‘Red Moon In Venus’ Review: A Celestial Music Journey

5/5 Stars

Kali Uchis Released "Red Moon In Venus" on March 3
By Makayla I. Gathers, Crimson Staff Writer

Kali Uchis Released "Red Moon In Venus" on March 3 By Courtesy of Kali Uchis / Geffen Records

Composed with alluring lyrics and a sound that transcends genres, Kali Uchis is back, with her third full-length album “Red Moon In Venus.” This long-anticipated album is a treat for her fans as it maintains similar musical motifs as her last album, 2020’s “Sin Miedo,” while also exploring novel sounds. The vulnerability on display throughout this album is impressive and unexpected, as Uchis points directly to her fans, haters, past lovers, and even her current boyfriend, Houston rapper Don Toliver. This intimate collection of tracks has the power to draw in anyone with an appreciation for chill, meditative energy, and music that mimics an almost fairy-tale-like daze. Kali Uchis creates a peaceful, happy place to welcome listeners into. Her smooth manipulation of flower imagery and astrology references sets the stage for a euphoric listening experience.

The album’s first single, “I Wish You Roses,” perfectly works in tandem with the album opener “In My Garden.” Filled with the sounds of birds and nature, “In My Garden,” creates the serene setting present across the album, as Uchis whispers “I love you,” preparing listeners for the spiritual journey that awaits. Immediately entering into the next song, the journey begins with the repeated chorus “I wish you love, I wish you well, I wish you roses.” Contrasting the petals and thorns of a rose, Uchis’ album showcases the passionate duality as intense feelings interchange with softness, and emotions rising and falling like the ocean.

This cyclical and heartfelt experience is further shown through the astrological themes of the album’s title and its second single “Moonlight.” The rarity and show-stopping effect of a red moon expresses the power and importance of the once in a lifetime, authentic love she writes about, while also referencing femininity, desire, and emotion. This effect is also created through the reference to Venus, the roman goddess associated with romance and harmony, love and beauty. Layering harmonies in the song “Love Between,” she designs these themes in the orchestration as she beautifully and simply repeats “love between two human beings can be so wonderful.”

The musical compositions behind the lyrics seem to connect to each other in ways that help tie them to her different eras. In the songs “Como Te Quiero Yo” and “Hasta Cuando,” a similar sound that was found in “Sin Miedo,” can be heard.Thus, Uchis pays homage to the sound and themes of her second album, which was sung almost entirely in Spanish and was heavily influenced by Latin music. It's a heartwarming nod, as the Columbian-American singer fought to have this album in Spanish, despite being told it wouldn’t be successful. Ultimately proving the critics wrong, “Sin Miedo,” contains some of her biggest hits like “Telepatia,” and received a nomination for the Grammy Award for Best Música Urbana Album. On Red Moon In Venus, Uchis continues to prove herself as an artist whose music is blooming alongside her, while maintaining confidence in her style,and defining her own sound more and more every album.

Uchis also does a skillful job incorporating other artists on features throughout the album. On “Red Moon In Venus,” she collaborates with Omar Apollo, Don Toliver, and Summer Walker. Each feature branches away from the general sound of the album to compliment the genre and style of the artist featured. Omar Apollo’s catchy and funky sound makes for a perfect addition on “Worth the Wait,” as he and Uchis play off of each other’s verses, making it a fun and stunning piece. Both Don Toliver and Summer Walker’s features on “Fantasy” and “Deserve Me,” respectively, enhance the album with distinct themes of R&B that expand the breadth of Uchis’ reach rather than distract from it.

Briefly disrupting the album, “Not Too Late (interlude),” signals the journey is sadly coming to an end. Uchis teases “It’s not too late to admit you love me,” before continuing into the last few songs of the album. The last track “Happy Now,” feels like a celebratory, bittersweet finale. Uchis poses the question “Can we be happy now?” over an upbeat sound, tying together the motifs of the album with references to the stars aligning and having perfect timing in a relationship. Suddenly, the music changes, to a gentle riff, with the ocean in the background. Peacefully transporting listeners out of the world of the album, Kali Uchis shows just how dimensional her music is. She emphasizes the importance of “peace of mind,” and gives an angelic warning: “Don’t speed through the rainbows.” This time-stopping piece is a must-listen, promoting self-reflection, healing, and mental wellbeing. As she speaks her final sentiments about remembering “All the good things,” the world is slowly put back into orbit, leaving the listener with the tranquil sound of waves and an urge to press replay.

— Staff writer Makayla Gathers can be reached at makayla.gathers@thecrimson.com

MusicArts