Associate Dean of Student Engagement Alex Miller to Step Down in June

University Hall, which sits at the center of Harvard Yard, is home to many administrative offices, including those of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Harvard College.
University Hall, which sits at the center of Harvard Yard, is home to many administrative offices, including those of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Harvard College. By Aiyana G. White
By Declan J. Knieriem, Crimson Staff Writer

Associate Dean of Student Engagement Alexander R. Miller will step down in June to fill a new post as vice president for student development at Denison University, Dean of Students Katherine G. O’Dair announced in an email to students Friday.

O’Dair wrote that Miller’s departure is “bittersweet,” and praised his work for the Dean of Students Office, including expanding the College Events Board and Crimson After Dark, as well as creating policies regarding independent student organizations.

“Much of what he achieved cannot be summarized on a resume or in a bullet point,” she wrote. “Throughout the last four years, Alex has left a lasting impression on the many students and colleagues who he has partnered with. I know I am not alone when I say that I will miss Alex’s presence, leadership, energy, innovative approach to challenging situations, and his ability to bring out the best in others. Most of all, I will miss his unwavering commitment to you, our students.”

Miller, who will begin his tenure at Denison on July 1, also currently serves as acting associate dean for inclusion and belonging at Harvard College. He is slated to serve in that role until Alta Mauro takes over on May 1.

Miller wrote he is “beyond excited” to move into his new role, but also acknowledged the transition from Harvard will be difficult for him.

“I am both humbled and honored to take on this exciting role at Denison University and build upon the ongoing and extraordinary work of their Student Development team,” Miller wrote. “At the same time, this is also a difficult transition for me emotionally and professionally. Harvard has been one of the most formative professional experiences of my career, and one I will always cherish.”

Miller joined Harvard College in June 2016 as assistant dean for student life. As associate dean, Miller served as a liaison between student organizations and the College. He and his colleagues helped implement the historic sanctions against single-gender final clubs and Greek organizations, which barred members of those groups from serving as captains of varsity athletic teams or holding leadership posts in recognized student groups.

Miller, who worked at the University Of Chicago prior to his appointment at Harvard, also said he is looking forward to returning to the Midwest.

“Returning to the Midwest excites me, but the fondness I have developed for New England will cause me to miss it dearly," he wrote.

—Staff writer Declan J. Knieriem can be reached at declan.knieriem@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter at @DeclanKnieriem.

CollegeStudent LifeCollege AdministrationCollege News