‘We Are The Land’ Review: A Reclamation of Culture and a Testimony to Survival

"We Are The Land" from Wampanoag Nation at Emerson Cutler Majestic Theatre.
"We Are The Land" from Wampanoag Nation at Emerson Cutler Majestic Theatre. By Courtesy of Don Moore Photography
By Ava E. Silva, Contributing Writer

The campfire at the center of the stage is the first thing that captures audiences’ attention when they enter the Emerson Cutler Majestic Theatre for “We Are The Land.” It casts a warm glow around the historic, ornately designed walls of the theater. The venue may have been created for bright spotlights and huge productions, but for this show, it is only illuminated by the flicker of the campfire light. The campfire represents ones that began burning thousands of years before the city of Boston was established, was dimmed for centuries, but now shines again for unified storytelling.

Presented by The Wampanoag Nation, “We Are The Land” touches on 10,000 years of tribal history. From pre-colonization to modern struggles, the show mixes stories of the past with contemporary issues. “We Are The Land”' is a stunning piece of theatrical work. The show redefines what a stage production can include and watching it will without a doubt leave any audience member moved.

The show is formatted by displaying historic events; then a Mashpee Wampanoag tribal member breaks the fourth wall to reflect on the scenes. By featuring continuously changing narrators, “We Are The Land” highlights the sense of community within many tribal nations. The show also highlights the recurring theme of the Wampanoag Tribe’s struggle, historical and continuous, but they continue to remain.

“We Are The Land” is committed to authenticity in every detail, from the realistic costumes within both the tribal community and colonists to the scenic design displaying a traditional wigwam with fur hanging to dry. Director Siobhan Brown, given name Keesuty8ee, honors the traditions of the Wampanoag tribe and brings a whole new dimension to storytelling. The rapid and sporadically moving timeline could be easily confusing to the audiences, but it is well executed without the historical context being forgotten or over-explained, which would bore the audience. The creative direction honors ancestors while being undoubtedly modern.

The most prolific moments of the show happen without dialogue. The show begins its musical elements before any performer takes the stage. As guests take their seats, soft flute music and occasional water sounds play before the show. This use of instruments mixed with natural sounds show the close tie of land and culture. The music continues as the show begins, the soft flute growing louder until it is joined with chanting and singing. Throughout the show, chanting, singing, and drumming create the historical ambience. The music overall is utilized in a very impactful way, it centers the audience not only historically but culturally as well. The music and singing of The Wampanoag Tribe is central to their culture, and by sharing it they tell history as well as submerge the audience into their walk of life.

Perhaps one of the most impactful moments of the production comes after the first act — presented not through acting but rather, dance. As the foreshadowing of impending doom lingers in the air, white flags dance, the music begins to crescendo, images of Native Americans being killed by disease or murder flash on the screen, while the actors move from frozen in place to lying on the ground. Overall, the sequence is wonderful. The theater is washed in a pin dropping silence for the first and only time of the production, while simultaneously the minds of the audience are almost audibly turning over what they have just observed. The progression utilizes choreography, music, and visuals to combine into a truly incredible moment of theater.

The play ends with testimonies from each of the performers about their experiences as indigenous people, and what working on the play means for them. While acting performances are not the show’s strongest element, with occasional awkward movement around the stage and difficulty facing the audience when needed, the actors tell the story effectively and use their lines to evoke frustration at past wrongs and the system it produced along with pride in Native communities to revitalize their traditions. The performers succeed in drawing out raw emotions from the audience because their stories are personal and vulnerable: For some, their personalities are clear and their monologues feel like conversations. The entire show — a group of tribal members telling a story by the fire, dancing, and fighting with what indignity means in a changing world — triggers historical déjà vu. The change from the traditional stage performance is a gripping and refreshing new take. The authenticity of the acting makes it impossible to tell where the stage ends and the audience begins.

Throughout the play, even in moments of complete darkness, the campfire still flickers and gleams — showing that even in extreme trials, the voices cannot be erased. Throughout persecution, colonization, and massacre, The Wampanoag People remain. “We Are The Land” is a testimony of survival and a celebration of culture. It is an astounding show that empowers Native voices and stories. It’s a moving production and audiences are lucky The Wampanoag Nation chose to share such an intimate work. The show ends with two elders by the fire, the night approaching, ending as we finished. The circle of events questions if anything will change or if the story will repeat.

TheaterArts