Maude Latour Concert Review: Exploring Love, Community, and The Now

Alt-pop breakout Maude Latour performs at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston.
Alt-pop breakout Maude Latour performs at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston. By Anna Moiseieva
By Anna Moiseieva, Crimson Staff Writer

Kicking off her first night on tour in Boston, Maude Latour took the stage of Paradise Rock Club on Sept. 29. Hours before the release of her EP “001,” Latour told fans she was excited and grateful to celebrate the milestone with them.

Riding this wave of this excitement, Latour opened her show with her recently released single “Cyclone.” A song apt for the transition of summer adventures to fall and winter quiescence, it blends nostalgia for the past with themes of growth. Highlighting the struggle of finding oneself while alone, the song ultimately affirms the importance of community and human relationships with the ending refrain of “you know me well.”

Latour kicked off her headlining "what is this feeling?" tour in Boston on Sept. 29.
Latour kicked off her headlining "what is this feeling?" tour in Boston on Sept. 29. By Courtesy of Anna Moiseieva

Paying homage to her older works, Latour sang “Ride my Bike,” an exploration of spontaneity and the feeling of being alive. Emphasizing the importance of being present in the moment, “Ride my Bike,” like much of Latour’s music, focuses on enjoying where you are and what you have now. Shifts in Latour’s vocal pitch and the addition of fast-paced drum beats created a beat-drop worthy of dancing along to, encouraging her audience to put that message into practice.

Like many female-identifying artists who have performed recently, Latour chose to speak on abortion rights prior to performing “Lola,” a song about sisterhood, radical self love, and solidarity, according to the singer. Dedicating “Lola” to women, queer people, trans people, and the right to choose, Latour launched into the song’s verse, momentarily overshadowed by chants of “keep my girls protected, I’m turned on when I’m respected.”

The 22-year-old singer/songwriter shared anectodes from her time in Boston.
The 22-year-old singer/songwriter shared anectodes from her time in Boston. By Courtesy of Anna Moiseieva

Sharing anecdotes from her journey to Boston, Latour took a break during her set to talk to the audience, accept gifts from fans, and take their BeReals. Connection has always been a priority for the singer. From talking with fans online via social media, sharing behind the scenes photos of her life, and performing Tiny Desk-style concerts at Harvard’s own literary magazine, The Harvard Advocate, connecting with others has always been important to Latour. Taking this relationship a step further, Latour sought to welcome her audience into the world of performing. Dividing the crowd in half for the song “Trees,” the singer led each side in their respective vocal layer to create an all-encompassing harmony, reinforcing the song’s message that “everything is everything and I see you in everything.”

Connection with the fans has always been a priority for Latour.
Connection with the fans has always been a priority for Latour. By Courtesy of Anna Moiseieva

Maude Latour aptly chose to wrap up her set with the fan favorite track “One More Weekend.” With a strong beat and catchy lyrics, the pop ballad about accepting impermanence gave ample opportunity for singing, dancing, and just straight up having a good time. Re-entering the stage to quell the demands for an encore, Latour performed “Furniture” and “Block Your Number” to truly end the show. The two tracks further highlighted Latour’s belief in enjoying the moment, not worrying about the future too much, and focusing on community with lyrics illustrating that “nothing lasts forever” in the context of romantic relationships.

Latour’s dynamic performance created a powerful experience for all, garnering buzz for not only her newest EP but also her entire discography. A rapidly growing singer, Maude Latour is sure to continue on her path of creating dazzling music.

Maude Latour performed “Furniture” and “Block Your Number” for the encore.
Maude Latour performed “Furniture” and “Block Your Number” for the encore. By Courtesy of Anna Moiseieva

—Staff writer Anna Moiseieva can be reached at anna.moiseieva@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter at @AMoiseieva.

MusicArts