For the Lovers: Songs for Everyone Who Loves on Valentine’s Day

Headphones and flowers next to a Valentine's Day playlist.
Headphones and flowers next to a Valentine's Day playlist. By Xinyi (Christine) Zhang
By Kai C. W. Lewis, Contributing Writer

As the divisive celebration of Valentine’s Day slowly approaches, all who consider themselves lovers will find themselves in a different state of mind — thinking of their platonic loves, partners, situationships, themselves, and anything else that falls into this complicated and special spectrum of affection. So wherever you may find yourself on Feb. 14, here are 10 songs to accompany your day:

1. The lovers who are waiting their love to come back — “Lover, You Should’ve Come Over” by Jeff Buckley

Arguably one of Jeff Buckley’s most popular songs, this heartbreaking ballad from his first and only album “Grace,” released in 1994, captures the full emotional earthquake of wanting someone to wander back into your life. His poetic songwriting, including haunting lyrics like “It’s never over / my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder” and cathartic instrumentals, is sure to comfort anyone who sees Valentine’s Day as one of nostalgia.

2. The lovers who have just found each other — “Glue Song” by Beabadoobee

In Beabadoobee’s 2023 single, she steps away from her regular melancholic sound toward a loving, appreciative ballad. Her delivery of the wholesome lyrics makes it sound like she’s smiling behind the microphone, speaking to the warm nature of infatuation in meeting someone new. Beabadoobee has also collaborated with Amazon Music for a live performance of the song, accompanied by a children’s choir. The children’s voices compliment Beabdoobee’s in their youthful softness, elevating the song’s palatable sweetness to another level.

3. The lovers who love their friends — “Strawberry Swings” by Frank Ocean

Despite bearing the title of a Coldplay track (which is remixed into the final chorus of the song), “Strawberry Swings” features on Frank Ocean’s debut mixtape “Nostalgia, Ultra,” released in 2011. This song is not available on streaming platforms — only the occasional Spotify podcast and YouTube — but nonetheless, its genius should not be neglected. Ocean sings this track in retrospect, lamenting the fulfilling unity of friendship as he faces the end of the world. “Strawberry Swings” can advocate for a platonic Valentine’s Day where friendship is the most comforting form of intimacy.

4. The lovers who want to prove themselves — “Everybody Here Wants You” by Jeff Buckley

This song speaks to a very specific form of affection. From his compilation album “Sketches For my Sweetheart The Drunk,” released posthumously, Buckley sings about the affection that comes from thinking your partner is almost too beautiful for you. He uses this insecurity not for pity, but as a request to prove how much his love prevails over any other. The lyric “And I know they all look so good from a distance / but I tell you I’m the one,” speaks to his unrelenting romance and exhausted tone.

5. The lovers who want to live as themselves — “As We Go Along” by The Monkees

Valentine’s Day may not be marketed as a holiday to be celebrated alone, but it can still be enjoyed without a partner. In this track included in the pivotal coming-of-age film “Ladybird,” The Monkees deliver “As We Go Along” as a letter to the listener. They tell the listener to break away from the mundanity and anxiety of life to embrace its spontaneity. To them, the greatest journey one can take doesn’t need to be with another, but only requires the optimism of a lone individual’s outlook on life. The line “Why think all about who’s gonna win out, we’ll make up our story as we go along” encapsulates the song perfectly as the guitar crescendos in a moment of pure motivational bliss.

6. The lovers who like to imagine — “Photograph” by Arcade Fire

“Photograph” is an instrumental track part of the soundtrack for Spike Jonze’s 2013 film “Her,” a film that acts as Jonze’s cinematic interpretation of his divorce from Sofia Coppola (her own cinematic interpretation being “Lost in Translation,” released in 2003). The Oscar-nominated score, which weaves through this exploration of love between an A.I. and Joaquin Phoenix’s character, is a piano-driven masterpiece. “Photography” functions as the perfect accompaniment to think about a loved one, as its sweeping piano is a perfect musical dilution of cumulative romantic fantasies.

7. The lovers who dance together — “Sativa” by Jhené Aiko feat. Swae Lee

Jhené Aiko and Swae Lee’s entrancing vocal combination in this sonically addictive track provides the perfect space for a sultry, slow dance. The lyrics are both self-assuring in the confidence that Jhené exudes and playful in its party setting. This is a song guaranteed to get stuck in other people’s heads if sung enough.

8. The lovers who are delicate — “Stay” by Rihanna (Covered by Cat Power)

Cat Power successfully covers the much-loved Rihanna song of the same name with a stripped-back rendition. With just a piano to accompany her, Power transforms Rihanna’s passion into a whisper of the most sacrilegious form of love. The piano rings in almost improvisational patterns that add a level of impermanence to the entire song. Some individuals prefer loud public declarations with big signs and music — others prefer a smile across a bustling room. This song is for the latter.

9. The lovers who know themselves — “Say Yes To Heaven” by Lana Del Rey

While Lana Del Rey and romance have evolved into a definitive genre of its own, “Say Yes To Heaven” exudes a different side of Lana. A grounded, gentle, and vulnerable Lana, fresh in the face of a new love, blooms amidst a field of her more tumultuous stories. In her 2023 single, she compares the notion of heaven to herself, establishing a romantic rhetoric that fights against love as something completely sacrifical.

10. The lovers who love unabashedly — “Be My Baby” by The Ronettes

In an age where relationships are ruled by superficial texting rules and arbitrary constraints, this 1963 classic pushes against all those orders. The lyrics guarantee a definitive confidence where your partner can see you for all the affection you embody. The trio sings, “I’ll make you happy, baby, just wait and see / For every kiss you give me, I’ll give you three.” In a landscape of bubbly instrumentals, “Be My Baby” forces an uncomplicated outburst of every facet of love from the listener. This is the marching song of Valentine’s Day.

MusicArts