My Top Ten A24 Films, in No Particular Order

By Najya S. Gause, Crimson Staff Writer

In the world of cinema, few production companies have managed to carve out a niche as distinct and influential as A24. Known for their daring storytelling and unique artistic visions, A24 films have become synonymous with innovation and emotional depth. Here are my top ten A24 films that have left an indelible mark on my heart and mind.

“Stop Making Sense” (2023)

Dir. by Jonathan Demme

Jonathan Demme’s concert film captures the energy and eccentricity of the Talking Heads at their peak. The concert itself is a piece of art, with each band member joining David Byrne on stage one by one — forcing the viewer to hold their breaths as they await an explosion of art-rock brilliance. “Stop Making Sense” is not just a film about a band. It’s a film about music, about sound, about energy. It celebrates creativity, rhythm, and that beautiful night in December of 1983.

“The Whale” (2022)

Dir. by Darren Aronofsky

Brendan Fraser delivers a career-defining performance in Darren Aronofsky’s “The Whale.” The film tells the story of a reclusive English teacher struggling with both obesity and life as a whole. Viewers will experience heart-wrenching emotional pain as Charlie attempts to reconnect with the daughter he abandoned, played by Sadie Sink. Based on the acclaimed play of the same name by Samuel D. Hunter, “The Whale” is a powerful exploration of redemption and human connection.

“Mid90s” (2018)

Dir. by Jonah Hill

Jonah Hill's directorial debut recalls the skateboarding culture of the ’90s. Set in Los Angeles, “Mid90s” follows 13-year-old Stevie as he navigates both the joys and horrors of growing up. The film captures the essence of youth and the search for belonging with a poignant and unfiltered lens. Hill’s storytelling is raw and intimate; viewers might find themselves imagining Ray, Fuckshit, Fourth Grade, and Ruben to be their very own crew. The film's gritty aesthetic makes “Mid90s” a heartfelt hymn to friendship, self-discovery, and the timeless allure of skate culture.

“Ex Machina” (2015)

Dir. by Alex Garland

Alex Garland’s “Ex Machina” is a thought-provoking sci-fi thriller that explores the ethical implications of artificial intelligence. The film follows a young programmer who is invited to administer tests on a beautiful advanced humanoid robot, Ava, asking questions about love, science, consciousness, and the future. With artificial intelligence becoming more intertwined with our lives, the visually stunning “Ex Machina” will send chills down your spine as you watch the lines between creator and creation begin to blur. The perfect mix of emotion and fear, this film is the type you never forget.

“Past Lives” (2023)

Dir. by Celine Song

This film hurts to watch. Two South-Korean childhood friends are separated when one’s family emigrates to Canada — only to be reunited for one fateful week in New York, two decades later. The two grapple with destiny, love, loss, and friendship as they make decisions and choices that will change the course of their lives forever. Written and directed by Celine Song, “Past Lives” is a beautiful ode to all the things, people, and places that make us who we are.

“Moonlight” (2016)

Dir. by Barry Jenkins

“Moonlight,” directed by Barry Jenkins, is a poetic and profound exploration of identity, sexuality, and the human experience. The film unfolds in three acts, each capturing a different stage in the life of Chiron, a young African American man grappling with his place in the world. “Moonlight” is as tender as it is powerful, sure to resonate with anyone who watches its graceful and emotionally charged cinematography. This is love. This is pain. This is life — prepare to be moved.

“Minari” (2021)

Dir. by Lee Isaac Chung

Grass. Sky. Family. This is the American Dream for the Korean-American Yi family in Lee Isaac Chung’s “Minari.” The film beautifully captures the complexities of family dynamics, cultural identity, and the pursuit of a better life. Emile Mosseri’s moving soundtrack brings each scene to new heights, with songs like “Jacob and the Stone” and “Jacob’s Prayer” evoking tender and tangled feelings from anyone who hears them. Watch this film to see the magic that can happen on a small farm in Arkansas — and poignantly reflect on the immigrant experience in America.

“Lady Bird” (2017)

Dir. by Greta Gerwig

Greta Gerwig’s directorial debut, “Lady Bird,” is a touching coming-of-age story which follows Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson and her mother as she finishes her senior year of high school. This is a film about choices: to stay or to leave, to forgive or to forget. It’s a testament to the boundless creativity of storytelling, and the unbreakable bonds that make life worth living. “Lady Bird” is a love letter to adolescence, capturing the bittersweet moments of growing up with humor, warmth, and authenticity.

“Everything Everywhere All At Once” (2022)

Dir. by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert

Directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, this mind-bending film takes audiences on a wild ride through the multiverse. Starring Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan as the married owners of a laundromat, “Everything Everywhere All At Once” examines concepts of space and time through the lens of a wife, a mother, a lover, a friend. With kaleidoscopic visuals and breath-taking action, the film explores humor, heart, and the infinite possibilities of existence as characters discover they have the power to access alternate versions of themselves. Read more about why I — and the world — loved “Everything Everywhere All At Once” here.

“Waves” (2019)

Dir. by Trey Edward Shults

Directed by Trey Edward Shults and released in 2019, “Waves” will pull at all of your heartstrings. The film follows an African-American family living in the suburbs as they learn what life is truly about — forgiveness, family, growing up, love, and loss. Not only is the cinematography gorgeous, but the soundtrack is unbeatable. Masterpieces such as “LVL” by A$AP Rocky, “Seigfried” by Frank Ocean, and “Backseat Freestyle” by Kendrick Lamar will grace your ears as you reflect on what it means to be human, flaws and all. This film will change you.

—Staff writer Najya S. Gause can be reached at najya.gause@thecrimson.com.

FilmArts