchers were on the mound for at least an inning, and four pinch hitters capitalized on opportunities to have at bats against the Bulldogs.

Softball

Softball Takes Three of Four From Yale

In its last home stand of the season, the Harvard softball team came out with a strong showing against Yale, going 3-1 on the weekend to climb above the .500 mark overall.

Terrier Grooming
Softball

Softball Struggles for Hits Against BU

The Crimson came out "flat" in a 6-2 loss to the Terriers on Tuesday afternoon.

Crowell has served as both associate and interim head coach at Harvard.
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey's Crowell Takes Head Coaching Position at Minnesota Duluth

After serving as both associate head coach and interim head coach of the women's ice hockey team, Maura Crowell is leaving Harvard to take a head coaching position at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

Softball

With High Expectations, Softball Turns to Pitchers For Success

In the sport of softball, only one thing is guaranteed every play: the pitcher will throw the ball. Every subsequent event that unfolds on the field depends on the pitcher’s actions, and for that reason, the control lies in her hands.

Softball

Softball Opens Ivy Season with Columbia, Penn

A bit of bad weather was not enough to get in the way of the start of the Ivy League softball season for the Harvard softball team. After Saturday’s games were moved to Sunday due to unplayable conditions, the team wrapped up its first conference weekend 1-3, travelling to Columbia and Penn.

Road to the Championship
Previews

Women's Hockey To Open NCAA Playoffs at Home Against Quinnipiac

Following a 7-3 win over Cornell in the ECAC Championship game Sunday, the Crimson clinched the No. 3 seed and home ice advantage for the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Champions
Women's Ice Hockey

Party in Potsdam: Women's Hockey Rides Third-Period Rally to ECAC Title

Behind six third-period goals, the No. 4/4 Crimson punched its ticket to the NCAA tournament on Sunday with a 7-3 win over Cornell in the ECAC Championship Game.

D'Oench Delivers
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Advances to ECAC Championship Game

With a 2-1 overtime victory over No. 6/6 Quinnipiac, the Harvard women's ice hockey team advanced to Sunday's ECAC final against Cornell.

Rivalry on Ice Renewed
Previews

Women's Ice Hockey Takes on Yale in First Round of Playoffs

Facing off against Yale in a best-of-three playoff series, the No. 4/4 Crimson looks to build off a successful regular season and move further into the postseason.

Softball

Softball Finishes 2-3 at Season-Opening Tourney

The Harvard softball team opened its 2015 season this weekend in Madeira Beach, Fla., with a slate of five games over the course of three days. The Crimson went 2-3 at the EMU Madeira Beach Spring Invitational.

Sorry, Dorothy
Highlight

Sorry, Dorothy

Skipping Stones
Highlight

Skipping Stones

Katie Ledecky in Kazan
Highlight

The Fan in Kazan

Santa Lucía
Highlight

Trading Seasons: Spending Summer Break in a Chile Winter