Hear Me Out: Miguel, "Simplethings"

By Victoria Lin, Contributing Writer

The first 10 seconds of Miguel’s “Simplethings” seem more Nirvana than Prince, though Miguel cites the latter as one of his most significant musical influences. The track, released on the second-season soundtrack of the HBO series “Girls,” is a startling amalgam of grunge and R&B, melding the low buzz of distorted guitar with slick production that showcases Miguel’s vocal range and dexterity. As a show, “Girls” is ultimately a celebration of the ordinary, and “Simplethings” provides an oddly appropriate musical background. “I don’t need a model / I don’t need a debutante,” Miguel croons. “A free spirit / with a wild heart... someone real / someone true”—and the ladies of “Girls” are nothing if not heartbreakingly, earnestly true and relatable in the way they live from day to mundane day.

The single bodes well for Miguel’s as-of-yet untitled third studio album, which the artist claims will top even 2012’s critically acclaimed “Kaleidoscope Dream.” Though in the past he has frequently been compared to artists like the Grammy-winning Frank Ocean and indie R&B darling The Weeknd, with “Simplethings” Miguel crafts a song that distinguishes itself with seamless integration of two highly disparate genres, proving himself more than capable of holding his own and giving listeners a taste of what is yet to come.

MusicArts