‘Bright Future’ Album Review: A Record That Yearns for Past, Present, and, of Course, Future

4.5 Stars

"Bright Future" was released on March 22.
"Bright Future" was released on March 22. By Courtesy of Adrianne Lenker / 4AD
By Melina Fonseca, Contributing Writer

A sigh, melancholic piano, and uncomfortable shifting. “Real House,” the devastatingly vulnerable opening track, sets the tone for Adrianne Lenker’s latest solo album “Bright Future.” In the song, Lenker reminisces on the innocence of childhood and the bittersweet nostalgia of growing up, her lyrics reflecting the rawness of the song's production, with ambient noises that ebb and flow and a vague violin that deliberately doesn’t stick around for long. She sings “Do you remember the running? / The purity of the air around / Braiding willow branches into a crown / That love is all I want.” The emotion of this song permeates every note, resonating deeply with listeners and making it an incredibly strong open to this record.

“Bright Future” very evidently demonstrates the sincerity that Lenker has never shied away from. With each track, she tackles the human experience and unpredictability of love, employing poignant lyrics and emotive instrumentation. Every aspect of this album is done with profound intention — and it is palpable.

The second song, “Sadness As A Gift,” is just as honest and unsparing. It is introduced with a phenomenal instrumental mix of violin, guitar, and piano that fills the listener with overwhelming emotion. As the song continues, the lyrics capture the simultaneous insecurity and hope one feels while dealing with a breakup: “You could write me someday, and I think you will / We could see the sadness as a gift and still / Feel too heavy to hold.” This chorus is catchy yet gut-wrenching, reflecting the song’s themes.

“Fool” is more sonically charming — despite handling comparison and self-resentment, it doesn’t take itself too seriously. The track includes some funky distorting, playful background vocals, and airy breathing in the interlude. At one point Lenker sings “We could be friends,” but audibly laughs at the word “friends,” as though it just slipped out. “Fool” shows that Lenker can do good-natured tongue-in-cheek just as well as she does relentless sorrow.

“No Machine” is very consistent; the song doesn’t build and is quite swift. Its content in its lack of crescendo, similar to how the lyrics express her love for and perceived dependence on her partner. Lenker uses several motifs embedded in nature to express the entwined connection with her partner, making for a very lovely song.

“Free Treasure” is less self-centered, as Lenker openly recognizes her partner’s affection towards her. It’s a very gentle sound, composed only of an acoustic guitar and the vocals. Evident in the repeated lyrics, “Love without measure,” it’s a song about being present and feeling everything — even the small things — so profoundly when together.

Originally released in 2023 as a single by Lenker’s band Big Thief, “Vampire Empire” embodies a totally new sound in “Bright Future.” Hearing her solo interpretation of the song is fascinating as it offers a more production-driven and whimsical folk perspective. The Big Thief version definitely draws out more raw emotion; however, Lenker’s solo rendition still resonates with the added fidelity to the original lyrics from their Late Show Big Thief performance that strayed away from in the single’s release.

“Evol” is undoubtedly Lenker’s weakest example of lyricism on the record. While it has a beautiful violin and piano instrumental that stands well on its own, the composition of the lyrics falls short. Throughout the song, she names words and gives meaning to their backwards spelling, relating them to the betrayal she identifies with. Knowing what Lenker is capable of, this instrumental feels like a missed opportunity to truly delve into the emotional complexity she is attempting to relay with the only redeeming lyric in the song, “You have my heart I want it back.”

“Candleflame” explores a relationship with religion, backed by a warm plucking of a guitar and an out-of-tune violin that gives you goosebumps from both unease and raw emotion. Driven by the name, this track feels like sitting around a campfire: Lenker, Mat Davidson, and Josefin Runsteen’s voices melt together to create something intimate and inviting.

“Already Lost” has a heavy folk influence and feels different from the surrounding tracks. It is the only song on the album to incorporate a banjo, and it is one of two to use percussion. Sonically, it is a clear standout on the record. Lenker’s beautifully layered vocals paired with the sweet melody of the banjo create an incredibly tender sound.

While “Cell Phone Says” embodies the album’s concept in an obvious and consistent way, it feels like it’s missing something. The cadence of the lyrics are reminiscent of “Real House” and the guitar reflects “No Machine,” giving off the impression that it doesn’t quite find its own unique identity within the album. While it remains a great song, it is one of the less memorable amongst such a strong lineup.

“Donut Seam,” a play on the words “don’t it seem,” offers an introspective perspective on environmental lament. This track welcomes Nick Hakim, adding a hauntingly soulful dimension to Lenker’s looming fear of human extinction. Lenker and Hakim sing, “This whole world is dying / Don’t it seem like a good time for swimming / Before all the water disappears?” It captures a reflection on the urgency to appreciate the present before it’s too late.

The final track, “Ruined,” is stunning and scathing. This ballad about constant heartbreak and regret perfectly expresses the emotion of unguarded despair. A combination of Lenker’s voice and melancholic piano, it is completely stripped down with sentimentality. She sings “So much coming through, every hour too / Can’t get enough of you / You come around I’m ruined,” emulating unapologetic vulnerability. It’s honest, yet pained, providing a phenomenal finish to a knockout of an album.

“Bright Future” is undeniably a remarkable collection of songs, with stellar consistency that exudes authenticity from start to finish. The powerful instrumentation, sensitive vocals, and relentless realness invite the audience to linger in the moments that sting and does so in a way that feels comforting. The entire record feels incredibly thoughtful, making for a listening experience that flows in cohesiveness and cements its relevance for generations to come.

MusicArts