Artist Profile: Matthew W. Cole ’24 on the Balancing Act of Stand-up Comedy

Matthew Cole '24 is a senior in Dunster House involved in theater and comedy on Harvard's campus.
Matthew Cole '24 is a senior in Dunster House involved in theater and comedy on Harvard's campus. By Courtesy of Madi Fabber
By Nell G. Cunningham, Contributing Writer

Involvement in the arts is rarely a singular or straight path. As a writer, actor, comedian, and visual artist, Matthew W. Cole ’24 has embodied this idea during his time at Harvard.

“I’ve kind of had my hand in a lot of different pies, as the saying would go,” Cole said in an interview with The Harvard Crimson.

Among other things, Cole spends much of his time as a performer and board member of the Harvard College Stand-up Comic Society as well as a cast member and script writer for the Hasty Pudding Theatricals. After college, he intends to go to New York City to pursue writing and stand up comedy.

Given the wide spread of his involvement in the arts at Harvard and artistic goals for the future, it comes as a surprise that Cole did not come into college with a clear focus on the arts.

“I thought for a long time I was maybe going to go to medical school,” he said.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, Cole reflected on what really mattered to him.

“I realized the stuff I loved the most is the sort of artsy stuff that I was doing,” he said.

With this new perspective, he came to be the artistic multi-hyphenate that he is now. Mainly, Cole defines himself as a writer and performer. As a comedian, in addition to HCSUCS, he is a member of the Harvard improv group On Thin Ice. As a cast member and script writer for the Hasty Pudding Theatricals, he co-wrote a musical, “Cosmic Relief,” last year with fellow student Maureen Clare ’23. Cole also performed in “Cosmic Relief,” as well as The Hasty Pudding’s prior show, “Ship Happens,” and he will perform in their upcoming show, “Heist Heist Baby.”

Cole has also taken various opportunities to be a part of the artistic community at Harvard beyond writing and performing. He worked as a hair and makeup artist on the Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club’s recent production of “Heathers” and currently takes a costume design class in the Theater, Dance, and Media department. He also performed as a stand-up comedian in New York City during the summer after his sophomore year alongside a theater internship that he was able to find through Harvardwood. Currently, he is writing a play for his senior thesis.

Across his artistic pursuits, comedy has emerged as a natural and consistent focus.

“Trying to make people laugh, it’s always been something that, like, has been an instinct of mine interpersonally,” he said.

Undoubtedly, Cole’s knack for comedy and improvisation have worked to his benefit. This was clear when he auditioned for “White House Princess,” a musical recently performed at Harvard and written by Maureen Clare ’23 and Charlotte J. Daniels ’23. Cole auditioned by simply singing the national anthem — partly due to the White House setting, and mainly to “make [his] friend Maureen laugh.”

“They liked it so much that they decided to put it in the show,” Cole said. “And so I opened every show dressed as the Statue of Liberty singing a comedically overwrought rendition of the national anthem.”

These small moments of instinct and improvisation have proved the most successful elements of his art, writing, and performances.

In stand-up comedy, however, Cole has come to understand that natural talent and a good sense of humor can only take a person so far.

“As a stand-up comedian, you really have to create a very curated version of yourself,” he explained.

For him, success in comedy is not only about broadly being funny but also about understanding which specific parts of oneself are the most amusing.

“What is the most interesting version of me where I can justify getting up there and talking about, you know, a conversation I had with my friends or something stupid I did when I was like, five years old, you know, what is that version?” Cole said, describing his thought process in developing his stand-up sets.

Consequently, Cole’s approach to comedy deliberately balances instinctive comedic talent and calculated self-awareness in the pursuit of a successful final product. In striking this perfect balance, Cole has come to understand that stand-up comedy can be a rollercoaster of emotions.

“The highs of doing a good job are like a huge ego boost. I am on top of the world and I am, you know, God’s gift to comedy. The lows are really devastating where it’s not like, maybe not only did I have an off night, but maybe I am, as a person, not interesting or funny,” he said.

These ups and downs demonstrate the personal connection that Cole feels to his comedy, in that the audience’s reaction to him is not only a reflection of his material but also a potential reflection of his instinct for comedy in general. Cole’s keen self-awareness only serves to enhance his art, as he strives to curate the version of himself that will be most enjoyable for audiences.

As a senior at Harvard, Cole is beginning to turn his focus to the future.

“After college, my plan is to write a whole lot and hopefully make enough money to be air conditioned in New York City,” he said.

Although it’s easy to imagine oneself rising to individual fame and notoriety in pursuit of a career in entertainment, Cole has come to value his art far more than the spotlight that it grants him.

“I am happy to be, you know, not getting a ton of recognition but being part of this industry that brings me so much joy,” he explained.

Although his path may not be completely clear yet, Cole’s openness and experience indicate potential great success in his goals for the future. And as a Harvard student, he has the security of knowing that — no matter what may happen in his artistic career — “there’s always SAT tutoring” as a backup.

TheaterArts