Summers Tennis Watch, Week 1

Last spring, in the spirit of fellowship, FM invited new University President Lawrence H. Summers to play a doubles tennis

Last spring, in the spirit of fellowship, FM invited new University President Lawrence H. Summers to play a doubles tennis match with editors Ben D. Mathis-Lilley ’03, Ben C. Wasserstein ’03 and Kenyon S.M. Weaver ’03. His office responded thusly:

I am responding on behalf of President Summers to thank you for your invitation for him to play some tennis with the Fifteen Minutes team and share some insights into the man behind the news stories. Unfortunately, the schedule between now and Commencement (and beyond) is pretty well packed, so that a relaxed game of tennis is not an easy thing to schedule. He hopes you understand. If we find that changes on the calendar open up possibilities, I will be in touch.

Best wishes.

Beverly Blake Sullivan

Executive Assistant to the President

We figured “(and beyond)” couldn’t possibly extend past our graduation. So, undaunted, we extended the invitation again this fall. We haven’t received a response yet, but even Larry Summers can’t hide in Mass. Hall forever. From this point forward we’ll provide weekly updates on the status of our offer as well as information on how the FM boys are training for the big match. The Summers Tennis Watch has begun...God save us all.

Scrutiny