Music Comes to New Haven

With screaming fans and drunken revelry, New Haven will probably be a noisy place this weekend. Here are some other
By Sarah Paul

With screaming fans and drunken revelry, New Haven will probably be a noisy place this weekend. Here are some other things to listen for on campus:

On Friday night at 8 p.m. the Yale and Harvard Glee Clubs will perform classical and athletic songs at their annual football concert in Woolsey Hall. Harvard's part of the program will include-sacred music of the Rennaissance, Hungarian and Slavic folksongs, and a rendition of Leonard Bernstein '39's "Lonely Men of Harvard," a popular work which David Wellborn '81, manager of the Club's summer tour, describes as "all about Harvard and how great it is," and "very obnoxious if we sang it anywhere but Yale."

The Yale Glee Club will sing a variety of classical and modern works, as well as the more traditional football fare. Both groups will join in singing the tow almamaters at the concert's close, and the Whiffenpoofs of '82 will entertain during and after intermission.

"We always have a lot of fun with these concerts," Wellborn said last week, adding, "There's a quasi-competitive spirit, combined with a sense of camraderie--they are a very fine glee club and we don't fight." Does this "comraderie" hinge at all on The Game's outcome? "Everyone cares about The Game," Wellborn said, "But as least we always win the concert."

Also Friday night, five a capella close harmony groups will perform as part of the Proof of the Pudding Jamboree: Yale's Proof of the Puddings, Spiswinks, and Red Hot and Blues, and Harvard's Din and Tonics, and newly-formed co-ed OpporTunes. The concert will be at 8 p.m. in Branford College dining hall.

Saturday belongs to the Harvard and Yale marching bands. After a full morning of rehearsals, the two groups will, in the words of Yale drum major David Polinsky, "shinny on over to the Bowl, leaving at least a half an hour for flogging through all that teeming humanity, with pit stops to play for alumni, and a one o'clock curtain."

Although he refused to reveal any details, Polinsky said last week that the Yale Band has "hopefully designed a show that will appeal to just about everyone in the stadium: Yalies, Harvardians, alumni, administrators and Yale townies."

Harvard drill master David Pinto '82 last week also declined comment on his band's show, except to say "our shows have been decent this year--it'll probably be very funny." He added that the group will perform "all the usual football stuff" (like "Harvardiana," "Veritas." "Grid Iron King," and Tom Lehrer's "Fight Fiercely Harvard) and will probably be very tired after having performed at the New York Harvard Club the night before. "Whether our team wins or loses we'll serenade them after The Game," Pinto said.

At 8 p.m. that night Woolsey Hall will ring once again with the sounds of victory and defeat, as the Whiffenpoofs present their Autumn Jamboree, aided by the Harvard Krokodiloes and the Yale Whim 'N Rhythms. Also at 8, the New Haven Symphonic Baroque Ensemble will perform at Sprague Hall.