Beard Papa’s Review: A Tasty Treat in Boston

3.5 stars

A cream puff from Beard Papa's, Boston.
A cream puff from Beard Papa's, Boston. By Courtesy of Hannah E. Gadway
By Hannah E. Gadway, Crimson Staff Writer

Beard Papa’s, a cream puff-focused bakery, has returned to Boston at 232 Newbury Street, after several failed attempts over the past decade. The chain originated as a bakery in Osaka, Japan in 1999 and has since grown to include over 430 locations. The new Beard Papa’s location in Boston shares its retail space with the Teazzi tea shop, with a sister location in Boston’s Chinatown.

In anticipation of its grand opening on Feb. 24, Beard Papa’s ran an extensive social media campaign on Instagram that highlighted the aesthetic beauty of its cream puffs. The shop also promised special gifts to its first 100 customers. On opening day, patrons lined up outside the shop for over an hour before the doors opened. Throughout its first day of business, a line snaked down an entire block on Newbury Street. The business model of the store is Instagram-worthy — possibly contributing to the bakery’s early popularity — as the products are wrapped in bright yellow, branded packaging, allowing the cream puffs to arrive selfie-ready.

During its opening week, Beard Papa’s offered three varieties of its signature cream puff: original, matcha, and chocolate. The puff pastry base that forms the basis of these flavors boasts a crusty exterior and a spongy, bready interior. This unique take on the pastry dough itself is achieved with an original, choux-pie crust combination recipe. The cream puffs are generously stuffed with a thick, vanilla cream that is restrained yet flavorful. Each bite strikes the perfect balance between the treats’ flaky pastry and cool, creamy center. While the plain cream puff, dusted with fine white icing sugar, is delicious, the dipped varieties go a step further by adding a satisfying crunch to the exterior of the treat. The dark chocolate-coated cream puff snaps delightfully with the first bite, providing an especially welcome dimension of flavor with its subtle bitter notes.

While the menu is currently limited to these three options, the store’s Instagram page promises that additional flavors are soon to come, including Oreo and strawberry. Other locations of the chain offer additional treats such as mini cheesecakes. Until these additions are implemented at the Boston location, the shop’s current menu may disappoint some customers with its lack of variety.

While the quality of the cream puffs is undeniable, the space of the shop does not quite live up to the product’s prestige. The store’s decor features mirrors, stainless steel, and glass, giving the bakery quite a futuristic feeling. This aesthetic doesn’t mesh well with the classic image of a cream puff, normally reminiscent of homey, artisanal bakeries. The shop also has very few tables, and its limited seating is quite inaccessible, which may leave patrons feeling like they need to take their food elsewhere. Beard Papa’s may be a good place to pick up a treat for yourself or a loved one, but may not be the most welcoming study spot or community space.

Nevertheless, the cream puffs from Beard Papa’s are undoubtedly delicious. The store is a welcome sight in the post-pandemic Boston landscape, which has seen an increase in business and foot traffic. While the store lacks a certain visual charm, its core mission of providing high-quality cream puffs is fully underway.

—Staff writer Hannah E. Gadway can be reached at hannah.gadway@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCultureMetro Arts