WINTERACTIVE: A Canadian Art Experience in Downtown Boston

WINTERACTIVE is a free art installation which decorates the streets of Downtown Boston.
WINTERACTIVE is a free art installation which decorates the streets of Downtown Boston. By Emma A. Lucas
By Olga Kerameos, Contributing Writer

Until April 14, Boston residents and visitors will have the unique opportunity to look up at two massive inflatable clown heads and experience the warmth of a bonfire made out of lamps.

WINTERACTIVE is a free art installation which decorates the streets of Downtown Boston from January through April. It consists of 16 diverse art pieces created by several artists, forming a walkable path through the neighborhood that visitors can enjoy in the span of about 30 minutes.

Some of these art pieces are hidden in plain sight and take an observant pedestrian to notice. Where Summer Street meets Chauncy Street, right above one of Macy’s entrances, Mark Jenkins placed one of his five contributions to the exhibition: “Untitled #1 (Fisherman).” The hyperrealistic statue of a sitting man would easily go unnoticed if it weren’t for the hanging fishing hook with a red heart swaying in the strong winter winds.

The hyperrealistic statue of a sitting man could easily go unnoticed if it weren’t for the hanging fishing hook with a red heart swaying in the strong winter winds.
The hyperrealistic statue of a sitting man could easily go unnoticed if it weren’t for the hanging fishing hook with a red heart swaying in the strong winter winds. By Emma A. Lucas

Conversely, other installations are more easily noticeable. Mathias Gmachl’s mighty, colorful steel whale floats in front of the stairs on Washington Street and Franklin Street, inviting visitors to sit and contemplate the human effect on the natural environment. The sounds accompanying the exhibit share an important message, at which the piece’s name, “Echoes — A Voice from Uncharted Waters,” hints. Only when passersby maintain a safe distance from the whale are they greeted by melodic sounds. When they get too close, the melody transforms into noise pollution, symbolizing the transition from the natural to the industrial world as a result of human interference.

Mathias Gmachl’s mighty, colorful steel whale invites visitors to sit and contemplate the human effect on the natural environment.
Mathias Gmachl’s mighty, colorful steel whale invites visitors to sit and contemplate the human effect on the natural environment. By Emma A. Lucas

Maria M. Aleman, who has lived in Boston for 44 years, finds WINTERACTIVE enjoyable in the dismal Boston winter.

“We didn’t have enough snow here in Boston like we used to, and I feel happy when I touch it,” Aleman said.

The exhibit’s name and concept were inspired by winter art experiences in Canada. The Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, a private nonprofit organization that advocates for the neighborhood’s civic and financial development, wanted to replicate the vibrant winter festivities that the Quebec province hosts.

What makes WINTERACTIVE special is its interactivity. Its pieces were designed to come into contact with the people who stumble upon them.
What makes WINTERACTIVE special is its interactivity. Its pieces were designed to come into contact with the people who stumble upon them. By Emma A. Lucas

What makes WINTERACTIVE special is its interactivity. Its pieces were designed to come into contact with the people who stumble upon them. For example, “Light Lane Bikes,” one of the five pieces designed by LeMonde Studio, is an installation that includes four bikes that produce sound when ridden. If you pick the right one, you might get to hear Boston’s anthem.

These exhibits don’t only serve the purpose of adding light and music to Boston’s Downtown Center. They are also a learning tool and inspiration for Boston’s academic community.

David Kelleher teaches a media arts class on emerging media at Emerson College and walked over to the Max Streicher’s “Endgame (Nagg & Nell)” exhibit to take pictures for his class.

“We have been talking about art installations, so I wanted to make sure that [the students] knew about it.” Kelleher said. “People are not always paying attention to what is around them, so if they happen to look up, that can be a little bit of a surprise — a good one.”

Kathryn E. Nicosia is a local student who saw the “Endgame (Nagg & Nell)” exhibit online and sought it out with a friend.

“I think it definitely adds character and probably will attract a lot more people to this area,” Nicosia said.
Whether as a means of distraction from the cold winter or as a celebration, WINTERACTIVE promises to inspire visitors to bundle up, drink a warm beverage, and walk around the buzzing Downtown district.

ArtsCultureMetro Arts