Obama Addresses Boston Citizens After Marathon Explosions

By Matthew Q. Clarida, Crimson Staff Writer

Hours before a standoff with police in Watertown concluded with the death of one of the two men believed to be responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings, healing began in Boston on Thursday morning.

On a picture-perfect spring day in Boston’s South End, President Barack Obama joined hundreds of Bostonians and a large cast of local leaders for an interfaith service at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross. Among the guests were Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley, Governor Deval L. Patrick ’78, former governors Mitt Romney, William H. Weld, and Jane M. Swift, and University President Drew G. Faust.

Before Obama took the stage to deliver widely anticipated remarks, Menino boldly stood to speak to the city he has represented for two decades, withstanding the broken leg which has recently kept him confined to a wheelchair.

“It is a good morning because we are here together,” he said. “We are Boston. No adversity, no challenge—nothing—can tear down the resilience of this city and its people.”

Patrick followed with his trademark oratory, praising the crowd for not allowing tragedy and fear to eliminate basic kindness.

“Just as we cannot permit darkness and hate to triumph over our spiritual faith, so we must not permit darkness and hate to triumph over our civic faith,” he said. “That cannot happen. And it will not.”

Obama began his remarks by thanking Menino and Patrick for leadership before reaching out to every Bostonian.

“I’m here today on behalf of the American people with a simple message,” he said. “Every one of us has been touched by this attack on your beloved city.”

He also thanked the city, saying that it had made a mark on him and countless others as a haven for new Americans and a mecca of education.

“There’s a piece of Boston in me,” he said. “You welcomed me as a young law student across the river; you welcomed Michelle, too. You welcomed me during a convention when I was still a state senator and very few people could pronounce my name right.”

Perhaps the most powerful segment of Obama’s remarks was his tribute to the three victims of the explosions. Telling the audience that the prayers of the nation were with the dead, wounded, and their relatives, the president appeared to choke up momentarily when he talked about Martin Richard, the eight-year-old from Dorchester who died after watching his father finish the race.

“We’re left with two enduring images of this little boy,” Obama said. “Forever smiling for his beloved Bruins, and forever expressing a wish he made on a blue poster board: “No more hurting people. Peace.”

Despite the tragic nature of the week’s events, though, the president would not let his speech end on a down note. As he concluded, the president gave them something to cheer about.

“When the Sox and Celtics and Patriots or Bruins are champions again—to the chagrin of New York and Chicago fans— the crowds will gather and watch a parade go down Boylston Street,” he said, sending the crowd into an immediate standing ovation marked by raucous cheers.

“And this time next year, on the third Monday in April, the world will return to this great American city to run harder than ever, and to cheer even louder, for the 118th Boston Marathon. Bet on it.”

—Staff writer Matthew Q. Clarida can be reached at clarida@college.harvard.edu. Follow him on Twitter @MattClarida.

CrimeBostonBoston MarathonObamaMetro