‘Lost The Breakup’ Single Review: Maisie Peters’s Energetic and Memorable Springtime Pop Ballad

3.5 Stars

"Lost The Breakup" by Maisie Peters was released on March 31.
"Lost The Breakup" by Maisie Peters was released on March 31. By Courtesy of Maisie Peters / Gingerbread Man Records
By Anna Moiseieva, Crimson Staff Writer

Maisie Peters’s newest single from her upcoming album, “The Good Witch,” is an unhinged breakup pop ballad that makes for a perfect springtime anthem. With a snappy beat and lyrics detailing the process of moving on from the end of a relationship, “Lost The Breakup” explores themes of rebirth, self-love, and excitement for adventures to come.

Its debut on The Tonight Show: Starring Jimmy Fallon on Friday, March 31, was Peters’s first live performance of the new single, though certainly not her last. In an Instagram caption promoting the song’s release, Peters said, “It feels like a song I’ll want to sing live for the rest of my life,” and with a resoundingly hopeful yet chaotic narrative set to a dynamic beat fit for dancing, there’s no surprise as to why.

In a sharp contrast from her previous single, “Body Better,” released on Jan. 27,Peters is no longer worried about her ex’s new partner and is instead moving on while rebuilding her sense of self. While acknowledging that “I’m feeling and I’m dealing / With the heart you broke,” Peters isn’t wallowing in sorrow. She condemns her ex and reaffirms her self-worth.

The addition of the drums in the pre-chorus creates an exciting tension before Peters proclaims, “I’m the best thing that almost happened to you,” and the beat drops for the start of the remarkably catchy chorus.

Peters’s acknowledgement of the present day chaos that surrounds her doesn’t diminish the potential of her future romantic possibilities. Her assertion in the chorus that “by then, I’ll be far away / and, oh shit, you lost the breakup” is a powerful, if not inspirational, prediction for love to come. With a lively instrumental backing supported by the drums, fans are sure to dance while singing, “I’m the greatest love that you wasted.”

The song’s bridge paints the picture of meeting an ex at a bar and finally being unbothered. Rejecting a bid for connection and prioritizing herself, Peters’s avenging encounter exemplifies the scornful but self-assured tone of the single. Illustrating the ultimate step to letting go and moving forward, Peters’s short but poignant dialogue conveys a sense of freedom and excitement that she “won the breakup.”

Though “Lost The Breakup” is not particularly complex in its instrumental production, its simplicity allows Peters’s vocals and lyrics to shine while telling an exciting tale that fans are sure to belt along to.

“Lost The Breakup” is an entertaining and empowering ballad indicative of the memorable lyrics and bright pop sound to come from Peters’s album, “The Good Witch,” which is set to release on June 16.

—Staff writer Anna Moiseieva can be reached at anna.moiseieva@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter at @AMoiseieva.

MusicArts