Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Students Form All-Female Final Club The ‘X’

By Caroline S. Engelmayer and Michael E. Xie, Crimson Staff Writers

Students have formed a new all-female final club called the Exister Society, according to an email sent to some undergraduates Wednesday night and obtained by The Crimson.

The group is partnering with the mobile dating app Bumble to host a party April 23, according to the email.

The club—nicknamed the “X”—is hosting the party at a club in Central Square, per the email. The party is titled "Parental Advisory Explicit Content."

The X, which was founded in fall 2017, is currently all-female, according to X President Eliza Alston ’19.

The club’s formation came some time before the Harvard Corporation—the University’s highest governing body—voted in Dec. 2017 to officially approve the College’s policy sanctioning members of unrecognized single-gender final clubs and Greek organizations.

The social group policy, which took effect with the Class of 2021, bars members of single-gender social groups from holding campus leadership positions, serving as captains of varsity athletic teams, or receiving College endorsement for prestigious post-graduate fellowships.

Madeleine L. Lapuerta ’20, campus director at Harvard for Bumble, said in an interview Sunday that her job is to seek partnerships to “spread word around” about the dating app. She added that the X’s party serves as a way to “promote Bumble.”

“My whole role in this was literally just to find an opportunity for Bumble to get out there more on campus, and I thought that a final club party was a great way to do that,” Lapuerta said.

Both Alston and Lapuerta did not comment on the specific nature of the partnership between the X and Bumble.

—Staff writer Michael E. Xie can be reached at michael.xie@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @MichaelEXie1.

College AdministrationCollege LifeFinal ClubsFront Feature