Playing Devil's Advocate

By Reshini Premaratne

We The Women

Every night back on campus, usually after dark, when I find myself departing some study spot on the river to walk back to my house in the Quad, I invariably hear someone say: “Are you sure you want to walk back alone? You know, as a woman…”

Read more »

What the Social Scene at Harvard Could Be

Male final clubs are one of the oldest, most recognizable, persistent staples of Harvard’s social culture. Their parties — held in decadent houses lining Mt. Auburn St with girls spilling out the front door as they queue to join the DJ-led, alcohol-infused, dimly-lit happenings inside, amongst the Picasso paintings, taxidermied animals, and signatures of famous alumni decorating the walls — are not just the fodder of many a dining hall conversation, but also contribute substantially to the depiction of our college in movies like “The Social Network."

Read more »

When Washing Hands Isn’t Enough

About three weeks ago, I was in Austria, teasing my friend, Jocelyn, for wearing gloves and a mask to the Viennese opera. I was feeling confident that my study abroad program at the University of Cambridge would not get canceled. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I realize I could not have miscalculated more. I have been relegated to self-isolation in my suburban home of Glen Allen, Virginia; Cambridge indeed moved its next term online; and I don’t anticipate leaving the confines of the rudimentary routine I have established for the foreseeable future.

Read more »

Speaking Up for the Snake

According to Crimson surveys, more than a third of the Harvard College Classes of 2017, 2018, and 2019 entered the consulting or financial services sectors of the workforce post-graduation. Yet, the overwhelming narrative of these professions — “snake” professions as they’re called — remarks on the selfish, gross, capitalistic nature of consulting and finance.

Read more »

Don’t Be So Quick to Say #MeToo to Cancel Culture

I am a sexual assault survivor. I am the one in five women who will be sexually assaulted during college, according to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. I am also a part of the 90 percent of sexual assault victims on college campuses who do not report the assault. But, it may not be for the reason you think.

Read more »
1-5 of 6
Older ›
Oldest »