The Return of the Plaza Skating Rink: 2014 Edition

•

Next month, Harvard will once again have its very own winter wonderland where you can fit in some figure-eights between your noon and 2 p.m. classes. Here’s everything you need to know about the Science Center Plaza ice skating rink:

Dates: Originally, the rink was scheduled to open on December 2 and close before finals, but weather delayed construction. The rink’s opening is now set for January 24 and it will remain open until around until mid-March, provided the weather stays cold enough.

Hours: Open seven days a week from noon to 9 p.m. (Weather permitting.)

Cost: The rink, jointly sponsored by Harvard Common Spaces, Campus Services, and Harvard Student Agencies, is completely free. Skate rentals, on the other hand, will cost you: HSA is charging $5 per rental.

Shoe sizes: HSA will offer skate sizes ranging from child to adult. If your feet do not fit, contact a physician or bring your own skates.

Who can use it? The rink is open to the public (not just students), so expect to see everyone—from your CS50 TF to the woman who helped you at CVS—zooming around in circles this winter. Luckily for older siblings, children 14 and under must be accompanied by an adult.

Legal restrictions? Anyone who wishes to skate must first sign a waiver of liability, which about 0% of students will actually end up reading. You might want to look at the fine print to make sure you’re not accidentally purchasing a timeshare in Hawaii or taking out an adjustable rate mortgage.

Lessons: Free skating classes will be available for free to anyone over the age of 14.

How many people at a time? HSA and Harvard Open Spaces have not officially released a limit yet, so we’ll just assume the number is infinite until someone yells at us.

Flyby CampusCommon Spaces Initiative

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.