More Than Peanuts and Crackerjack

Springtime in Boston is synonmous with baseball. And along with the peanuts and cracker jack, fans swear by baseball food
By Jack Muse

Springtime in Boston is synonmous with baseball. And along with the peanuts and cracker jack, fans swear by baseball food staples. Fenway franks—slathered in ketchup and accompanied by a cold beer and a seat in the bleachers—are as crucial to the Red Sox experience as the Green Monster. Before you can indulge in this ballpark delicacy, however, you have to find your way inside the Fenway confines—never an easy task.

Luckily, the Fenway area provides a host of alternatives. Catering to pre- and post-game revelers, as well as the overflow of ticketless fans, these bars and restaurants are great places to catch a bite to eat and some game-day atmosphere. No one—not even a soulless Yankees fan—will be disappointed by all that the Fenway has to offer.

Landsdowne Street

For sheer atmosphere, you can’t beat the vendors hawking greasy goods on Landsdowne St., right in the shadow of the Green Monster. Come before the first pitch and you’re bound to encounter hordes of fans, all of them primed to see a Sox victory. “Yankees Suck” chants are loud and frequent—sometimes even when the enemies from the Bronx aren’t in town. This type of environment better be what you’re looking for, because you don’t go to Landsdowne Street for the food. If you want something other than steak tips, hot dogs or sausages, you’ll probably better off elsewhere. Those who choose to stay should try the Sausage King, usually located across from the Cask n’ Flagon.

Boston Beer Works
61 Brookline Ave.
(617) 536-2337

Located directly across the street from Fenway, this high-traffic brewery is inevitably packed whenever the Sox are in town. While they offer a multitude of brews, including one with real blueberries floating in it, Boston Beer Works also has extensive food offerings. The 90-plus selections include the standard array of finger-foods (the sweet potato fries get particularly high marks), as well as more original dishes like the popular Ragin’ Cajun. But even if they’re just craving some cajun, those under 21 won’t get in.

109 Brookline
109 Brookline Ave.
(617) 247-1122

If you’re looking to move beyond nachos and burgers, 109 Brookline offers some more upscale entrees in addition to tried-and-true bar favorites. In sharp contrast to the sea of denim that greets you at most of the other restaurants, the hosts at 109 Brookline sport black slacks and white shirts that would seem more at home in Back Bay. The menu follows a similar track, with items such as lobster rolls and “Chipotle-Glazed Red Snapper.” Unfortunately, the prices are in sync with the rest of this trendy operation—most entrees run close to $15.

Boston Billiards Club
126 Brookline Ave.
(617) 536-7665

Boston Billiards Club provides a decent viewing alternative for all those not lucky enough to score game tickets. The cavernous interior houses pool tables, air hockey, couches and a gigantic television. Centrally located, the massive TV is easily viewed from any corner of the restaurant. While the menu is extremely limited, it covers all the basics and is served by attractive waitresses wearing short, black skirts with “Sox #1” emblazoned in silver studs on the rear. The price FM paid for the eye-candy, however, was lousy service.