Spilling the Beans: Starbucks to Rejoin Harvard Square — In a New Location

The Abbot Building is set to become Starbucks' new home in Harvard Square.
The Abbot Building is set to become Starbucks' new home in Harvard Square. By Addison Y. Liu
By Kate Delval Gonzalez, Crimson Staff Writer

Just in time for peppermint and holiday drinks, Starbucks will return to Harvard Square in November — right down the road from its previous location on Massachusetts Avenue.

The new location will join the recently renovated El Jefe’s Taqueria and the new Central Rock Gym in the Abbot Building, which previously housed the famous Curious George Store.

Since 2018, three Starbucks coffee shops have closed in Harvard Square — the most recent one in November 2021, when the company closed its popular 1380 Massachusetts Ave. location.

A Starbucks spokesperson wrote in a November email that the decision to close the store last year came “after careful consideration” and a review “to ensure a healthy store portfolio.” The location has since been taken over by the Harvard Shop.

Harvard Square Business Association Executive Director Denise A. Jillson said many who frequent the Square were left mourning the loss of the last Starbucks shop after its doors closed.

“There has been a lot of lamenting since Starbucks at Harvard Yard closed, because, as you might remember, we had four Starbucks at one point,” Jillson said.

“You discover how much you really miss something when it’s no longer there,” she added.

Nearly a year later, students said they are excited about the return of Starbucks to the Square.

Peter A. Jin ‘25 said he thinks “it makes sense that there should be the option for Starbucks for anyone” on a college campus.

Jillson described the incoming manager of the new Starbucks, John Corredor, as “a veteran Starbucks employee” who is “very familiar with the Square.” Corredor previously worked at the Harvard Yard Starbucks location.

“Starbucks has been a long-time member of the Harvard Square Business Association. They are terrific community partners,” Jillson said.

Though the new Starbucks location in the Abbot building will be smaller, Jillson said the Square is “delighted to have them back.”

“We’re anxious for November. We’re anxious for that iconic location,” Jillson said.

—Staff writer Kate Delval Gonzalez can be reached at kate.delvalgonzalez@thecrimson.com.

Food and DrinkHarvard SquareSquare Business