Harvard’s Lauren Scruggs To Represent Team USA at 2024 Paris Olympics

A Harvard fencer competes at the 2020 Ivy League Championships. Junior foil Laure Scruggs has qualified to compete for Team USA at the 2024 Paris Olympics
A Harvard fencer competes at the 2020 Ivy League Championships. Junior foil Laure Scruggs has qualified to compete for Team USA at the 2024 Paris Olympics By Owen A. Berger
By Katharine Forst and Thomas Harris, Crimson Staff Writers

Junior foil Lauren Scruggs, a standout member of the Harvard women’s fencing team the past three seasons, has clinched a spot fencing for the U.S. National Team at the 2024 Olympics. Set to represent her home country in Paris, France this summer, the Queens, N.Y. native will hope to propel her team to the gold.

Head Coach Daria Schneider said in an interview with The Crimson during Scruggs’ freshman campaign that the fencer had the talent to lock down an Olympic bid.

But despite her coach’s unwavering confidence in her chances at competing in Paris, Scruggs said she was personally in disbelief.

“I’m in awe,” Scruggs said in an interview Wednesday. “I never really did believe that I could really go.”

“That was the goal, but I always thought I might not make it,” she added. “Honestly, I’m shocked. I still can’t believe that I qualified.”

Scruggs demonstrated her prowess well before matriculating into Harvard, clinching four Junior World Championship medals, one of which she did as the youngest fencer to ever win Junior Worlds. She has since continued to exhibit her talent as a collegiate fencer, quickly adding to her tally of victories.

Schneider previously told The Crimson that Scruggs is “the type of person that makes you sick of winning, because she makes you forget how hard it is.”

“She makes it look so easy, but in reality it’s so much harder than that,” Schneider said.

But Scruggs has worked diligently to achieve that level of effortlessness.

The junior first started competing at senior events three years ago, and embraced the challenge of battling against more mature opponents after her dominant run on the junior circuit.

Still, Scruggs readily admits that finding her footing on the larger stage wasn’t easy.

“Senior events are usually two day tournaments,” she said. “At first it was just about making the second day. Then, it was about consistently making it to the second day and trying to win my first bout.”

“Last year, it was about continuing the second day, and trying to win two games,” she added.

Her work at slowly chipping away during the events finally paid off last weekend. After coming back from her 12th place performance in Cairo, Egypt, Scruggs traveled to the nation’s capital to fence in the D.C. Foil Grand Prix.

Her superb performance resulted in Bronze — her first medal in a senior event — and was the catalyst that clinched her spot in the Paris Olympic games.

“It’s a testament to the progression that I’ve slowly just gotten a lot more consistent on the senior level. Scruggs said. “It’s a testament to just the hard work I've put in.”

During the Olympics-clinching podium match in D.C., Scruggs felt the electric energy of the U.S. crowd, a rallying factor she will look to draw on as she competes under her nation’s banner.

“I felt the energy during the podium match,” she said. “Luckily this tour was in America, so I had a lot of family and friends, but also American supporters because I represent the United States.”

Despite having already secured her spot on the USA team, Scruggs will continue fencing as she prepares for her matches this summer. This week she will accompany the Harvard squad as it travels to Columbus, Ohio, to compete in the NCAA Championships.

“I might even be more excited because [the tournament] is with the team. I never linger too long on achievements because they happen, but they’re in the past,” Scruggs said. “There’s always going to be a new tournament, so it’s important to compete with the same energy I brought to the last one.”

Scruggs will look to build on her momentum from D.C. while in Columbus. The foil will begin competing on Thursday, and depending on her performance, will continue battling for the title through Sunday.

—Staff writer Katharine Forst can be reached at katharine.forst@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Thomas Harris can be reached at thomas.harris@thecrimson.com.

FencingOlympicsFeatured Articles