Crimson staff writer

Ariel Smolik-Valles

Latest Content

A Stone's Throw from Greatness
Women's Ice Hockey

Sturdy as Stone: Coach Katey Stone's Impact on Women's Hockey

The most prolific head coach in collegiate women's hockey, Harvard coach Katey Stone has greatly influenced and built both the Crimson program and the sport in general in her 21 years in Cambridge.

Qualified
Track and Cross Country

Franklin, Kouba Headline Women's Track's Qualifying Quartet for 2016 Olympic Trials

Seniors Paige Kouba and Autumne Franklin, sophomore Courtney Smith, and freshman Gabby Thomas all came away from the weekend with times that put them in the running for a bid to represent the United States this August in Rio de Janeiro.

No Match for Maschmeyer
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Ice Hockey Skates into Playoff Hockey with Colgate Matchup

The postseason has become familiar territory for the Crimson, as the team has reached the ECAC semifinal in every year since the turn of the millennium.

Junior Sticks
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Splits Weekend Series

Hitting the road to face off with conference rivals Colgate and Cornell, the women's ice hockey team found mixed results over the weekend.

Don't Call It a Comeback
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Mounts Comeback Against BU

Despite a tough game in the first round, the Crimson returned to Walter Brown Arena with its offense at full steam, putting five goals past the host team en route to a 5-3 victory Tuesday night

Journey to the Podium
Sports Features

Una Voz Nueva: Harvard Grad to Voice Super Bowl 50 in Spanish

The words Latino and Harvard are not immediately thought to be synonymous with football, let alone the crown jewel of the NFL season. But in its 50th rendition, the Super Bowl will have a healthy dose of both thanks to Alvaro Martin ’84.

Claiming Vic-Tori
Notebooks

NOTEBOOK: Women's Ice Hockey Crashes Out of Beanpot

Top-ranked Boston College scored five times in the opening period en route to a completely one-sided 8-0 victory in the Beanpot semifinals.

Masch's Mesh
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Prepares for Top-Ranked Boston College, Beanpot Semifinal

The 2016 rendition of the annual face-off between Harvard, Boston University, Boston College, and Northeastern is set to face off today at 5 p.m. at the Walter Brown Arena on BU’s campus.

Masch Smash
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Offense Comes to Life Against Princeton

The Harvard women's ice hockey team beat its first ranked opponent in three weeks with its 4-1 win over the Tigers.

Failure to Finish
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Shut Out By No. 4/4 Qunnipiac

After 60 minutes of grueling hockey, one shot proved to be the difference between ECAC heavyweights Harvard and Quinnipiac.

Seeking Momentum
Columns

Women's Hockey Looks for Momentum to Make Playoff Run

This weekend is a crucial turning point in the season looking at where the women's ice hockey team has been this year and how the rest of it will pan out. Harvard is facing off against Quinnipiac and Princeton, with both teams ranked in the top ten at fourth and ninth, respectively.

Soaring Eagles
Women's Ice Hockey

Women's Hockey Drops Third Straight With 2-0 Loss to BC

No. 1/1 Boston College (24-0, 16-0 ECAC) held off the Crimson, 2-0, (10-7-1, 5-7-1) and maintained its undefeated record.

Mighty Miye
Women's Ice Hockey

No. 9/9 Women's Hockey Stops Short Skid, Sweeps Weekend

The Crimson was coming off of a low note at the end of 2015, having closed out the first half of its season with overtime losses to Quinnipiac and Princeton. Harvard was able to set a new tone for 2016 in this weekend’s matchups.

Daniels Downs Rivals
Women's Ice Hockey

Team of the Year: Women's Ice Hockey

​On the ice at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis, over 1,100 miles from home, the Harvard women’s ice hockey team had the program’s first NCAA title within reach. But 60 minutes of play later, that same ice was cleared smooth once again, and the Crimson watched another team, hometown favorite Minnesota, hoist the trophy in victory.

Stone's Success
Women's Ice Hockey

Coach of the Year, Runner-Up: Katey Stone, Women's Ice Hockey

After being away from the program for last season to coach the U.S. Olympic team in Sochi, Russia, Harvard women’s ice hockey coach Katey Stone returned to the Crimson for her 20th season and continued her success as the head of the program.