BRIEF: Softball Eliminated from NCAA Regionals

Published by Jack Stockless on May 21, 2018 at 1:29PM

This weekend, Harvard softball traveled to Athens, Ga., to participate in NCAA Regionals after winning the Ivy League Championship Series over Dartmouth. The Crimson’s playoff trip was its first since 2012, when it ultimately lost to Washington, 4-0, in the final round of the regional.

CALIFORNIA 10, HARVARD 1 (5 INNINGS)

With Northwestern winning its first game over California, the Crimson (23-18, 14-7 Ivy) and the Golden Bears (35-21, 7-16 Pac-12) met for an elimination game on Saturday afternoon. California maintained a balanced attack all game, scoring two runs in each inning to cut the game short after five innings and advance to the next contest.

Golden Bears pitcher Kamalani Dung was the difference-maker, as she pitched all five innings, gave up two hits, and struck out nine batters. Dung spun a perfect game with 12 strikeouts earlier this season against UTEP.

One of the two hits against Dung was a rocket, however. Junior co-captain Kaitlyn Schiffhauer launched a high fly ball to right center in the third inning, just missing a home run by a matter of feet. Junior shortstop Rhianna Rich followed with a bloop single that dropped in behind second baseman Lindsay Rood, which allowed Schiffhauer to race home with Harvard’s lone run of the game.

After pitching an inning of scoreless relief in the team’s opening game, junior Sarah Smith got the start in its second bout. Smith tossed 1.2 innings and lost just her second game of the season.

Eight different California batters recorded hits against Harvard’s staff. Three of these hits went for extra bases, with freshman left fielder Mikayla Coelho smacking a two-run homer in the top of the first to kick off the scoring.

GEORGIA 6, HARVARD 2

No. 7 Georgia (45-11, 16-8 SEC) represented the highest-ranked team Harvard would play all season. The Crimson held its own through seven innings of play but ultimately did not manage to mount much of an offensive attack against the Bulldogs’ pitching.

Georgia jumped on the board with three runs in the bottom of the first, which would prove to be all the offense it would need for the afternoon. Sophomore second baseman Justice Milz provided some early pop, knocking a home run over the center field wall in her first at-bat.

Harvard quickly answered with two runs of its own in the top of the third. With runners on the corners and two outs, junior third baseman Erin Lockhart laced a triple to right center, scoring co-captains Schiffhauer and Maddy Kaplan.

However, the Bulldogs did not relent, adding another run in their own half of the third and two more in the bottom of the fifth. Their pair of fifth-inning tallies came courtesy of RBI doubles off the bats of sophomore third baseman Jordan Doggett and senior left fielder Cortni Emanuel.

Harvard junior southpaw Katie Duncan got the start in the circle, and she went five innings. Despite allowing 14 combined hits and walks, Duncan buckled down and only allowed six Georgia baserunners to score. Her Bulldogs counterpart Mary Wilson Avant likewise threw five frames, though she did not concede an earned run and struck out eight Crimson.

—Staff writer Jack Stockless can be reached at jack.stockless@thecrimson.com.

Men's Basketball Will Face UNC Tar Heels in Upcoming 2018-2019 Season

Published by Henry Zhu on March 30, 2018 at 5:21PM
Steve

Co-captain Steve Moundou-Missi had six points and five rebounds in 38 minutes of play in the loss.

Harvard men’s basketball will travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., in the upcoming 2018-2019 season to play the University of North Carolina Tar Heels, according to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.

This will be the second time in the past four years that Harvard coach Tommy Amaker will square off against UNC’s Roy Williams. The two teams last met in the Second Round of the 2015 NCAA Tournament, where the Tar Heels narrowly edged out the Crimson 67-65. In that contest, senior guard Wesley Saunders notched 26 points and junior guard Siyani Chambers drained a late-game three to put Harvard ahead by one heading into the final minute of action.

However, then-freshman Justin Jackson of No.4 UNC ended No.13 Harvard’s hopes at an upset, knocking down a jumper and fast-break layup to survive its opening-game scare.

The Crimson is no stranger to playing nationally-ranked programs on its home court, having challenged then-No. 5 Kentucky on Dec. 5 this past season and then-No. 1 Kansas in 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Despite staying competitive in contests against larger-conference opponents this season, Harvard was unable to earn a victory against teams such as Minnesota, Saint Mary’s, and Kentucky this season.

As to the full 2018-2019 season schedule, Crimson supporters will need to wait until the summer to make plans. If abiding by past precedent, August will be earliest the official schedule is confirmed.

Harvard will return its current talented sophomore class, including AP All-American honorable mention winner Seth Towns, as it seeks to return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since that 2015 matchup against UNC.

Additionally, the Crimson will welcome a 2018 recruiting class led by ESPN four-star guard Spencer Freedman. Ontario native Noah Kirkwood will also reunite with fellow Canada U19 teammate and current Harvard freshman Danilo Djuricic, joining St. Louis native Kale Catchings and Californian Mason Forbes to round out Amaker’s 2018 recruits.

Wrestler Josef Johnson Ends Distinguished Career at NCAA Championships

Published by Eliel Ig-Izevbekhai on March 19, 2018 at 1:35AM

While this weekend marked the official end of the wrestling season with the NCAA championships last weekend, it also marked the end of a distinguished career for one of Harvard’s very own. The Crimson’s lone competitor in the championships, senior captain Josef Johnson, capped off his wrestling career at Quicken Loans Arena after a fifth-place finish in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships earned him a trip to the Cleveland, Ohio tournament to compete in the 174-pound class.

Johnson’s outstanding run came to an end in the consolation round of eight in the championships as he fell to senior David Kocer of South Dakota State. The loss came after a close matchup with the No. 14 ranked wrestler in the nation, Oklahoma senior Yoanse Mejias, in the round of 16. After Mejias tied in the third period, Johnson came back with the win in sudden victory to advance to the round of eight before falling by major decision in the subsequent round.

Johnson started the tournament with a tough matchup against the No. 4 ranked wrestler, junior Jordan Kutler of Lehigh. A close battle throughout the entire match ultimately resulted in a 2-0 decision in favor of Kutler with Johnson going scoreless in all three periods.

In Johnson’s first consolation round, the Piscataway, N.J., native took down sophomore Joseph Gunther of Iowa, resulting in a 3-1 decision in favor of Johnson. Gunther took the early lead with a quick escape to go up 1-0 before Johnson later tied heading into the third period. Johnson was dominant in the frame, registering a takedown and holding Gunther scoreless for the period.

In no way was Johnson new to success in the NCAA tournament. This year’s appearance marked his third in as many years. In his freshman season, he earned the Harvard wrestling team’s "Most Promising Freshman Award." In his sophomore campaign, he won a total of 17 matches and another team award, this time for most improved wrestler. His performances earned him NCAA qualifications for the first time as well.

Junior year showed even more improvement. Johnson posted a 30-13 record en route to another NCAA tournament appearance. He earned his captain title as well. Johnson’s senior year brought more of the same with a 29-13 record as well as two COOP student-athlete of the week honors.

Johnson finishes his career 92-56 record overall. Coach Jay Weiss praised Johnson for his contributions to the team throughout his four years.

"He's done everything the right way since he stepped on campus, and has made his mark on the program with leaderships, work ethic, and friendship," Weiss said. "I am extremely proud of everything he has done for the Harvard wrestling program."

Dahlke and Leung Represent Women's Swimming and Diving at NCAAs

Published by Leon K. Yang on March 19, 2018 at 12:16AM

At this year’s NCAA Championships, two members of the Harvard women’s swimming and diving team brought their talents to the national stage. Sophomore Miki Dahlke and senior Jing Leung competed in the meet in Columbus, Ohio, which stretched for four days starting on March 14.

On day two of the championship meet, Dahlke raced in the preliminaries for the 100-yard fly and 200-yard freestyle. In the 100-yard fly, she finished in 21st with a time of 52.35, and in the 200-yard freestyle, she touched the wall in 1:48.00. In the 100-yard freestyle, Dahlke finished in 48.87.

This year’s performance marked Dahlke’s second trip to the NCAA Championships. She competed in the 50-yard, 100-yard, and 200-yard freestyle last year.

Dahlke’s championship run comes after impressive swims in the Ivy League Championships. The Mill Valley, Calif., native set records in the 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard freestyle, and 100-yard butterfly and was ultimately crowned the the Ivy League High Point Swimmer of the Meet and also received All-Ivy Fi

Leung competed in platform diving on Saturday. She accumulated 217.85 points in the preliminaries. The senior entered the championship meet after capturing first place at the NCAA Zone A Diving Championships with a score of 514.85. This was her third appearance at the NCAA Championships. At the Ivy League Championships, she was also named the Ron Keenhold Career High Point Diver.

—Staff writer Leon K. Yang can be reached at leon.yang@thecrimson.com.

Angela Ruggiero '04 Steps Down as Chair of IOC Athletes Commission

Published by Ronni Cuccia on March 17, 2018 at 5:06PM
The Rink that Ruggiero Built

Angela Ruggiero played here at Bright-Landry Hockey Rink for four years, graduating in 2004.

In late February, Angela Ruggiero ‘04a former Harvard ice hockey playerstepped down from her position on the International Olympic Committee Athlete’s Commission. The IOC is a group that represents all Olympic athletes across the world. She served on the IOC for eight years and before that played in four Olympic Games, winning a gold medal in 1998, two silvers in 2002 and 2010, and a bronze in 2006. She is also the all-time leader in games played for men or womens’ United States Ice Hockey. Ruggiero is considered one of the greatest female hockey players of all time and also one of the best Harvard Hockey players in history.

Angela Ruggiero ranks sixth in all-time career points at Harvard with 96 goals and 157 assists, for a total of 253 points. Ruggiero also won the Patty Kazmaier Award in 2004, which is given to the top player in U.S. women’s collegiate hockey. During her time at Harvard, the Crimson had a 109-13-5 record. In 2015, she was inducted in the Hockey Hall of fame, only the fourth women ever to receive that honor.

Ruggiero was elected to the International Olympic Committee Athletes’ Commission in 2010. A few of the projects she has helped with while on the IOC include keeping the Winter Youth Olympic Games Lillehammer 2016 on track, advocating for women in the sports world, and also bringing the Olympics to Los Angeles- her hometown- in 2028. Another part of her role on the IOC includes giving out Olympic gold medals. Ruggiero placed the medals around the necks of the US Women’s soccer team in 2012, the US women’s basketball team in 2016, and on the US women’s hockey team about a month ago. Even though Ruggiero will no longer be on the International Olympic Committee she still plans to stay involved in the workings of the Olympics. Ruggiero is still on the ethics commission, the digital technology commission, the Beijing 2022 commission, and on the Olympic Channel board of directors.