In Ylvis, An Anthem for Harvard Students

Ylvis' new music video.
Ylvis' new music video.

Just in time for the World Series, Norwegian band Ylvis has released a perfect paean to the Massachusetts loyalty that Harvard students harbor. In their new music video for “Massachusetts,” the long-tressed, Euro-pop trio—famous for their zoological philosophizing in “What Does the Fox Say?”go on a Bay State road trip that takes them to the Boston Library, Nelson Mandela’s home, and a homoerotic moment in a truck near Massachusetts Bay.

We were pleasantly surprised by this sudden Scandinavian interest in Massachusetts, and Flyby couldn’t help but be touched by Ylvis’ tribute to the state we know and love. Here are a few lyrics that caught our attention:

1. “Far away across the oceans / An undiscovered paradise / Forget New York and California / There’s a better place—now close your eyes.”

This speaks to the anxiety shared by Pilgrims in 1620, fleeing religious persecution for the “undiscovered paradise” of Plymouth, Massachusetts. It’s also a familiar feeling for California-born Harvard students as they make their yearly pilgrimage from home to Cambridge. As we know from the story of Thanksgiving, all the Pilgrims needed to do was “close [their] eyes,” and Squanto appeared, saving them from imminent famine due to their lack of farming skills. At Harvard, we close our eyes and HUDS appears with three meals a day, shielding us from imminent malnutrition due to our ability to cook only ramen.

2. “Just four hours from New York / Read amazing books for free at the Boston Library or try the local brie.”

This first line speaks to a fact that many NYC-born Harvard students treasure, as it allows them to go home on weekends to sleep soundly in their brownstones, have their parents do their laundry, and catch up with their prep school friends that go to Columbia. While we may not have to ride the T all the way to the Boston Public Library for access to “amazing free books,” we appreciate the luxury of having the 16 million books of the Harvard University Library available to us, even as we trudge over to Lamont at 2 a.m. in pajama pants. As for the local brie, one trip to the weekly farmer’s market in the Science Center Plaza will have you convinced of the superb quality of local dairy products.

3. “I can’t believe this place is real / Massachusetts / Can’t describe the way I feel / I live with Steve and John / Mark and Christopher and Tom / Teddy P. and Bruce.”

This captures pretty accurately the feeling of showing up for move-in day freshman year. For those of us assigned to a suite, the prospect of living with Steve, John, Mark, Christopher, Tom, Teddy P., and Bruce was all too real. It was difficult to “describe the way [one felt]"—that sharp mix of curiosity, giddiness, and dread. Yes, it was a relief to leave our parents, but how would we get along with our roommates? Would Steve play his rap music too loud? Would Christopher shower more than once a week? What if Teddy P. sexiled us during midterm season? Ultimately, of course, it turned out alright.

4. “Just because you’re kissin’ a man doesn’t make you gay / Confused / 1620 - the pilgrims came to town / Mayflower / Sometimes I watch 'The Lion King' and I cry when Mufasa dies / Prudential Tower.”

You really can’t get more universal than these themes. Sure, Massholes might judge you for a vast array of personal reasons, but sexual orientation sure isn’t one of them. As for "The Lion King," who hasn’t shed a tear when Simba’s dad dies? Bravo for the rhyme scheme between “Mayflower” and “Prudential Tower”—a juxtaposition that unites the old and the new in a progressive state rooted in cultural history.

5. “M-A-S-S-O-C-H-E-I / Massacheichei / Doesn’t sound right to me / Makkakoko / That’s way too many K’s.”

We’ve all been there. There’s no doubt that Massachusetts ranks next to Pennsylvania and Mississippi as the hardest state to spell on a fourth grade geography test. Now that we live here, let’s hope that we’ve all learned to spell the name correctly.

Yes, Ylvis, you've outdone yourself with this soaring anthem. Next time, come pay us a visit in Cambridge! (Yardfest, anyone?)

MusicMassachusettsFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.