Loves Him Like Only a Mother Could

With some protestors all but burning University President Lawrence H. Summers in effigy over his comments about the sexes’ innate
By Liz C. Goodwin

With some protestors all but burning University President Lawrence H. Summers in effigy over his comments about the sexes’ innate abilities, one voice that remains patently absent from the debate is Summers’ mom, Anita A. Summers.

Mrs. Summers spoke to The Crimson at length about her baby boy on the occasion of his fiftieth birthday last November.

“Even when he was three years old, you would say something to him and no matter what, he would respond with ‘No!’ and then he would argue,” she said. “It would drive you crazy, but this was his way of learning.”

Argumentative? Summers? Surely not!

“When he was a teenager, this became more difficult,” she added. “It was his form of testing boundaries.”

Mrs. Summers’ appreciation for her son’s antagonistic, difficult style would add new dimension to the debate surrounding our President.

But the super-sweet, ever-polite Mrs. Summers wasn’t as willing to talk this time. “I would prefer not to comment on this. I would like to see less news articles, not more. So I don’t want to comment.”

We understand, Mrs. Summers. But it sounds like someone should have listened to his mama.