From Boston Calling 2023: The Lumineers Stun As Headliners

The Lumineers headline night two of the Boston Calling Music Festival.
The Lumineers headline night two of the Boston Calling Music Festival. By Courtesy of Boston Calling / Alive Coverage
By Julia J. Hynek, Crimson Staff Writer

After a day of fun in the Boston sun, festival-goers seemed ready for the evening — in part for some much needed respite from the heat, but mainly for the 9 pm headlining performance from The Lumineers.

For those who frequent the alternative folk genre, The Lumineers are a household name — any summer camping playlist is incomplete without at least a few tunes from the group. Even for those with a limited knowledge of indie-folk music, the band’s Billboard hits like “Ho Hey” and “Stubborn Love” are sure to ring familiar. Regardless of one’s previous level of interest in the group, however, The Lumineers live at Boston Calling were a sight to see.

The minutes leading up to the band’s entrance to the stage were accompanied by the sound of Rihanna’s “Desperado” — an unlikely choice from the folk-Americana band, raising more than a few eyebrows among the audience. However, once the band entered the stage, they fell into a familiar step immediately.

The set began with the title track from their most recent 2022 album, “Brightside.” A fitting choice for an opener; the slower, more emotional song created space for the band to build the energy. The Lumineers went on to dive right into some well-loved classics from older albums including “Cleopatra,” “Ho Hey,” and “Angela.” These snappy, well-known tunes immediately loosened up the crowd as they sang and danced along, particularly to “Ho Hey”’s signature refrain of “I belong with you, you belong with me / You're my sweetheart.”

A few tracks later came what was perhaps the highlight of the evening: A Noah Kahan guest appearance.

As any dedicated fan would know, Kahan and Wesley Schultz of The Lumineers had recently released a collaborative cover of “Jason Isbell and the 400 Units”’s “If We Were Vampires.” And as both were scheduled to perform at Boston Calling on the same day (on the same stage, no less), there was always potential to hear the new release sung live — a potential, as it turns out, that was fulfilled. Schultz began to introduce a still-unnamed guest to the stage, but as fans caught sight of Kahan waiting in the wings and put two-and-two together, they erupted into deafening cheers. Kahan and The Lumineers went on to deliver their understated yet powerful rendition, underscored by Kahan’s reliable playing of the song’s distinct guitar melody. As expected, the crowd loved every minute of it.

The Lumineers continued their set with a healthy mix of old and new, slower and upbeat. Songs like “WHERE WE ARE” and “Charlie Boy” provided a more sentimental mood, where listeners were called to focus more on songs’ lyrics or appreciate individual instrumental elements. Of course, there were also lively tracks like “Gloria” and “Big Parade” to which one cannot help but dance along to.

A notable feature of “The Lumineers” is that they are self-aware of the musical niche they find themselves in. Of course, they have their fair share of catchy beats, but folk Americana does not naturally lend itself to high energy concerts. Co-founder Jeremiah Fraites himself has acknowledged their music as deliberately simple in style. Many of the group’s songs center more around storytelling and a repeated musical pattern rather than flashy instrumentation. As such, the essence of a “Lumineers” concert is akin to something of a campfire sing-along under the stars.

Still, the group supplements this with their own infectious joy and energy. Antics abound throughout the set, including (but not limited to) headstands on tops of pianos, cartwheels, and drumsticks being thrown and caught across the stage. There is also plenty of audience interaction such as call-and-response in songs — as well as literal physical contact: Schulz and keys player Stelth Ulvang made their way through the center aisle multiple times, and at one point during “Ophelia,” Schultz even hopped the barricade and waded through the middle of a screaming crowd.

The group clearly shares a lot of love for the music and each other, and it shows. The energy and stage presence doesn’t falter even for a second, so with one final reminder to “Keep your head up, Keep your love” in the final song, it is difficult to leave a “Lumineers” concert without a smile on your face.

— Staff writer Julia Hynek can be reached at julia.hynek@thecrimson.com.

MusicArts