Sharon Van Etten Bares Her Broken Heart

Sharon Van Etten -- "Epic" -- Ba Da Bing -- 4 STARS

By Keerthi Reddy, Contributing Writer

From the first track, it is clear that Sharon Van Etten’s newest album “Epic” is much more than entertainment or easy listening—it is the story of her life. Written entirely during an abusive relationship, the music is a chronicle of pain and healing, and a narrative that is both tragic and hopeful. Van Etten bares her soul to her audience, giving herself nowhere to hide as she shares these intensely personal experiences through her deceptively calming songs.

The strength of “Epic” is that it is powerfully simple. Through carefully constructed arrangements, Van Etten’s economy leaves no room for redundance. The result is raw emotion. The tone of the album is unmistakably clear, shifting between pained to hopeful but retaining strength throughout. It’s as if she were performing the songs at an open mic for a tiny crowd. She is by no means an amateur; she simply is natural.

Van Etten’s lyrics also come across unimpeded, telling tales of heartbreak that are at times marked with hope. She shares everything, even though in “A Crime” she claims that she is “Turning all the words around in my head that I won’t say.” She never speaks in ambiguous metaphors but speaks plainly, always getting her message through. In the opening track, “A Crime,” she sings, “Seduce me with your charms / Until I’m drunk on them / Go home and drink in bed / And never let myself be in love like that again.” Her straightforward words give direct access to the emotions she is trying to convey. This clarity allows her doleful songs to never seem forced or fake.

However, the power of her individual songs is not lost in the simplicity of Van Etten’s album. Rather, the grouping gives the individual parts strength through context. The album is cohesive, as it is held together by the story of Van Etten’s past. It opens with the typical singer-songwriter guitar and vocal instrumentation; but there is a satisfying contrast between hearty chords and Van Etten’s sweet voice cooing about the hurt her love dragged her through.

As the album progresses, the songs add electronic instruments and percussion. They also speed up and sound more uplifting, though the lyrics still betray pain and disillusionment. “Don’t you think I know / You’re only trying to save yourself / Just like everyone else,” Van Etten calmly remarks in a sing-songy voice during “Save Yourself.” Here Van Etten sounds stronger, bolstered by a host of harmonies and a soothing slide guitar, a piano, drums and rhythm guitar. The first songs of the album, though progressively more complex, are still tied together with their sweet, pained tone.

Then, with “DsharpG,” the fourth track, “Epic” takes a sharp turn. “DsharpG” is ethereal—almost verging on shoegaze—and is dominated by a haunting mood. As she switches from sweet to dissonant, Van Etten refocuses the listener on her sorrow. However, while a harmonium drones painfully on in the background, Van Etten’s vocals and harmonies dominate the song, and the result is an angelic triumph over chaos. The peaceful and delicate timbre of her voice drowns her pain, though both are clearly present. While this song would be hard pressed to stand alone, it is magic in the course of the album.

After the taxing experience of “DsharpG,” Van Etten rewards the listener with a worthy finish. She returns to her singer-songwriter style, combined with a more upbeat rhythm and consistently powerful lyrics. The album’s closing number begins again with the harmonium drone, which calls back “DsharpG” and serves as a musical reminder of the ever-present pain of her past relationship. However, her soft voice cuts in, and the result is a tender finish with a touch of hope.

As Van Etten’s last song fades from the speakers, it is clear she has done more than play a collection of songs: she has shared a part of herself and allowed the listener get to know her on a deep level. Her lyrics have a frankness comparable to that of Johnny Cash, and they convey meaning in a simple, direct way. Her music is real, to her and to the listener.

Music