Old Cabots Are Hard to Break

Some Harvard grads work on Wall Street. Others go into the Peace Corps. Nicholas N. Lau ’02 is a co-captain

Some Harvard grads work on Wall Street. Others go into the Peace Corps. Nicholas N. Lau ’02 is a co-captain of the Cabot House intramural soccer team.

A part-time waiter and bartender at the Faculty Club living in a Harvard Square apartment, Lau is reliving his college days while awaiting a pickup in the job market. “I’ve been more focused lately on business and finding a job, perhaps with an investment bank or a consulting firm,” Lau says. “I’m feeling very positive about the job prospects for this fall.”

In addition to his IM responsibilities, Lau is a member of the Cabot House Senior Common Room, where he is a biochemistry adviser and, more ironically, a pre-business adviser.

“I feel that I have a lot to offer to the House given that I’ve gone through the recruitment process,” he says.

While an actual Cabot resident he was secretary of intramural sports, playing football and soccer and rowing crew for the House. His favorite undergrad IM experience was rowing for the boat that won the Straus Cup in the spring of 2001. On that same crew boat, Lau made a love connection. “The girl who rowed on the third seat went with me to the formal,” Lau says with nostalgia. Now, however, there are strict rules against dating any of his advisees. “It’s one of the downsides of being an affiliate,” he says.

Lau defends his extended stay on the IM circuit as not too weird. “You don’t have to be an undergrad to be a House affiliate,” he says. Lau, while hopeful for a job, is comfortable with the present.

“I have developed a real bond with Cabot,” he says.

For The Moment