Shows to Binge-Watch in the Warmer Seasons

Lola Tung (Belly) and Gavin Casalegno (Jeremiah) on the beach in season one of "The Summer I Turned Pretty."
Lola Tung (Belly) and Gavin Casalegno (Jeremiah) on the beach in season one of "The Summer I Turned Pretty." By Courtesy of Dana Hawley/Prime Video
By Kinnereth S. Din, Contributing Writer

As the sun finally makes its spring debut and summer waits just over the horizon, many of us will make good use of the warmth and fresh air. However, there will inevitably be days when the UV index is a little too high or when sunburns need to be nursed — when you need a break from the summer sun, the following shows are guaranteed to brighten your summer and merit a feature at your next backyard watch party!

“The Summer I Turned Pretty”

Are you a fan of love triangles? Drama? Teen Romance? If that sounds like the perfect break from the pool, then “The Summer I Turned Pretty” is for you. Based on the novels by Jenny Han, the show follows the main character Belly as she visits her family friends’ summer house in Cousins Beach and is eventually caught in a love triangle between her longtime crush, Conrad, and his previously friend-zoned brother, Jeremiah. If that plot line wasn’t messy enough, Belly must also navigate new friendships while maintaining old ones, along with testy parental relationships, and a fast-approaching debutante ball. This cheesy coming-of-age rom-com is chock-full of the best and breeziest summer vibes.

“Outer Banks”

If teen action and adventure is more your speed, then “Outer Banks” is perfect for you. This Netflix teen drama was the summer show of the pandemic, set in North Carolina and following the stories of two groups of teenagers — the wealthy socialite “Kooks” and the blue-collar “Pogues.” Conflict ensues as the Pogues, in search of their leader John B’s father, stumble upon a contentious treasure. The Pogues must solve the mystery of the lost treasure whilst staving off their competitors and navigating romance, friendship, and rivalry. Entertaining, emotional, and intriguing, “Outer Banks” does not fail to captivate its audience. If your summer is in need of a dash of the exciting, then “Outer Banks” provides all that and more.

“Bridgerton”

Does spring remind you of new love? Do the blooming flowers suggest a possible analogy for blooming romance? Are you just in the mood for a period drama with big dresses and bigger scandals? Then Shondaland’s “Bridgerton” may just be the summer watch that checks every box. The drama takes place in early 1800s Regency London, and follows the Bridgerton noble family as various siblings make their social debut. Each season follows the romance of a different Bridgerton sibling, rife with passion, betrayals, and every trope in between. If your own spring storyline is lacking a little gossip, then take a trip back in time to the world of “Bridgerton.”

“Phineas and Ferb”

It’s difficult to think of summer and not think of ones’ childhood summer — specifically, that of early 2000s childhood. If summer vacation doesn’t feel the same anymore or you find yourself nostalgic for simpler times, then turn to the tried-and-true “Phineas and Ferb.” The award-winning children’s show follows brothers Phineas and Ferb as they plot to make the most of their summer vacation through extravagant and imaginative inventions. In this mission, Phineas and Ferb are joined by supportive friends, opposed by a very determined older sister, and encounter a cast of wacky townsfolk. The creative series is a humorous, clever, and heartwarming adventure through an endless summer. Don’t miss the best side plot ever, involving an undercover platypus and the eccentric Dr. Doofenshmirtz. If you’ve ever wondered what can be accomplished in the “104 days of summer vacation,” “Phineas and Ferb” has the answers for you.

“Stranger Things”

There are some shows that simply embody summer; they seem to get everyone and their mother talking and are good enough for long binge-watches on summer vacations. “Stranger Things” very much falls within this category. Debuting in 2016, the science-fiction-horror-drama-adventure takes place in the small midwestern town of Hawkins in the 1980s, where a laboratory conducts experiments on the paranormal and creates a portal to an alternate dimension known as the Upside Down. The show follows a group of friends as they encounter and battle the supernatural, aided by escaped lab subject Eleven, a young girl with strange powers of her own. “Stranger Things” has won multiple awards for its incredible storytelling, characters, and direction. Don’t be the odd one out and take this summer to see the hit sensation yourself.

ArtsTV