Athlete of the Week: Lewis Zerter-Gossage

Published by Kostas Tingos on November 21, 2018 at 6:42PM

After a slow start to the 2018-2019 campaign, the Harvard men’s ice hockey team gained some momentum this weekend when it hosted No. 18 Arizona State for a two-game slate. Much of this success can be traced back to co-captain and forward Lewis Zerter-Gossage.

The Montreal, Que., native earned ECAC Hockey Player of the Week honors for his efforts against the Sun Devils. He tallied four points on the weekend, which included three goals and an assist. This puts the captain at a team-leading five goals for the season up through this point.

On Friday night, Zerter-Gossage’s assist and goal helped the Crimson secure a 4-1 victory. In the second period, after Arizona State had cut Harvard’s lead to one, a slashing penalty put the Crimson on the man advantage. An assist by Zerter-Gossage allowed freshman forward Jack Drury to restore Harvard’s two-goal lead less than 40 seconds into the power play.

With less than four minutes remaining in the third period, the captain put the game out of reach. Seconds after killing off a hooking penalty, junior defenseman Adam Fox sprung Zerter-Gossage free with a stretch pass. On the breakaway, he went with a backhand shot and lifted the puck into the top corner to secure the win.

The following day, Zerter-Gossage turned in another strong performance at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center. His first period power play goal gave the Crimson an early lead. At 4:22 of the frame, Zerter-Gossage backhanded the puck off a Sun Devil player and into the back of the net.

The game was knotted at 1-1 when he struck again in the waning seconds of the middle period. Co-captain and forward Michael Floodstrand flicked the puck to the front of the net at a narrow angle, and Zerter-Gossage was there to tuck in the rebound, putting Harvard up 2-1.

Despite the captain’s heroics and the fact that the Crimson outshot Arizona State 42-25, the Sun Devils came out on top with a 3-2 overtime victory. This is Harvard’s fourth overtime game of the season, and they have failed to win in all four (0-2-2).

Zerter-Gossage will need to continue his sharp play if the team hopes to earn some points against No. 15 Cornell next Saturday. The Crimson will travel to the Big Apple to take on the Big Red at Madison Square Garden in this highly anticipated matchup.

Athlete of the Week: Hunter Ladnier

Published by Tahmid Ahmed on November 13, 2018 at 8:50PM

Junior Hunter Ladnier performed admirably at the Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open, where he tied for fourth overall in the wrestling team’s first event of the season. The 157-pounder was Harvard’s top point-scorer at the event.

In his first match of the event, Ladnier was pinned by Lehigh’s Josh Humphreys. However, Ladnier would not let this loss affect him as he won his next five matches. His second match was against Lehigh’s Brian Meyer. To avenge his first loss against a Mountain Hawks wrestler, Ladnier won by decision with a final tally of 7-2.

Ladnier would later beat Quentin Hovis of Navy. In this match, Ladnier won unanimously 2-0. Ladnier then faced Penn State’s Bo Piper. Ladnier would easily win again, defeating Piper with a final decision of 8-1.

In his fifth match of the event, however, Ladnier faced his own teammate, Aaron Kruk ’20. Ladnier outscored Kruk by a numerous 16 points, winning by technical foul.

Ladnier’s rebound after his first loss added great momentum to his level of play. Ladnier’s four-match winning streak pushed him to the consolation semifinals, where he was set off to face probably his toughest opponent, Cornell’s Adam Santoro.

The two fought for a long time, each scoring a great number of points. Ultimately, Ladnier emerged victorious via major decision with a final score of 19-10. Ladnier eventually los to Navy’s Zachary Ervin in the third-place match. Thus, Ladnier settled for fourth place in a tie.

Ladnier, who is ranked 37th according to WrestleStat, plans to have even a better season than last year. Last season, Ladnier finished with a record of 18-12, with a win percentage of 60%. This time around, Ladnier has started the season strong and hopes to continue his success in the next events. With fresh faces at Harvard and upperclassmen returning stronger than before, Harvard hopes to improve its No. 56 national ranking and capture the Ivy League Championship.

Wrestling is scheduled to compete in the Keystone Classic in Philadelphia, Pa., on November 18.

Athlete of the Week: Tom Stewart

Published by Lev Cohen on November 06, 2018 at 11:58PM

Until less than a month ago, senior quarterback Tom Stewart was not even starting for Harvard. A mere four weeks later, he has etched his name into the Crimson’s record books after turning in a five-touchdown performance this past Saturday in a 52-18 win over Columbia. The Dallas native overcame inclement conditions to tie the touchdown record set in 1953 by Carroll Lowenstein ’54 and matched in 2011 by Collier Winters ’12 and Colton Chapple ’13.

It was apt that Stewart’s best performance came on senior day. He managed to throw for an astounding 393 yards despite completing just 15 passes. Among those completions were the three longest touchdown passes in program history: a beautiful 92-yard strike to junior receiver Jack Cook on the first play of the game, a 75-yard pass under pressure to sophomore receiver Tyler Adams, and a 74-yard lofted pass to sophomore running back Aaron Shampklin.

All three touchdowns came during Harvard’s dominant opening quarter, after which Stewart had already racked up 251 yards passing. The Texan later slung two touchdown passes to fellow senior Henry Taylor, who racked up 105 receiving yards in addition to the two scores.

Stewart had tallied 342 passing yards by halftime and had a chance to target the all-time mark of 448 (Chapple, 2011), but the wind put a damper on the passing game after the break. Nevertheless, the senior signal caller looked comfortable and confident throughout for the Crimson.

Stewart’s commanding performance came after back-to-back weeks in which Harvard (4-4, 2-3 Ivy League) lost close games to nationally ranked Ivy League stalwarts Princeton (8-0, 5-0) and Dartmouth (7-1, 4-1). In seven games (four starts), the Crimson quarterback has now thrown for 11 touchdowns without a single interception.

The senior is making his chance to quarterback Harvard count. He had thrown just 51 career passes before this season, all of which came in his sophomore season.

The Lions (1-4, 4-4) improved after being blitzed in the first quarter, but they were never able to make a dent in the deficit, as the Crimson scored at least a touchdown in each quarter to stay comfortably ahead. In the end, Harvard racked up 496 yards of total offense en route to just its second victory since Sept. 21st.

It would be very tough for Stewart to top his senior day performance, but he will look to maintain his exceptional play and the Crimson’s winning ways at Penn (3-2, 6-2) on Saturday and then against Yale (3-2, 5-3) at Fenway Park. With consecutive wins, Harvard would finish back above .500 after a rare 5-5 season in 2017.

Tuntivate Wins Ivy Heps, Guides Men's Cross Country to Second Place

Published by Matthew Mu on November 05, 2018 at 9:12PM

With the blink of an eye, junior Kieran Tuntivate raced past the finish line, inching out the Tigers’ Conor Lundy for a first-place finish at the Ivy League Heptagonal Cross Country Championship. The annual Ivy League Championships took place at Princeton’s West Windsor Fields on Oct. 27. With gray skies and a recent rainstorm leaving the course muddy and perilous for all the runners, the Ancient Eight nevertheless had its teams line up for the momentous race.

With of time of 24:30.2 in the 8,000 meter race and an average mile pace of 4:55.7, Tuntivate became the first men’s champion since Maksim Korolev ’14 won in 2013. In addition to his spectacular finish, sophomore Hugo Milner also found himself in the top three finishers with a time of 24:32.3, slotting himself within a pack of four Princeton runners.

After taking a season off last year and travelling to Thailand to both train and compete, Tuntivate returned this season ready to help Harvard break past its competition. As a freshman, he logged times of 25:38, 26:04, and 27:10.4, the latter of which placed him 77th in the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships in 2015. His sophomore season, Tuntivate placed 18th at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships, running a time of 24:16.8. Overall, his best finish of the season was at the Harvard-Yale-Princeton meet with a 10th-place finish, and his fastest time of came at the Paul Short Meet where he ran an astounding 24:13.3.

This year, Tuntivate led Harvard to a second place finish in the Ivy League Heptagonal Championship, the best finish the men's team has seen since 1976. With the NCAA Northeast Regional and National Championship meets coming on Nov. 9 and 17, Harvard should feel confident, yet with room to improve.

Men's and Women's Soccer Host Columbia for Senior Day

Published by Mahtab Shihab on November 03, 2018 at 6:40PM
Final Push

Women's soccer sits at 3-2-1 in the Ivy League, tied for fourth with Dartmouth.

Seniors across Harvard’s soccer program will be celebrated this weekend when the men’s and women’s sides both play Columbia in their last games at Jordan Field this season. The women’s team will play at 1 p.m. on Saturday while the men’s team will play at 7 p.m. later that day.

The men’s team (3-11, 1-4 Ivy) looks to close out its season on a high note. Having lost its last six games, a span in which it has been outscored 12-2, the Crimson will need to improve its offense. Playing at Jordan Field this weekend could reignite its scoring attack as all the team’s victories this season have come at home. Harvard has a winning record in Cambridge with victories against competitive teams such as Providence (9-6-2) and Yale (6-5-3).

Getting top scorers involved in the offense from the beginning of the game will be integral to a Crimson win this Saturday. Freshman Alfred Perez leads the team in scoring with three goals and has been a crucial part of the offense during Harvard’s victories. He was able to score the lone goal in the Crimson’s 1-0 win over the Bulldogs.

Another key factor in this upset bid will be Harvard’s distribution of the ball. The Crimson has only had eight assists this season and only one assist during conference play. The ball will have to move around more in order to combat the Lions defense, which has only let up 10 goals this season.

Columbia (9-4-1, 4-1) has won its last four games and has momentum coming off a 4-0 thrashing of Hofstra this past Tuesday. Having been a consistently strong team in recent history, a victory this Saturday will make it four straight seasons with at least 10 wins for the Lions.

Stopping Columbia’s potent attack will be critical if Harvard wants to prevent its seventh consecutive loss. The Lions have scored 22 goals and 19 assists this season and are averaging 12.3 shots per game. Keeping their top scorers, Dylan Mott and Kynan Rocks, in check, will be a decisive factor in this game.

With a more fluid offensive game plan and stout defense, Harvard has the potential to give its seniors a spectacular senior night that ends with an upset victory. A win against Columbia puts the Crimson in great position to beat Penn in its last game of the season.

The women’s team also looks to give its seniors a farewell treat. The Crimson (6-7-1, 3-2-1) can finish as high as second in the Ivy League with a win over the Lions.

In order to come out of Saturday with a win, Harvard will have to continue to glean valuable contributions from both its veterans and its underclassmen. Senior Leah Mohammadi leads the team with seven goals and 16 points and has been able to perform under pressure during the team’s tight games. In the Crimson’s 3-2 thriller comeback victory over Brown, the California native showed her poise and experience with a goal and an assist in the second half.

In the last two seasons, this game has gone to extra minutes, with last year’s match ending in a scoreless draw. Mohammadi’s veteran leadership will be of utmost importance during these types of clutch circumstances.

Freshmen Sophie Hirst and Taylor Nielsen have also been key offensive contributors for the Crimson with three goals apiece this season. Hirst has already been selected as Ivy League Player of the Week in her young career. In what looks to be a competitive game, having these underclassmen at their best will be critical to a Crimson victory.

The Lions (8-6-1, 4-2) are fresh off back-to-back Ivy League victories and are looking to continue their momentum in Cambridge as they are also looking to secure the second place spot in the Ancient Eight. Considering they only need a draw to finish second, look for Columbia to try to score early and play a defensive game. The Harvard offense needs to attack aggressively so that the Lions cannot simply play keep away the entire game. Furthermore, the Crimson defense will have to step up to stifle the slew of weapons Columbia has on the offensive weapons, as the Lions have had ten players who have scored this season.

Harvard’s women’s side will certainly contend with a hard-fought game this weekend, but with the talent the team has at its disposal, the Crimson can bring home a second-place finish in the Ivy League in what will be the seniors’ final game of their careers.