Residents Demand Answers at Council Meeting on Police Killing of Sayed Faisal

Bob Odenkirk Named Hasty Pudding Man of the Year

Harvard Kennedy School Dean Reverses Course, Will Name Ken Roth Fellow

Ex-Provost, Harvard Corporation Member Will Investigate Stanford President’s Scientific Misconduct Allegations

Harvard Medical School Drops Out of U.S. News Rankings

Former Chemistry Chair Convicted

Harvard Professor Charles Lieber was Convicted of Lying About His Ties to China

Harvard professor Charles M. Lieber exits the John J. Moakley United States Courthouse Tuesday evening after being found guilty of lying about his ties to a Chinese recruitment program.
By Isabella B. Cho, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard professor Charles M. Lieber was found guilty in December of lying to federal authorities about his ties to China.

Lieber, a renowned research chemist, was arrested on Harvard’s campus in January 2020 for allegedly lying to federal investigators about his ties to China's Thousand Talents Program — a state-sponsored recruitment initiative aimed at attracting overseas science talent to the country.

A federal jury found Lieber guilty in December of six felony charges, including two counts of making false statements to investigators and four tax offenses. During the week-long trial, prosecutors said Lieber concealed his ties to the TTP in pursuit of money and notoriety.

The Lieber case served as a high-profile test for the Department of Justice’s controversial China Initiative, an anti-espionage crackdown started under the Trump administration that critics have accused of racial bias.

Lieber, who is currently battling incurable lymphoma, will be sentenced at a later hearing. His conviction carries a maximum prison sentence of 26 years and up to $1.2 million in fines.

—Isabella B. Cho, Crimson Staff Writer