Would you like balls with your bowl?
Would you like balls with your bowl?

High-Class Book Readin’ at the Kong

The Kong: fine for scorpion bowls and chicken dumplings, but an unlikely place to go for intellectual stimulation. Until now.
By Aditi Balakrishna

Last Monday, Charlie P. Pierce, a staff reporter for The Boston Globe’s Sunday Magazine, author, and frequent panelist on National Public Radio’s “It’s Only a Game” discussed his newest book, “Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything,” at Hong Kong restaurant in collaboration with Harvard Book Store and The Boston Phoenix.

“We wanted to hold this event someplace a little more free-wheeling than the bookstore,” Amanda Darling, the marketing manager for Harvard Book Store, writes in an e-mail. “Hong Kong seemed like a perfect place. It’s close to the bookstore, there’s a stage, and there’s a bar for some post-talk imbibing!”

ESPN coverage of Monday-night football on the Kong’s second-floor televisions perfectly complemented the subject material. Beer and appetizers from three large pupu platters peppered the tables, although the Chinese wall hangings belied the appearance of a sports bar.

Pierce kept his audience of about 30 engaged and chuckling as he read passages infused with wit and knowledge of Patriots football.

Not many Harvard undergraduates attended the talk, despite its location. The only person who appeared to be under the drinking age was Francis Corvino, a fourth grader from Belmont, Mass. Corvino speaks with authority when he talks about hearing Brady-related stories.

“Mostly, I just want to know how the heck he does it,” he says about the quarterback, proceeding to describe Brady’s habit of throwing to the “open man” rather than a favorite receiver.

The session concluded with numerous questions—two from Corvino—and a book signing.