‘Something To Give Each Other’ Album Review: The Euphoria of Queer Love, Lust, and Loss

4 Stars

Troye Sivan released "Something to Give Each Other" on Oct. 13.
Troye Sivan released "Something to Give Each Other" on Oct. 13. By Courtesy of Troye Sivan / Capitol Records / Universal Music Australia
By Vikram M. Kolli, Contributing Writer

Steeped in the ecstasy of romantic escapades, the sorrow of breakups, and the longing for a reconnection, Australian singer Troye Sivan’s third studio album “Something To Give Each Other” is the perfect illustration of mental oscillation in the wake of heartbreak.

The album, released by EMI Music Australia and Capitol Records on Oct. 13, follows the journey towards understanding identity and sexuality, a path that Sivan has guided listeners along for the past decade.

The voyage truly began with his first studio album, “Blue Neighbourhood,” the story of young love developed through an exploration of sexuality, and awakened three years later, in his second album “Bloom.” Sivan’s recent release thus appears to be a culmination of the lessons learned over the past decade, and his lyricism and production showcase an attempt to grasp for romantic and personal closure.

As the lead single released earlier this year in June, “Rush” is a gut punch of an introduction: Powerful and rhapsodic, it can only be described as reminiscent of the ambiance within a gay club. Sivan’s background vocals offer a dominant and dynamic presence of masculinity, and the transition from punctual statements of feeling “the rush” to the heated, lightweight descriptions of physical intimacy exacerbate the already oscillating pushes and pulls of lust. The song serves as an exceptional opener with its emotionally charged, and compelling vocal dynamics, and intricate exploration of desire, instantly capturing the audience's attention and setting the tone for what's to come.

Following with “What’s the Time Where You Are,” Sivan's album continues the musical journey with a collage of voice overs, delving into the challenges of physical separation and the struggles of long-distance relationships as he laments “I'm feelin' like my head's just in a distant time and place.”

As the track “One of Your Girls” plays, a hint of a ballad emerges as the song addresses the struggles of queer men and their battle with societal pressures of masculinity. The lyrics explicitly outline the feeling that numerous queer men face: The need to be someone they're not and a desire to be held, understood, and appreciated. There’s a rationalization to being treated as inferior, compromising that the two lovers can “keep it a secret’ and begging ‘give me a call if you’re ever desperate / i’ll be like one of your girls.” The song is by far Sivan’s strongest on the album as it combines his passionate lyricism with the facade of an upbeat track, veiling true emotion behind what appears to be lively.

“In My Room” establishes a fantastic mix similar to a bedroom pop vibe. The lyrics convey a sense of solitude as Sivan sings, “I'm all alone in my room / I'm just thinkin' 'bout you.” The embedded call and response formula in Spanish adds to the song's euphoric atmosphere, enabling it to be more than just a filler track, but also a transitional piece to underscore the range of emotions that love truly is

“Still Got It” introduces background organs that combine a funeral march symbolic of a lost relationship with attempts of upbeat pop to resurrect someone from the death of heartbreak. The strumming of the guitar brings the listener closer, exploring the complexities of intimacy and the possibility of rekindling a relationship. It’s a poignant contrast to Sivan's “The Good Side” and delves into the jealousy that can arise in a relationship. Sivan sees the other side of breakups: the backlash, the constant questioning, and, quite literally, the fact that he has “still got it bad.”

“Can't Go Back Baby” sets a melancholic tone with piano chords, suggesting its beginning as a ballad. But the song slowly picks up, expresses a deep sense of longing and regret over past mistakes in a relationship. The lyrics convey the complex emotions of feeling more than just romantic: “More than just my enemy, you were my lover too.” It's a song of mental fluctuations, torn between returning to what hurts and moving forward, all while dealing with a constant sense of longing.

“Got Me Started” kicks off with an iconic beat and samples “Shooting Stars.” The penultimate line of the bridge cleverly includes the album's title, tying together the song’s theme of growth that comes from learning from one another. It subsequently serves as a stepping stone to “Silly,” upholding the ideas of personal growth and creating an ambiance reminiscent of a club's flashing lights during a night of recklessness. The song explores the intimacy of dancing on the floor with a significant other, emphasizing the importance of emotional depth in relationships over mere physicality as Sivan sings,“there's only so much a body can work out, a body could do.”

The album concludes with “How to Stay With You,” a song of reconnection. The saxophone that closes out the song is open-ended, signifying that the relationship, the connections, and the memories still hold purpose in his life. It is only through growth and the everlasting connection that one can truly find closure.

“Something To Give Each Other” is truly a five-star album. It emanates a raw emotion that Sivan pictures like never before, going so far as to reveal his complete authenticity, conveying the nuances of queer relationships and the struggles that coincide with heteronormativity through the lyricism and dance-pop inspiration. The songs are more than just breakup songs, acknowledging the past, but instead also question the ways in which humans grow from heartbreak, especially when closure may not be attainable.

In the melodic tapestry of “Something To Give Each Other,” listeners explore the tumultuous landscape of love, identity, and the ever-shifting sands of human emotion. The album is an odyssey through the heart's highs and lows, from the exhilaration of new love to the heartache of breakups and the enduring hope of reconnection. Its themes resonate with anyone who has ever loved, lost, and yearned to recapture that spark, and acts a testament to the power of music to capture the essence of our emotional rollercoaster.Sivan's masterful storytelling, rich lyricism, and poignant melodies make this album a vivid reminder that the human heart never stops searching for something to give and receive in the world of love.

MusicArts